Troubles With My Terra

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Porkroll, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Porkroll Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Silverwing
    Hello,
    I was hoping someone could help me out with a problem I'm having with my newly purchased bike. I've read through a bunch of threads on this and performed some diagnostics myself, but am still having troubles.
    To start with, on a recent trip, as I was going to get on the highway my engine light came on and the RPM needle was acting very erratic. All this while the bike seemed to be running fine. I turned the bike off and let it sit for a bit before continuing on my way. The same thing started happening about 10 miles down the road after I exited the highway. This time I let it run for a minute and then the EWS error showed up and my bike shut down. I disconnected the battery and let it sit for a bit. I reconnected the battery and it started back up without the error. As I was getting back on to ride away, the error came back and the bike shut down. I repeated the process with the battery, but this time when I started it back up I quickly hopped on and rode away. Everything seemed to be fine when I was at higher speeds, but when I would slow down, I would get the RPM needle jumping around and check engine light to come on. I made it home and did some reading on all of the husky forums.
    I ended up getting a new battery, running a ground strap for the ECU to the battery and checked all of the connections under the headlight cowl. The connections all seemed to be fine and the fragile wires to the antenna all seemed intact.
    I took my bike for a ride and everything seemed good for a bit until I had the engine light come back on and RPM needle go nuts. So, I ended up getting all of the needed accessories to run the motoscan app. I came up with a CAN-bus fault CD85 error. I did a search for the error, but can not find out what it is. Can anyone help me with my problem.
    Thanks, Mike
  2. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint 1050, Daytona 955i
    Without knowing the meaning of that code, your symptoms sounds a little like a dirty/malfunctioning IACV. I've had this happen to me on a couple of occasions. A good clean of the unit dealt with the problem.
    Unfortunately getting at it is a bit of a pain...
  3. Porkroll Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Silverwing
    Thanks for the reply. I'll look into that. I'm the meantime, I did a search on the BMW fault code lookup and this came up...

Attached Files:

4. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    First a word of caution. Be careful with tools on the bike with the seat off. A metal object from the battery to computer will fry it. It has happened to quite a few bikes already.

You have an electrical problem, which could be a short, a bad ground, bad connection or bad alternator. Start with the easy cheap and move on. Check all connections, while checking, pay attention to chaffing and areas where the harness moves or rubs.

If all checks good, you will most likely need to hook up to a GS911 or take it in to the dealer to do realtime checking.

Wayne C may come along and have better insights. You can browse here http://faq.f650.com/main.html for more info.
  5. Porkroll Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Silverwing
    Thanks for the reply. Noted on the battery to computer frying. I'll be eyeing up all connections and grounds tomorrow. Will the GS911 show me different error codes than the motoscan app?