1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

VDO Odometer

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Eric The Leg, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Eric The Leg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 WR400, 1985 WRX400, 1979 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 Kawasaki KZ 440
    Was going through my part box and contemplating these:
    0331161909.jpg 0331161959.jpg
    So, appears to be an odometer and the affiliated drive.The drive works, but could stand a good cleaning.
    Can anyone tell me more?

The drive appears to be missing the part that usually this looks like a washer with a finger sticking out of it to track the wheel rotations. Can anyone tell me where to get one?

I was thinking of mounting on my WRX since I'm currently without any sort of gage and it's supposed to have a speedometer (a little redneck I know).

On a side note, has anyone got a good source of husky speedo cables?
  2. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    YEA WHAT HE SAID I HAD ALL THAT AND SOLD IT TO A FORUM MEMBER I NEED THE DISK WITH THE PINS FOR THE DRIVE A DRIVE AND A CABLE THAT OR SOMETHING FROM TRAIL TECH AND HAS ANYBUDDY GOT A BRAKE LIGHT SET UP TO WORK OFF THE FRONT I'V SPENT $25 ON SWITCHES SO FAR CANT GET ETHER ONE TO WORK:banghead:
  3. Eric The Leg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 Kawasaki KZ 440
    You list your Husky as an 87, that has hydraulic front brakes, have you tried a banjo bolt with a built in pressure switch?
  4. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    I don't know if you need an accurate speedo, but .... the "Enduro Racer" was not really a speedo from memory. It was calibrated to show a 24 mph average and time ! .... Somehow ! The wheel unit needs to be the correct one for whatever speedo head you choose.
    ajcmbrown likes this.
  5. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    there is no banjo bolt at the M/C I have looked for a inline switch their seems to be no such thing:excuseme:
  6. wrx Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 to 1986 husky's various models
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM -250 / Buell / Penton 400 mc5
    Troy, Harley has an inline switch. part # 72023-51E . hit up your local Harley dealer they should have it in stock. $21.50 retail.
    troy deck likes this.
  7. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    In-line hydraulic switches and blocks are available. As wrx said !
    They are a little bulky though. You could use a banjo bolt switch on the master cylinder. Most Jap bike ones will fit. Just check the thread.
    Shame I am in the UK, as we have them on the shelf.
  8. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    That is a speedometer. In my experience and from what the dealer said years ago they do not work for long. The drive works with the cable and odometer that came on the Italian bikes until they went to a magnetic sensor. I have been told ktm and similar odometers are the same ratio. The odometer can be set back and forth, as I recall the speedometer can just reset to zero. If you follow a route sheet like you get when entering an enduro the speedometer is of marginal value. Dual sport rides generally are route sheeted for the reset to zero. Can not recall which format the turkey runs use.
  9. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    i'd bet money theres no way in hell the thread would match
  10. Eric The Leg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 Kawasaki KZ 440
    Troy,
    I have 3 metric bikes (1 Kawasaki, 2 Husqvarna). Many of the same bolts fit all three bikes. My Kawasaki currently has several parts, including a brake line, purchased from a Harley dealer. Those hogs have metric threads on them just like our dogs (well maybe not 'just like', Harleys do have some SAE too, which our Huskies should not).

Fran..k, I immediately realized how an odometer could be useful in an enduro once I got looking at it. That and a watch would be far more useful for timing a trip than a speedometer. I can't get my truck to keep a steady speed in cruise control (mountains and traffic), let alone a jumpy dirt bike cycling in and out of the power band.
    Darrel78 likes this.
  11. chew652 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 250 wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    1978 Triumph T140
    I actually have a brand new VDO Enduro Racer for sale. It works with a VDO 1:42 speedometer drive and the odo is resettable for any milage as are all VDOs for Huskys made back then. As you move the odometer forward the needle moves also at 0.4 miles = 1minute.
  12. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    If it helps Eric, the WRX I have came with the speedo but the headlight was pirated off prior to my ownership. The stock speedo on the WRX was a Nippondenso with Husqvarna trademark labeling. They stopped using VDO because of cost perhaps with the introduction of the milktrucks in 1983. That is a guess on my part as my 1982 WRs came to me pirated of all lighting and speedometers
    Eric The Leg likes this.
  13. Eric The Leg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 Kawasaki KZ 440
    The only plastic on my 85 worth keeping was the gas tank. All I got for electronics were the stator, rotor, coil and voltage regulator. Even the kill switch was missing.
    The VDO setup came from a box of husky parts that came along with one of the earlier bike purchases. Probably my 86, which also came with a Nippon Denso unit on it.
    Right now my priority is getting the bike in riding condition and digging trenches. This is more of a side bar for now.
  14. Palito Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR300, 1986 430AE Auto
    Other Motorcycles:
    1989 DR600
    The 'Enduro Racer' speedo is not really a speedo in the sense that it will not tell you your current speed. These VDO units were modified and sold by Husky Products in the late seventies and early eighties. If you ride at a constant 24 miles per hour, the needle on the face points to minute as if it were a clock face. It was a way of maintaining the seed average in AMA enduros in that time period. This was before the computers came out. You would also have a face clock on the handle bars and if you maintained the 24 mph speed average both the 'speedo' and clock needles would be pointing to the same minute. It was a way of pacing your self, if the time clock needle got ahead of the 'speedo' needle then you hade to speed up until they matched.

I've been looking for one for years now for a period restoration, PM me if you would sell it.

Paul.
  15. chew652 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 250 wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    1978 Triumph T140
  16. Terry M Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 CR250 1976 WR250 1983 XC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Bultaco Pursang
    Is it still for sale?
  17. chew652 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 250 wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    1978 Triumph T140
    I sold it to Palito.
  18. Palito Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR300, 1986 430AE Auto
    Other Motorcycles:
    1989 DR600
    I have already purchased it from 'chew652'.
    Sorry about your luck, but I was finally in the right place at the right time.
    Paul.
  19. Eric The Leg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 Kawasaki KZ 440
    Mine is not for sale.
  20. Eric The Leg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 Kawasaki KZ 440
    Question for the VDO fans out there. I've got the following speedo drive and round insert for my WRX front hub:
    0926161912.jpg 0926161912a.jpg
    They appear to go together as follows:
    0926161912b.jpg

The pegs in the round insert are about 14.25MM long and barely rotate the speedo drive. In looking at the parts manual, it appears they should be 15mm long, so appears they were worn down at some point. .

My plan includes:
    Clean everything up nicely (any tips are appreciated).
    press 15mm pegs into the round insert.
    Pull out the round insert currently in the rim using my blind bearing puller set (that one is incomplete).
    heat rim, cool round insert, press it in more-or-less like a bearing.
    Reassemble wheel/speedo drive/axle.
    Grease speedo drive.

3 questions:
    Any missing steps?
    Any specifics on the grease I should be using on the Speedo drive? I notice it's not a standard Zerk fitting.
    Final question, I remember reading someplace that a felt ring goes between the round insert and the speedo drive. How thick should that be? Is that something I cut from fabric store felt, or should be picking it up online someplace?