Very rare old school 5-hunny

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by Leftcoast leftkicker, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Leftcoast leftkicker Husqvarna
    AA Class

2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    It's a twin
  3. Colo moto CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    7602racing.com
    I'm probably wrong on this, but I think that is the only 500 twin in existence. I vaguely remember reading an article saying that Edison Dye had requested a 500 twin for baja. I think it won the 1000 that year, but husky never produced them. :excuseme:
  4. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Wow that thing is amazing, makes me think of the "Yankee Z" twin.
  5. Stapleking Husqvarna
    A Class

In fact, they did make a few of them. One resides in a Seely-framed roadracing bike that had factory support for a brief foray into 500 cc. GP racing in the 70's. The bike is in the HVA company museum. :professor:
  6. Colo moto CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    7602racing.com
    Yeah, that's what it was, they made a few 500 twins for road racing, and the GP's, and then made that 1 for Edison and the baja race. :thumbsup:
  7. Leftcoast leftkicker Husqvarna
    AA Class

I think the only other is in Tom White's museum in SoCal
  8. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

I've never seen a multiple-cylinder 2 stroke merge the exhausts into a single expansion chamber. I wonder if the opposite cylinder interfered with the scavenging exhaust pulses. Did the cylinders fire in tandem? If so, I bet it were a bit vibey...
  9. Stapleking Husqvarna
    A Class

I think the off-road bike was a "twingle".* The roadracers were not and used two expansion chamber exhausts.

*I'll check
  10. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Pretty standard on 2 stroke snowmobile engines to have "Y" pipe to one spany.
  11. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

One must never forget the twin "Yankee" made of 2 Ossa motor made right here in Schenectady,NY. Some of my older club members rode them and boy.........look out where you pointed it because thats where it was going! A bike made in USA from foreign parts long before ATK.
    Theres one around me but I have never seen it and it is bad in need of a resto.

Joe
  12. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Wow, thanks for linking to item and sharing. That is amazing looking.:thumbsup:
  13. Stapleking Husqvarna
    A Class

From the Horse's mouth:

"...there were at least 2 or 3 versions of the twin. On the first version there were 2 independant cranks, linked with a splined sleeve. You could set the firing sequence anyway you wanted. If both cylinders fired at the same time the vibration was so bad the bike was unrideable; close to 180 degrees apart was best. A single exhaust pipe was used because space was limited and there was plenty of power anyway."

And there you have it.
  14. Colo moto CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    7602racing.com
    Awesome info stapleking. Thanks for digging for the details. :thumbsup:
  15. Stapleking Husqvarna
    A Class

Bin digging...more info: There were perhaps 10 of the 500 c.c. twins built by HVA. It was designed by Urban Larsson, who now works for us [yes, he is old]. The design was then sold/tranferred to Folan, a small Swedish engineering co. who modified it to water-cooled. They built 100 or so of them, in various displacements, using Husky barrels, pistons, etc. on a custom-order basis. Most if not all went into sidecar racers. See attached pic.

View attachment 593

Attached Files:

16. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Wow that thing is amazing, makes me think of the "Yankee Z" twin.

One must never forget the twin "Yankee" made of 2 Ossa motor made right here in Schenectady,NY. Some of my older club members rode them and boy.........look out where you pointed it because thats where it was going! A bike made in USA from foreign parts long before ATK.
    Theres one around me but I have never seen it and it is bad in need of a resto.

Joe
    http://www.yankeetwin.com/
  17. Stapleking Husqvarna
    A Class

There was a Yankee on E-bay a 'couple years ago. I was tempted.....

Also, apparently the water-cooled Husky twin was slated for production, but then the company was bought by Electrolux and the bike operation sold to Cagiva. Cagiva did nothing with the design, probably due to a chronic lack of $$$. So, it died at Folan.