Tyler Bowers - Out For Rest Of Year

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by ray_ray, Apr 19, 2015.

1. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    This is the 250cc rider that was banging bars so much at the opening rounds of the SX season in case you don't know who he is ... He came over from arena racing as a champion this yr and was competitive in the first part of the season ... Might be the first to come over from arena racing? Heal up young man ... Maybe consider college if you have the chance...

--

Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki Team rider Tyler Bower announced today that he will be sitting out the rest of the Supercross and the entire outdoor AMA Pro Motocross Championship due to an on-going issue with his back.

Here is an open letter from Bowers explaining his unfortunate situation:
    I was planning on releasing this statement after the East/West shootout in Vegas, but unfortunately things have had to move up. I will be unable to compete in the Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship and the remaining rounds of Monster Energy Supercross to undergo surgery to my lower back. I have been dealing with two compressed discs as well as displacement of the L5 vertebrae resulting in sharp pain and numbness down my leg while sitting, driving, bending over, twisting or when I lower my chin.

The pain has now become constant and I have been unable to find any relief through medication, therapy, exercise, etc. I wear flip flops often because I am unable to bend down to put on or tie my shoes without severe pain. I have been mis-shifting my bike which led me to try a smaller boot size, but it was actually me losing the ability to control my foot. I now have sensations that something is crawling up my leg, but when I look down there is nothing there. My leg has now begun to tremble and it gives out on me as well. Never wanting to quit, I went to Houston to give it my best effort. Throughout practice, I struggled to deal with the pain as well as frustration from the limits my body has placed on me. I pushed myself during the Heat race and felt horrible afterwards. In the Main, it was evident that it was not safe for myself or the other racers to have me on the track. Mitch, Dr. Navarro and I spoke after the race and it was decided that I should move my surgery up and allow me to be able to recover from my back issue sooner, allowing me to focus on a strong future rather than continuing to struggle through this current season.

I feel gutted having to pull out of the series knowing how much work goes into my Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki team. This opportunity has been a dream come true for me considering at one point in my career I was forced to split and sell firewood to make ends meet. I told Mitch when he signed me that I will not be sidelined by broken bones as I have raced three days after having collarbone surgery and five days after having ankle surgery in the past. However, it is difficult to not feel like I have let my team down. Every member of the team from the crew at the shop to the race team work so hard each day and I will be thinking of them as I do my part to get back to being able to make their efforts pay off.

I want to say thank you to my team and sponsors for their continued support. My fans have been awesome and are one of the reasons I pushed so hard to continue to be at the races. I’d like to congratulate Cooper on his championship. I want to thank my doctors and staff including Dr. Navarro, Nataly & Amanda who worked so hard to get me through as long as possible. A heartfelt thank you to my Queen and future wife, Bradi for all that she does to get me through everyday, it’s always an adventure!

Thanks for reading,

TB911
  2. jimjim Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    gasgas
    Back problems are a bitch.
  3. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    No joke ... That swollen\compressed disc problem has been a constant my entire life ... People that have it usually have a life time of issues ... Maybe care for it has gotten through the yrs, not sure ... I crushed a vertebra (a ~decade ago) and lucky enough almost no issues today... Lost about an inch in height though ...The structure of the backbone is a miracle by its' self. CAT scans are a big-time advancement also ...

A young guy like him pushing the issue does nothing good .... When I crashed, I layed like a baby for ~15 minutes in the dirt, drank a couple beers, and rode home on the bike. Totally stupid on my part... Lucky I can still move today ...

Best wishes to this 911 hard-charger ...
    LandofMotards likes this.
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Read that the other day, very thoughtful letter. He will be back, he is a tough dude, fast too.
  5. TemecuCoastie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FC250 and 2012 TC250