1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Vapor Display - Tach on 511

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by River-Runner, Mar 24, 2017.

1. River-Runner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511, 2012 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 KTM690 Enduro
    MY12 - TE511. When I picked up this bike I also bought a TrailTec Vapor, people couldn't get the tach to work on the Vapor 450/511 combination. I haven't followed up since then with the group.

Since then, anybody get the Tach to work on the 450/511 vapor display?

How and where did you wrap the pickup sensor wire to make it work?

I've got things pulled apart and might as well make the tach work if possible.

Thank you.
  2. motsitruc Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    nope
    You'll need the tach cable with the wired in resistor.

You need to tap into the black/red cable in the ignition coil plug, this is pin 3. Make a de-pin tool from a bladed bicycle spoke if you don't have one. Remove the black/red wire/pin from the plug and wrap the stripped end of the red tach sensor cable around it, seal it up with bit of shrink insulation and put everything back. Tap the black tach wire into any ground.

This setup has worked without issue for me for the past 12+ months on a 2011 SMR511. If you do it right it's neat and clean.

I could never get the tach to work by wrapping the red cable around the spark plug. The spark plug/coil pack wouldn't even seat back into place and seal with the wrap method.

I've also got the lights tapped in as well, so have fuel, indicators, h-beam LEDs working. Can't remember off the top of my head the exact wires and you need to make up a circuit board to get the correct fuel light operation. I can dig up the schematic if you need.
  3. magwych Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 450 ;CCM GP450 ;BMW R1200GSA
    Motstruc, are you wrapping the tach signal wire around the outside of the insulated coil feed; or, is it electrically connected to it . E.g. a soldered joint?
  4. motsitruc Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    nope
  5. Padowan Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R850GS, Yamaha TTR250
    I managed to get a Tacho signal using the wrap method for my Apico hour-meter. What I needed to do was solder a much thinner tail onto the signal-wire as the supplied signal wire was too fat. I used a single core out of an old USB cable I had lying around. With this, I could get half a dozen turns around the lower end of the coil, covered with a layer of insulation tape all fitting snugly, without force, down into the plug tube. Works perfectly.