triple tree pinch bolts -- how much thread?

Discussion in '610/630' started by Yossarian, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Yossarian Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Multistrada 1200 Enduro; Tiger 800XC
    I'm wanting to mount a set of Cycra handguards on the triple tree, and the billet mounts are 12 mm thick. The stock 610 flange bolts won't cut it, but I have some that are 45 mm in length that would give about a half-through bite into the far side of the triple tree. 50 mm length would be perfect but the hardware store was out of them.

Will I be okay if I use the 45 mm bolts, or do I really need the extra 5 mm of "bite" in the thread of the longer bolts?
  2. GoFaster Husqvarna
    AA Class

Don't want to be a negative Ned, but most riders fear that a hand guard mounted to the single bolt could jeopardize the mount during a real hard crash. Any way - more bite the better 50mm.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The fear is real the condition is not. Ran those for YEARS through some spectacular crashes where i bent them (a good thing) and the triple was fine. Very solid mounting option. If you crash hard enough to hurt the triple clamp I bet you got a lot of other stuff to replace as well when you return from the hospital. ;) As for the bolt your probably fine but I would swap them out ASAP for the right ones.
  4. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    The rule of thumb that I've been told for thread engagement is at least the diameter of the bolt for steel and 1 1/2 the diameter for aluminum. On a 8mm bolt you should have at least 12mm of thread engagement. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
  5. Yossarian Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Multistrada 1200 Enduro; Tiger 800XC
    Well, just because I like to have it done right and not have to worry about it, I went to the local industrial fastener store at lunch and picked up bolts in the proper length.

Thanks to all who responded.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    perfect.