Tuareg Rally

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Ruffus, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Anyone else following the Tuareg Rally??
    Looks like there's 4 Husky's in it, at least one 610 & I think, though I may be mistaken, EXCKiller (Volker Dürnert) is in it. Not sure if the name is right.
    It's kinda hard to follow, but looks like the standings as of day 5 are
    # 313-36 position (Husky enduro?)Amateur class
    #327-59 position (TE530)Pro Class
    #111-118 position (TE610)Pro Class
    #32-131 position (EXCKiller-TE510)Pro Class

http://www.tuareg-rallye.com/index.htm

Standings
    http://www.tuareg-rallye.de/index.htm

pictures
    http://www.enduro.nl/2009tuareg/2009tuaregindex.htm
    click on fotos on the right hand side
  2. lairpost Husqvarna
    A Class

Cool images. I don't see any US starters, but quite a few North Americans...Canadians. I looked up Pays-Bas, I've never heard the name before, seems very popular with these folks.

Thanks for the link...

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pays-Bas
  3. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

4 Huskys in the Tuareg.

As far as i know there have only been 6 Huskys in all the worlds major rallys over the last 10 years.....

Yeah, we are part of the big 6. :)

Great pics of the Husky on that second link, with close ups of the very cool cockpit and Husky van....wish i lived in Italy....
  4. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

2 friends of mine are there right now on 08 Husaberg FE550s.
  5. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

I hate them.
  6. JimO Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 TE 450, '08 TE 510, '10 TXC 450
    Mike,
    What are we thinkin? We gotta get our butts over there and race this stuff. We take the 510 apart put it in bags, load the plane with all of our parts. Get there, rent a van and we have a race team. Support truck 2 racers and our Husky.

Okay next year...
    PS. I recognize a Belgian rider on the BMW from when I was over the pond.
  7. JimO Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Pays-Bas a French colony in the Netherlands. Rally racers for sure. And Allemagnians too. (French way of saying Germany:excuseme:)
  8. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

JimO,

Dakar Rally registration starts in 5 weeks. I'm in if you are. :thumbsup:Hey Blake, you in? We fly George over to wrench.
    Hit up CHers for $30 each? That will be $30k by race day....:thumbsup:
  9. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda

Yay!! :applause:

DakarDakarDakar!!!

Can I drive the truck?

RallyChickInMyDreams
  10. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ummm wouldn't $30G's get one rider about half way there???? LOL
  11. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Well, if guys want to pitch in $40, thats ok too....:)
  12. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Anyone who wants to do the Dakar needs to send an email in the next week or two to:

concurrents@dakar.com

request an entry booklet. Its free, and comes with a cool DVD, sadly its on a euro format that wont play on our machines...but still its full of lots of info. If you've ever considered it, or thought, 'someday i wanna race the dakar' -- well then this is how that incredible adventure begins.

As Scott Harden put it, 'aim big'

Just throwin it out there. I wanna go back. Maybe there are others who want to go?

Plan on a minimum of $20k plus your bike. Its TOTALLY worth it. :cheers:
  13. JimO Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Mike K.
    I sent off for the entry to Dakar. I'll let you know when I get it. My father-in-law flies transport and cargo planes down in Venezuela and Argentina. That could also be good means of transport...He would love to help...
    Jim
  14. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Nice. :thumbsup:

I did the same. Oh geez.

Free air transport. That saves $8k for two bikes round trip.

My wife is from Argentina. So we can stay at her Aunts place while getting set up. They can get us hooked up with an affordable pick up truck for chase. My wifes nephew is the biggest rally fan in Argentina. He can hook us up with all the locals.

We gotta get some cheap tickets for Woodschick, her husband, and George. Right now its about $1k roundtrip from LAX. Maybe fly them out of TJ?

Im taking my 610. You wanna take a 610 or 510? You are welcome to take my '07 dakar rallye bike, its a 510. Just freshen it up. That alone will save you $20k. But the 610 is a great bike for rally. Maybe we can hit up Husky for help on '09 bikes? They helped me out last time. :)

Lets see. :thinking: Get visas, renew race license, find out if MotoZ tires are legal, buy some spare parts, drink less beer for the next few months, I guess thats about it. :lol:

The hardest part in my last 2 trys at Dakar was choosing the team name. Any ideas?
  15. JimO Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Oh geez is right...
    How about Team Cafe Rally.

The 510 Rally bike sounds like it might be closer to rally ready than mine. We can part my 510 out and use it for parts. Usually I use 3 gear bags and throw it on the plane. It worked in Europe when I took my RM 250. I think I paid an extra $60 per bag for over weight fee...no big whoop.

My wife is also from SA (Venezuela) I think their fluent spanish would help out our white butts when we are arguing with race officials. She's a nurse too, that might help us out more.

When is the race date? Entry fee? and when do they want it? Yea Mike, we should ride our asses off to get ready for this one. I can guess the racing day in and day out in different conditions can tax you, everyday a new race right?

Ha, what am i thinking? Just getting there to race sounds like a victory in itself. Logistics and willpower thats all. (Ha).

Well I'm ready lets get together and do some rally talk. Cya Jim.
  16. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

:cheers:

race is early january. its a 3 week event, a different race each day, with changing conditions, and a moving 'bivouac' each night--the scene in the bivouacs is out of this world. plan on flying down around dec. 26, coming home jan 25th, or earlier...:)

entry fee is around $15k. Depends on how the $ to the euro is going. lately its been getting cheaper to do the race. :eek:

they take installments. usually around $4-5K in late May/early june. then another payment late summer. then the rest in the fall.

the actual racing/riding stuff is the easy part. all the prep and logistics and crap is mindblowing, at least it is on the first go around.

the race fills up real quick. but they want more americans, so its not all that hard to get in, as long as ya play the game and do things on time.
    (send application on May 15, make payments by the deadlines, etc)

for french guys or other euros its not so easy to get accepted. some guys literally send wine and gifts to the secretary in charge a year ahead of time...

the best practice is to go without sleep, and get used to functioning.

i have a 2 year old, so i am very good at it now. :thumbsup: