Tripled my compression upon assebly?

Discussion in '610/630' started by SuperMads, Jun 12, 2012.

1. SuperMads Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1996 TE 610, streetlegal motard
    Hey Forum, (I'm Danish so might not have the best grammar)
    I just took my newly purchased TE610 95' apart to locate a very strange noise coming from a unknown source inside the engine. My theory (as read online) was the camshaft or cam chain tensioner was the source. I took the top piece off and found out that the previous owner didn't have had the camwheel bolted on tight enough (it was actually loose). Happy that I have found the error that probably was the source of the noise, I put the bike back together, and that was when I found a new problem. I was unable to use the kickstarter because the compression was at least twice as hard as before, I was like kickstarting a two-stroke. I quickly gave up because it was to hard and I never got the bike running. My question now is; what have I done wrong? I haven't touched the timing and never disassembled the camchain or anything? I have had the top piece off, and tightened the bolts on the camwheel. Put it back together and now the damn thing is to hard to kickstart, and its pure compression, because I can put pressure on the kickstarter and make it come over the TDC, as I would do on a two stroke.

I haven't touched the timing but I didn't pay any attention to where the the timing was when I put the top piece back on? Is that the problem?

I really am lost on this one guys, I appreciate all the help I can get. [IMG]

This was the only piece I had off and tightened the bolts on the camwheel
    [IMG]

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...121531091.jpg/
  2. KXcam22 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SM630, 2017 300XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    08FZR6;07CRF450;98CBR900RR;02KTM200
    Not sure exacly but it sounds like there is an auto-decompression that is not working. Cam.
  3. darkstarmoto Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    07 Ducati MTS1100S
    EDIT: Sorry, response was not correct.
  4. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Take out the spark plug and see if it turns over easy...If not...back off and reinstall the cam chain tensioner.

The cam chain may be super tight now that you tightened the sprocket.
  5. darkstarmoto Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    07 Ducati MTS1100S
    May also want to check the water pump impeller. Some people have noted when reinstalling it, the impeller actually was making contact with the cover causing damage.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Your cam timing is off. Check book and do it like it says. I bet it is a tooth or more off.
  7. edward Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te610
    how do you set the timing i feel as if my timing might be out as well
  8. SimpleOne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    09 ZX-6R Trackbike
    Timing is as per the workshop manual, it might be similar to my 630, but I'll let someone with a 610 chime in on that. However, you basically just have to align certain markings on the cam sprockets (both intake and exhaust) with certain locations (or other markings) on the cylinder head. This is done with the piston at a certain position in the sleeve, which is normally with the piston at Top Dead Centre (TDC).
  9. Blazes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Eddie Seel 634SMR works Replica -
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilla Dosodoro 2X 2009 610
    Sounds like cam timing and the piston is pushing up against the valves