Upgrading a 2000 TE 610 E with IMS 5 gallon tank, need help from 06 - 09 TE 610 owner

Discussion in '610/630' started by al jorgensen, Apr 3, 2014.

1. al jorgensen My first motorized vehicle had a Husky engine

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    630, 610, WXE 610, TE 450, WXE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Mostly Italian Stuff
    I purchased a 2000 TE 610 E in 2001 from Husqvarna USA (Ferracci) after a friend of mine had it as a 'demo bike' from new but did not use it (less than 1,000 KM). The first two years I rode it a lot including a few week long rides, Baja, Northern California and Colorado but after moving to Nevada the fuel tank (17 liter Acerbis) was just not big enough. To make it worse, the 17 liter Acerbis tank only really allows you to use about 15 liters because the fuel in the 'flaps' is trapped below the petcock level so unless you are really good at lofting the front wheel, you cannot use it. I also have one of the original KTM LC4 Adventure's with a 7.5 gallon tank and a Cagiva (Ducati) Elefant with rear tanks so the Husky languished in a corner most of the time awaiting a front suspension upgrade and a bigger tank. Well, following a 3 year hiatus (because of botched eye surgery) I am getting back to riding dirt again but being older I am looking for something lighter to ride in the dirt so the Husky is coming back into focus! The front suspension upgrade was accomplished just before my involuntary hiatus courtesy of a circa 03 Marzocchi usd works fork sourced from Italy so only the fuel tank upgrade was left. I therefore recently purchased an IMS tank designed for the 06 to 09 TE 610 model knowing that it will not be a 'bolt on' option but I figured that MVA (or BMW) would not have bothered to make dramatic changes to the main frame which dates back to the original 1991 610. The only issues encountered so far are the rear mount and the seat pan. I can make up a new rear mount and purchase new seat pan but I am looking for information, specifically the height of the top of the rear mount bracket that supports the tank and I am right in suspecting that only the seat is holding the tank in place in the rear?
  2. Jonnymotox Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1995 and 2001 Husqvarna TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 Honda CR500's Vintage Bikes 1968+
    I'm looking for a Bigger tank for my 2001 610 TE, please post some pictures of your conversion, I have the Stock tank but want more range, Does anyone make one for this specific bike or do I have to do what you've done here?
    Thanks
  3. Rockchucker22 Husqvarna
    A Class

Yes the seat is what holds the rear of the tank, I'll take a picture and see if that helps at all.
  4. Rockchucker22 Husqvarna
    A Class

5. al jorgensen My first motorized vehicle had a Husky engine

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Mostly Italian Stuff
    Gentlemen, Thank you for your replies. There was a 19 liter tank (5 US Gallon) made by Acerbis that was available from Husqvarna for the 91 to 99 (kick start only) Husky 610 series which will fit the 2000 - 2005 TE 610 but on the E Start models you will have to loose the fan. I have one of those on my 91 WXE 610 and have tried it on the 2000 TE 610 E and it works (without the fan). These tanks should be easier to find (used) than the 17 liter (4.5 US Gallon) tanks (also made by Acerbis) that Husky used on Aussie versions of the 2000 - 2003 TE 610 E model but very few of those tanks were sold in the U.S. as accessories. However, both of these tanks traps about 1/2 a gallon plus below the petcock level in the flaps so you really only have less than 4 or 4.5 gallon respectively of useful fuel (the IMS appears to be a genuine 5 gallon tank). In Nevada that can literally mean the difference between riding or walking the last 15 - 20 miles because of the scarcity of fueling stations in most of the state. In my experience, it is quite safe to take off the fan if you replace the radiator hoses with those from a kick start only model and loose the thermostat, even if you ride a lot of single track trails, like Frazier Park, :-). IMHO, the only reason for the complicated radiator hose setup on the 2000 - 2003 TE 610 E models is because in Europe they were equipped with catalysts and needed to get up to (and maintain) operating temperature quickly to make the catalyst work (the thermostat arrangement restricts the water flow to the left radiator only until the thermostat opens up). BTW, thank you for the picture and confirmation that the rear of the tank is only held in place by the seat! I'll post pictures once I am done with my conversion, Al Jorgensen
  6. Tim Collings Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2000 SM610S
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 Suzuki DL1000
    I just picked up one of the tanks you speak of (I think), because my dealer installed it and had to remove my radiator fan. Call Halls Cycles in Springfield, IL as they may have another.
    (217) 789-0107 and ask for the parts department.
    Good Luck.
    Tim
  7. al jorgensen My first motorized vehicle had a Husky engine

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Mostly Italian Stuff
    End of the trail for this thread but yes, the pre-2000 big tanks work, just loose the fan and convert the radiator hoses to the off-road model, i.e. loose the thermostat!