1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

TXC310R Vs YZ250FX

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by CrankN, Jan 26, 2015.

1. CrankN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Hey guys, have had my eye on the '14 TXC310R for a while now. I haven't ridden one but have read a fair bit about them on Café Husky and can get a brand newie for around $7000 aussie dollars.

Enter the Yammy YZ250FX.
    Now this is an exciting machine and in my opinion targets the same market that the above Husky does. Aussie price for this bike is around $11,500.

Am looking for a hand from you guys to do a cross comparison of these bikes and from this I can make a better decision. A lot of you have ridden the TXC and can give great input but as the FX is a new bike on the market (and a Yammy) I'd guess most of us will base our opinions on reviews we have read and the fact that it's based closely on the YZ and WR. Because of this I imagine it gives us a better platform to base our opinions on.
    I have been reading the info you guys have been posting on the FX specific thread here and it seems like most agree it will be a great bike for what it's built for.

Oh I should mention that I come of years of riding KDX200's, a few 250 4T, a 450 4T and now ridding a mates 300exe. Based on this, and what I've read, I believe a 310cc would be a suitable bike size for me although I know a lot of people are stating the new YZ250FX is a very powerful bike for it's size. Hence this thread.
    I don't want you to query me on my riding styles etc. but moreso concentrate on how the bikes differ and why you would choose each bike. If we can get some good info here then I will be able to evaluate 'which bike' for myself.
    Hey, if you want to talk about KTM's equivalent go ahead.

I thought I would check out the spec sheet and compare spec notes Won't tell you much about the rideability of each bike but it's a start.
    Wheel base, seat height, dry weight, everything seems to be very similar.

Husky http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles...qvarna/2014-husqvarna-txc-310-r-ar163147.html
    Yammy http://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/products/motorcycle/offroad/enduro/15-yz250fx-0

Some factors to start us off.
    The TXC is a run out bike that is a few years old in design against the FX which is pretty much the latest and greatest in MX design.
    The engines sizes are different but this might not be a disadvantage.
    The FX is a kilo lighter but the FXC has an extra litre of fuel in the tank = similar wet weight.

What are your thoughts?
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The Yamaha will be more reliable and solid. The husky will probably turn better. $4500 is a lot of money.
    robertaccio likes this.
  3. CrankN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Yep, a good selling point but don't want price to be 'the' reason to go for the Husky at this time.
  4. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
  5. Rob1965 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TXC 310r
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 TXC 310r, 2015 Yamaha 250fx
    I have a 13 and 14 310 and love them for their throttle response and handling. They have way too many design flaws in my opinion. Since the FX is new and I have not ridden one or know anyone that has one, it's too early to judge other than reviews available online. I can tell you we are looking very seriously at them for future purchase. I have owned a 2011 YZ 450f and it was the best bike mechanically I have owned and fun to ride, just too much in tight woods we ride. If you are not mechanically inclined, I would go with the Yami.
    CrankN and Norman Foley like this.
  6. Teambowles Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    19 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    19 ktm 6 days excf 450 n excf 500
    YZ for all the reasons above
    robertaccio likes this.
  7. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
  8. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    They're both great but if money isnt a concern at all I'd say yz250fx and hopefully athena puts out a 290 kit soon :).
    Yamaha is the only non euro bike i would consider. Was a yamaha guy before husky. They never really shine anywhere but as far as an overall package, they always seem to be great. Good luck with whatever you decide. You owe us a review now regardless of what you get
    CrankN and LAHuskyrider like this.
  9. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Does anyone else feel sick saying buy some other brand? The txc310 is awesome but it's gone
    LAHuskyrider likes this.
  10. CrankN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Had a quick look at the comparison between his new XF and his 350. Here is his points

"I was torn between the Yamaha and the KTM 250xc-f. There were several things that pushed me towards the Yamaha.

1. The front suspension is lightyears better than the KTM 4cs fork. This is the main reason I went blue.
    2. The electric start on this bike starts crazy fast compared to my 350 and I even have a Shorai battery in the KTM.
    3. It was significantly cheaper. Around $1000.00 out the door.
    4. The motor on this bike has lots of low end. I suppose having a long header that wraps around the motor gives it extra torque. Whatever it is it works. Its pretty close to my 350 down low and not too far off on the top end.

The main thing I miss already is the hydraulic clutch. I forgot how much a cable clutch wears my arm out. I see a rekluse in this bikes future."

All good points of interest. I wonder if anyone did a comparison between the TXC and XC-F?
    Looked at the KTM website and then started checking out the 200 and 250 2T's :)
    Back on track....
  11. CrankN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    I like this idea :)
  12. 310huskyTE Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE 350, 2011 Meo.
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 CR250, 71 400 Cross, 78 CR250
    I feel sick saying it, but honestly it's the right thing to say. I rode yamahas before I switched to Huskys and they are reliable bikes. I hate to say it but the black head and red head bikes are underpowered, I think the YZ 250 fx will be similar power, if not more than a 310 X-light. If it were my decision I'd go the yammi. I'm testing one this Saturday so I'll report back and let you know what I think
    LandofMotards and CrankN like this.
  13. brentk660 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 txc310r
    I have a 13 txc310r, so I may be a little biased. Coming from many jap bikes, both converted mx bikes and dedicated woods bikes, I was surprised at how comfortable I felt on the husky. Granted, I believe the huskys are about 90% "finished" from the factory and the rest is up to you to dial in. Stuff like the starter issues/recal, the crazy radiator hose octopus that rubs on everything, the stupid oil return line to the bottom of the engine, etc. are all easily remedied with factory and/or aftermarket parts. It just takes some time and thankfully with the community here there's tons of info on the abc's of doing the work. With the price the bikes are/were going for (I got mine brand new for 5k) it's hard to beat.
    Having said that, I have riding buddies with very sorted yz250fs that are setup for off-road (290 kits, rekluse clutch, big tanks, suspension work etc) and they're very comparable to the husky stock. They seem to be more top end oriented vs the husky, but the power is pretty comparable. I know with that you get Yamaha reliability and parts are everywhere.
    For me it was a leap to go Euro bike, but looking back I'm very happy. That new yz250fx sounds very interesting though, would love to see how it compares to my buddies modded yz's.
  14. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    Support and parts for that Husky Can be a problem. But lot of $$$$ difference
  15. Boogie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Red head
    What about a Sherco 300 SEFR?

If I was in your situation I'd be comparing Sherco vs Yamaha.

Nothing against the txc310... I like my 310 a lot but, they're not being made anymore and the Sherco is the latest-greatest 300cc four stroke.
  16. Boogie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Red head
    Could ask the dealer to put together a $4000 recommended spares kit for the txc310 (including availability) and this might answer your question.

By the way, my 2013 310 is going strong with no major issues at 3600kms and approx 120hrs
    CrankN and Rob1965 like this.
  17. fire1998 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I've got both bikes in my garage. I rode and raced a 13 310TXC for the last 2 years. Other than the rad hoses leaking, bike has been solid. Always fires up just a touch of the button. Motor is....well.....awesome!! Fuel injection is spot on. The 310 has been the best handling bike I've raced. Whenever I think I'm in trouble the bike just pulls thru and carries my ass. Suspension has been revalved. Stock suspension pretty much sucked for my 205 lbs and skill level. Now it's sweet. I've never been able to stay in rut turns without popping out. No problem on 310.

I've only got a few miles of break in time on Yamaha YZFX. A ride report will have to wait as I broke my 5th metacarpal last week. Plate and 7 screws. What I can tell ya about FX is the motors feels like it's got a big bore in it. Almost zero vibes thru handlebars. Fits my 6' 4" frame great. Front of radiators doesn't bother me at all. I'm going nuts not being able tide the Yami.
    I am said the 310 is going to a new home. If it was me I would pick up the 310 and save 4k. 4k is a lot of parts. My wife bought the YZFX for Xmas otherwise I was planning on riding 310 for another year. Feels like a security blanket!!!
    Motosportz likes this.
  18. CrankN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    That's a 'yay' for the TXC and a 'boo' for the injury mate. That ride comparison would have been perfect ;)
    Is great to here the little 250's can put out some good power these days.
  19. JimBob Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE310R
    I have the TE310 with racing mods so it's basically a TXC. I love the bike now. There were a few "issues" with the bike at first but honestly I think it gets better the more hours I put on it. Had some flame out issues early on but those seem to be gone. Had the radiator hose issue but a $10 spacer kit from Ty Zip fixes that. The oil return system is goofy and I might get the bypass this summer but that doesn't affect the power or handling, just a re-routing and simplification is all. For me this is the best handling woods/trail bike I've had in the past 35 years. You name it, I've raced it. This bike feels lighter than the scales say, it has very usable power throughout the very broad power band. It will lug adequately, has a wonderful midrange and pulls surprisingly long on top. It's quirky from a design/maintenance standpoint but still a very good motorcycle, I'd say it's the best Italian Husky ever.
    I've had at least 4 Yamaha WRs and they are very reliable, very solid motorcycles. Fit and finish is absolutely top notch. The Yamaha motor has proven to be one of if not the most reliable 4Ts available. If they made a 350fx I'd say it would be an easier decision. For me the WR450 is just way too much motorcycle for my ability and style/terrain. It's feels very big in the woods and is more than a handful in technical areas. In more open spaces it is an absolute blast, but I don't have much of that here. The WR250 is a very good motorcycle and I have not ridden the new bike but the last generation machine was underpowered compared to the 310, which you would expect. If you are the type of rider that bounces off the rev limiter you'll go just as fast on the Yami as the Husky. You will need to be a hands on maintenance/mechanic to live with the Husky, not so much the Yami. I like to wrench so that aspect doesn't bother me, and I could spend $4000 very practically on other stuff. For me it would be the Husky and the cash.
    Motosportz likes this.
  20. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    $4500 still won't fix the starter design on the 310