Two-Two Motorsports Closes Their Doors

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by ray_ray, Jun 24, 2015.

1. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Thanks for everything you and your team added to our sport Mr. CR22 ... You set the bar high enough that most can't even see it ...
    --

CR22 words via some media ..

Today we share the unfortunate news that our journey with TwoTwo Motorsports has ended. Five years ago, we built this race team from the ground up. With a team of the best guys in our industry, we created a successful winning team. I’ve always said, if your going to do something, do it right! We worked hard to compete at a level with the factory teams and to meet our goals of being championship contenders. On the outside we were great, but on the inside the stress and cost of wearing both the team owner and the rider hats were taking a toll. I’m not someone who gives up, so when the tough times came I worked harder to push through them.

2014 was a tough year for the team, financially and mentally. My injury almost cost us the team, but I couldn’t handle the thought of losing everything we had worked for. 2015 has been a crazy year of everything going wrong. We had flashes of brilliance, but titles aren’t won with flashes. My “Mr. Consistent” status was gone and I was back on the “has-been” list in my own head. At this point in my career, I needed to make a choice of which hat I was going to wear moving forward: a team owner or rider. I can’t be both.I’ve been living and working at an unsustainable rate and I’ve emotionally, physically, and financially exhausted myself. I’m stubborn and haven’t wanted to let go. I don’t like the thought of giving up on anything. It’s taken a year of swimming against the current to finally realize I needed to make changes quickly. I’m lucky to have the support of my wife and family who have helped me see that I was not only losing my love of racing, but also heading for a breakdown. My family and my health come first.

TwoTwo Motorsports was a dream team. I thought it was my future, but I now know it was just a chapter. I’m not ready to retire. I read a quote somewhere that said “Don’t give up on something you can’t go a day without thinking about.” I’m not giving up on the goals of winning – just changing the way I do it. To my wife, Ellie. Thank you for being my rock. You give me courage, love, and enthusiasm to do great things and continue to live my dreams. When everything feels like it’s falling apart, you are the glue that holds us together. Even though my kids are too young to completely understand, I’m thankful to have raised them under the TwoTwo awning during their early years. It was a family friendly atmosphere and it made me very happy to be able to share my passion with them. They keep me young and teach me lessons beyond their realization.

A huge thanks to my TwoTwo team. You all took a chance joining the team and together we made history. The hardest part about this team closing is letting you go. We’ve built friendships and memories that can last a lifetime. Thank you Josh Grant for joining us. Our time together got cut short. We are proud to have helped you achieve your best overall Supercross season. Though I cannot put a bike underneath him for the remaining Outdoors, I will continue to pay Josh and hope he can find a home to show off his talent soon. To all the companies who have helped support TwoTwo Motorsports. Thank you for what you all brought to the table. Collectively we share the success and achievements made during our 5 years.

I’m thankful and proud to say that even when I’m down, my sponsors want to stick with me. Their continued support is testament that I have truly surrounded myself with the best people and companies: Discount Tire, Monster Energy, Fox, Shift, 360fly, Oakley, Factory Effex, and Stance. I’m hoping that the fans of TwoTwo Motorsports will be supportive of my decision. I know I have the best fans around the world and I promise this isn’t the end for me. There is still a lot to figure out as we step forward into the unknown. The future is exciting and waiting to be written. Chad Reed – TwoTwo Motorsports

--

I'll just add CR22 told the japan companies to get off a few yrs back when he started this team ... Then after he had some winning times, they ~all came back to him ...just like a good little business person will do when the sniff of green is in the air. Next time someone does what CR22 did, let me know. Mikkola stayed in EU and did most of his racing there is another example of a person not bowing to $ 100%.

--

That 2014 crash he says that almost cost him the team was the KR94 incident on the last lap of a SX race... After the clip, he flew into the next jump after the whoops and did scapula, collarbone & T1 damage..

CR22_kr94Crash.jpg
    NCSteve and dave lindsey like this.
  2. dave lindsey Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XCW/2012 CRF230F
    Very sincere statement...I like CR!! Wonder who he'll ride with/for?
  3. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    My hat's off to him and whatever is next for him will work out on the positive side I'd guess ... His words there are good I think ... Sounds honest on what happened and he had to make a hard, adult, business decision ... No bridges were burnt and his support of his sponsors sounded very good also... No bike companies mentioned.

This part speaks volumes to me ... Not sure which of the words in bold below carry the most weight, but quickly means right-now.

At this point in my career, I needed to make a choice of which hat I was going to wear moving forward: a team owner or rider. I can’t be both.I’ve been living and working at an unsustainable rate and I’ve emotionally, physically, and financially exhausted myself. I’m stubborn and haven’t wanted to let go. I don’t like the thought of giving up on anything. It’s taken a year of swimming against the current to finally realize I needed to make changes quickly. I’m lucky to have the support of my wife and family who have helped me see that I was not only losing my love of racing, but also heading for a breakdown. My family and my health come first.
  4. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    wonder what it cost him financially when all is said & done(legit question just curious-sure he has some left still:D )? good on him for taking the plunge & doing it his way
    TemecuCoastie likes this.
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Tough road. Work your ass off and probably loosing money. Love of the sport stuff for sure. Wish him well.
    Kam1 likes this.
  6. MotoMarc36 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR144, 04 TC450, 04 TC250, CR50
    Other Motorcycles:
    Many. Too many.
    What a boss. He'll win another SX. While it cost him some money of course, he was a shrewd business man who lined up potent sponsors, and he rewarded them with major publicity. He certainly didn't drain his bank account, he's set.

Cheers to you, Chad. You did things your way, like you always have. Respect.
  7. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    Class Act. Tough as nails. Nice guy. Glad I was able to be a fan during his carrear.
    Kam1 and NCSteve like this.
  8. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    ray_ray likes this.
  9. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Well, you know what they say about how to make a small fortune in racing--start with a large one!
    Kam1, NCSteve and flyingbob like this.
  10. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    i heard he's back on blue for 2016
    Kam1 likes this.
  11. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    yup me too^
  12. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    There was another site saying he just had shoulder surgery also ...

Reed, who underwent shoulder surgery last week and will miss the remainder of the 2015 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship, said he will not retire and plans to continue racing.

--

I'm sure CR22 will make all this work, but speaking as a old guy, ESP with something as physical demanding as dirt bike racing, re-living the past is not so easy, almost impossible in many cases. He's probably got a much better than average chance of making $ being a rider again since he is such a talented guy, but I'd guess that ~MIL$ show money stuff is history. He needs to ride injury free in some manner. Period.
  13. JPinNC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 KTM 300 XC-W
    I thought two-two motorsports did a good job marketing the brand - cool logo and the riding gear, bikes/graphics were great IMO; surprised in a way to see this happen, wrong timing, not a great year for CR for sure; but seems like it had the potential to be a great brand, I like CR but he is polarizing ...
    shawbagga likes this.
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Disagree, he is a high visibility guy in the sport and brings sponsors and supporters easily. He has lots of ways to make big money in the sport still. Smart, hard working, talented, popular. He will do just fine.
    TemecuCoastie and Kam1 like this.