1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Up-Tite pipe on 88 400WR, jetting advice?

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by ajcmbrown, Mar 14, 2017.

1. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400WR 250WR 07 WR500 430AE 360AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 500CR Ducati Multistrada 1200S
    Hi all, I have fitted a Up-Tite pipe to my 88 400WR and it has made a big difference in mid range power, but I fear I may be on the lean side of safe.
    Can anyone suggest some jetting that would suit the pipe better than stock?
    P.S. I sent George a PM but never heard anything.
    Tony.
  2. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC

George is moving, be patient, as for the question I did not do much with my jetting
    if it starts the same the bottom is good, pin the throttle after it's fully warmed up, should bubble just at redline
    the needle you can experiment, nice part of these you can jet with the carb in place
  3. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400WR 250WR 07 WR500 430AE 360AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 500CR Ducati Multistrada 1200S
    Thanks for the advice 2premo, it starts and runs great, but I feel as though I may need to richen it up on the main or needle. I'll try raising the needle on clip position and see how it feels.

"George is moving, be patient"
    I tend to think I'm a patient kind of guy. Check the date.

"ajcmbrown Hi George, great to see that you are here on CafeHusky, recently I purchased (not yet received) one of your pipes second hand for my 1988 400WR, the pipe was originally on a 1987 430XC, would you know if I need to re-jet or move any of the mounts? Any help appreciated.
    Regards, Tony Brown
    Jul 28, 2015
    EditDeleteHouse Keeping"Comment
  4. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    that was a while ago, can I recommend trying again
    ajcmbrown likes this.
  5. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    tony its easy. go up 1 size on the main. drop the needle 1 clip and ride it. if it drags or blubbers (feels like you have touched the rear brake) as you open on to the main jet then takes off hard, its prob too rich put the clip back and try again. if its feels ok, drop the clip 1 more. if you are happy with the needle, go up another main jet size till it loses its crispness and blubbers a bit on full throttle. go back a size until its nice again. changing the pipe doesn't always need a major change in jetting. don't forget to mark 1/4 1/2 way points on your throttle travel so you can check if your in the needle (1/2) or mj (full) range when riding.
    unleaded fuels color the plugs funny so its very hard to get any info from them now.
  6. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Start with the balance screw. It should be 1/2 to 1 1/2 turns out for the best, smooth idle. Change pilots till the screw is within range. I put my needle in the third groove for starters. Once the lower end of the circuit is close now as said above go bigger on the main till it's blurbery then back off till it's good on the high end. Then play with the needle till it's crisp.

Jetting once doesn't always mean it's right. I do some three times as it cleans up. The carb circuit over laps. Make sure your needle and seat is good and your air filter is clean.