1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

trans problems

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by disonny, Jun 9, 2015.

1. disonny Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 360 wr/rt, 75 wr250 78 cr250,
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 wr250, 84 wr400
    Hey All,
    I rode the CC at Unadilla this past weekend and on the 5th lap I couldn't down shift from third gear. I rode a lap in third and fourth and it would down shift to third but no further. Towards the end of the lap I was stuck in fourth gear. The shifter springs back to center if shifting up, but down shifting it doesn't spring back to center. It lays all the way down with no spring to it. It's on my 82 430wr. any idea's before I dig into it? I've never had this one apart and i'm not sure what I will find.

Thanks
  2. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    It's either the small spring or the u shaped shifting plate. The small spring keeps the small u shaped plate engaged in the shifter drum. Sounds like it's just engaging on one side of the drum.
    justintendo likes this.
  3. silverstreakNZ Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82cr500,76gp360,90wr250,81 420AXC
    Other Motorcycles:
    74 tm400 , 02 gasgas ec 300
    you will be pleasantly suprised how easy it is to work on . pull the clutch cover off . u dont even have to remove the kickstart and gear shift . they come ovv with the cover
  4. PEZBerq Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    390AMX, 430XC, 240WR, 2x510TE, FE501
    I have an 82 430XC that won't shift up from 3rd gear. Can only get first 3 gears. Had it apart several times and can't see the problem. Engine has been on my bench for almost 12 months! Time to sort it out. Any ideas? Thanks.
  5. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    what bill said happened to me last year, my small double hook spring broke. upshifted fine but was hard to down shift. i knew it as soon as it happened. i was shaking my head, couldnt believe it.
  6. disonny Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 wr250, 84 wr400
    I've had the clutch cover off, but this in the cases, correct? So if it is a broken spring, are they still available? Or do I have to find something that will work at a local hardware store?
  7. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Pezberg,

Check the rotating shifter drum to make sure all the pins are in place for the hooks to grab. Next check the large butterfly spring. This must locate in the center of the pin on the clutch cover.

I had purchased used husqvarna bikes that had shifting problems.
  8. adam6402 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Remove the clutch basket and take a picture, that helps us help you. As Bill mentioned above, pins in the shifter drum could be an issue as well. Unless you have metal on the drain plug to indicate otherwise, I doubt your problem is in the gear box.
  9. 84scrambler Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 xc 250, 85 wrx 250, 79 wr 250
    Ive found, that the arm that goes on top of the drum may look like its in the right spot but its really tuff to get it in the correct place and make it stay there.
  10. disonny Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 wr250, 84 wr400
    Ok, I will try to pull it apart tonight and take a pic.
  11. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Parts on eBay.
  12. 84scrambler Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 xc 250, 85 wrx 250, 79 wr 250
    Try and shift thru the gears and watch carefully you'll have to hold the ratcheting arm down with your thumb and try to keep it all in order as you go is the trick.
  13. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Any news yet??
  14. disonny Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 wr250, 84 wr400
    No news bill. Dam house work got in the way last night. Lawn mowing and crap like that.
  15. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    It sounds like the linkage & springs behind the clutch basket. I have had to replace the dowel pins in the end of the shift drum as well. If that doesn't do it then it's time to split the cases. I had a snap ring on a trans shaft fail (It looked like it wasn't seated completely from the factory) it popped up out of the groove in the shaft.
  16. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Don't forget there's two sides to a snap ring. One has a square edge and the other edge is rounded. It only gets installed one way. The square edge stops the forces from pushing it off.
    DaveM and oldbikedude like this.
  17. disonny Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 wr250, 84 wr400
    IMG_0783.JPG Here is a pic of the linkage. To my untrained eye it looks like the rear spring isn't on right. I can't figure how this could cause my problem but I will put it on right and see what happens. Thanks for all the help.
    justintendo likes this.
  18. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    The rear spring crosses over the knob then the pin on the clutch cover goes in the slot on the cross of the spring. The two ends of the spring over lap making a loop.

You need to pull the rear part of the spring forward to it catches on the front of the knob. The rear spring will stay on the knob where it is. This spring pulls the shifter back to its center position.

The rear part of the spring is the one that's hidden. It comes forward to the front part of the knob.
  19. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I paid $150 for a '86 husqvarna 400 wrx that had this same spring problem. The bike was like new.
  20. disonny Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 wr250, 84 wr400
    Ok, that makes sense now Bill. Thanks for the help. Good score on the 400. Don't ya love those deals!