Update on knee surgeries

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by mxer74, Nov 15, 2010.

1. mxer74 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hello all,
    Long time, no talk. In case anyone might be interested or was curious, just thought I would give a quick update on my injury. My total damage was both meniscus were torn, ruptured/sperated my patella tendon, and a torn ACL. The docotor said my injuries were so complicated and rare (combined) that she is making me a "case study" and documenting everything.....I've made history haha :D. I had my initial first surgery about 2 weeks after the accident in which they repaired both torn meniscus and my ruptured patella tendon. In order for the patella tendon to heal, I had to have my knee completely immobile/straight for the proceeding 7 weeks (I guess they drilled several holes into my knee cap and more or less stuffed the tendon into these holes to help it merge back together). Within that 7 week timeframe, my knee completely locked up with scar tissue and after about 3 weeks of physical therapy I could only move it about 25 degrees. SO, just last Friday I went in for my second surgery which was an arthoscopic scope to remove as much scar tissue as possible that way along with re-opening my intial patella tendon scar to scrape all the scar tissue off around my knee cap.......and to top it off they did a manipulation while I was out. I woke up from that surgery with a little over 100 degree of movement in my knee which was awesome! I am now doing physical therapy again and sleep in a CPM machine every night. I still have a torn ACL and will have a surgery sometime in middle/late December to repair that. Below are some pictures throughout the process :). Ride hard and safe! Peace.

Sitting in ER right after accident....before they reset my knee (notice the knee cap is a BIT outta place)
    [IMG]

Before my first surgery....had to wait for the swelling to go down
    [IMG]

After the first surgery and after the first 45 staples were removed
    [IMG]

After second surgery in hospital and have TONS of movement.....man that epidural felt good
    [IMG]

What my knee looks like now after the second surgery
    [IMG]

Sitting in physical therapy doing some electrical stuff.....feels weird
    [IMG]
  2. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Groady pix, but glad you are making good progress!:thumbsup:
  3. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Much thanks for the update, and yes I've been curious how things were going with you.

Glad to see you are slowly getting better. :)
  4. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    keep up the rehab!! glad to hear the report! ugly but glad you are making progress!!
  5. Colo moto CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    7602racing.com
    Blake,

Glad things are getting better. I know you want them better now, but at least you are making forward progress. You will be back roosting corners before you know it.
  6. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

For those of us that don't know what happened - what did you do to cause so much damage to the knee?
  7. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Wow, alot worse than I imagined. Hang in there and get back up on your feet as soon as you can! Best regards!
  8. oldskool63 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Nasty, I feel your pain. Car wreck in '06 shattered my right patella and they removed about 1/2 of it. Man was it painful. Knees like circles so my cycling helped me rehab pretty well. You will lose muscle mass in your quad, takes time,time, time. Wish you the best mate.
  9. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Thanks for the update Blake. We were worried about you man! Good to hear you are on the mend.

If it's any consolation, Cody is making great use of stuff you sold to us! :thumbsup:

Hope you continue to heal well. Best of luck Blake. :thumbsup::cheers: