1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

TXC310 2012 vs 2013 Pistons

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by The Gazzman, Sep 12, 2022.

1. The Gazzman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC310R 2013 model
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda ST1100 ABS-TCS, XR600R
    Please note the following:
    1. Both years have the same crankshaft
    2. Both years share the same gudgeon pin (16mm)
    3. Both years share the same piston ring set but have different piston kits

So whats the difference? I found a good link for Pro-x 2012 part 01.6342.A which provides the specs. Refer
    https://prox-usa.com/-01.6342.a

I then compared this with measurements for the original 2013 OEM piston with approx 200 hours on it. There is some carbon build-up on the top which makes it less than completely accurate.

Please see the diagram attached below. The main area of concern is D (the compression height?). It is hard to measure with a casting ridge in the way. The piston deck is approx 14.62mm thick. Once you go the edge of the gudgeon pin then D is closer to 16.00 mm, putting it almost 1mm higher.

Would someone verify this and try to contact pro-x locally to confirm the rationale for the non-inclusion of the 2013 model. I am trying to do this in Australia without interest.

Regards
    The Gazzman

Attached Files:

2. The Gazzman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC310R 2013 model
    Other Motorcycles:
    "D" for the OEM is closer to 16.3mm with the piston crown clean and the caliper on the raised centre. So the pro-x has a flatter crown and is about 1.3mm shorter in compression height, and would lower the compression ratio in a 2013 engine. This would be ok for someone who is skimming the head/barrels.
    flyingbob likes this.
  3. The Gazzman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC310R 2013 model
    Other Motorcycles:
    It maybe an interesting excercise to find out how many generic pistons are close to these specifications. For example who makes 81.96mm diameter pistons?
  4. joedirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr250
    The 2013 has a different cylinder head with different size valves. Might be some clearance issues.
  5. The Gazzman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC310R 2013 model
    Other Motorcycles:
    I suspect that is one of the many things that would need to be checked physically before proceeding. The 2013 OEM piston is dome shaped with valve indents. The 2012 Prox piston is flatter with valve indents. The prox piston, with a lower compression height in a 2013 head (1.3mm), would reduce the CR to about 10.5 to 1 if nothing else changed.
  6. joedirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr250
    Pro circuit has high compression piston for a 2013 310
  7. The Gazzman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC310R 2013 model
    Other Motorcycles:
    I would like to investigate the pro-circuit version but I cannot get any information on it to consider importing to Australia. The pro-circuit wholesaler has no interest in it. I understand that JE pistons actually produces it but no information from there either. Anybody use it or have basic specification information?