1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Trail Tech Vapour Tacho for TE449 2013

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by MaDProFF, May 16, 2013.

1. MaDProFF Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    STR
    I have got a TE449 2013 and trying to put the Vapour on the bike, any one have any ideas the best way to connect/wire up the tacho/rev counter, I assume you are suppose to try and get the wire into the plug that connects to the top of the spark plug, There are 3 wires so not sure what is the best one to try and connect to, but would prefer not to mess with plug, and try and connect it somewhere else.

anyone found a simple solution for this ?

Thanks
  2. 511BRAAP Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    He who dies with the most toys wins
    Not sure if the Voyager and the Vapor are the same install, but my Voyager was kind of a hassle (is still is when I change the plug) to install. The Voyager tach lead (or ignition sensor wire) has to be wrapped around the ignition coil 2 or 3 times and held in place by the rubber gasket and the cap while you slide the coil back down over the spark plug. Initially I had mine wrapped too many times (like 6 or so...) and it was interfering with itself, reading all over the place. Also make sure you have a good, clean ground contact. Trail Tech is pretty helpful if you can call them. I believe they are PST though, out here on the US west coast.

That thing was frustrating to install, but really its really nice to have tach and temp, and whatever other mapping gps doo dads it has! Good luck!
  3. 511BRAAP Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Also, I would keep the original unit where it is and mount the Trail Tech screen higher, so you can see it better. This way you have your original odometer and can see the fuel light (useful when its dark). Trail Tech Voyager 1.JPG Trail Tech Voyager 2.JPG
  4. MaDProFF Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    STR
    Thanks, was hoping it could be connected somewhere else as it is a lean connection, and not need to wrap it around spark plug cover.

Am I right in thinking the coil is all built in to the top of spark plug hence why no HT lead, but a Plug top of the spark plug cover?

I have left the old unit in place thanks
  5. 511BRAAP Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    The coil is connected to the black cap that you can see bolted down to the top of the valve cover. You have to remove the air filter, unclip the ignition plug from the coil, raise the coil up off the spark plug so you can wrap the ignition sensor lead around the outside of the coil.

It could be that Trail Tech came out with a different way of picking up the spark from the coil on their newer products... but on my unit, which I bought last fall for my 2011 te511, you have to wrap the pink/red ignition sensor lead around the coil about 3 times. Did you get any instructions with it?
    Motosportz likes this.
  6. MaDProFF Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    STR
    yes I did get instructions, there are 4 different ways, one way being putting wire into the plug / connector. but not sure I can get it apart, so was wondering if there was somewhere else where those wires were terminated
  7. 511BRAAP Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    hmm... I remember there being two options for two different ignition coil designs. One for the 449/511, where you have to pull the hard coil module and wrap the ignition sensor wire. And another option for other bikes where you would wrap the sensor wire around the (floppy) spark plug wire.

I would recommend calling Trail Tech directly to get it sorted out. Its a great add on, good luck!
  8. MaDProFF Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    STR
    I want to cut into one of the wires on the plug and make a direct connection, but there are 3 wires, and I know one is ground, but not sure what other one to use. I have not read many good reports of getting it to work well, and not keen to remove everything to try and get it wrapped around the plug.
    Got to say I love the unit, works well, just not so keen over the real then wires it uses for the tacho, and power, I cut power leads and run some better wire in sleeving.
  9. 511BRAAP Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    I found the instructions for the Vapor and your right, there are more install options. For some reason the Voyager didn't come with the same install instructions... This connection looks much better, so I took a look at the wiring diagram in the shop manual to see if I can't help you out.

Brown is obviously the ground wire. It looks like Black/Red is regulated power from the battery and controlled the ECU. Green/Blue I think is the rpm/spark that 'speaks' with all the rest of the sensors. -I wonder what they are talking about when my bike flames out for no reason!

I am no professional, but it looks like you want to connect the Vapor rpm sensor to the Green/Blue. Next time I pull the spark plug, I'll try connecting this way. Let me know how it works out!
  10. MaDProFF Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    STR
    Hmm damm, I was thinking it was the R/bk to cut into? the Red Black wire looks that goes to the ECU on the wiring diagram I am looking at. The Blue/ Green goes to the O2 sensor heater (what ever that does).

Thoughts everyone?
  11. Radar Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE449
    My wiring diagram indicates pin 3 red/blk wire.
  12. MaDProFF Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    STR
    where does it go though, and is that the wire I need to cut into?
  13. Radar Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE449

I can not tell you what to cut into. I have not installed one myself. All I am saying is the ignition signal to the coil is on pin 3 and that is the red/black wire from the ECU.

You need to understand the wiring diagram for your bike and the install instructions for the Trail Tech.

You should be careful. When you add anything to the wiring at the spark plug connector you could set up a situation where you have vibration and resultant metal fatigue in the wires.
    511BRAAP likes this.
  14. MaDProFF Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    STR
    Thanks Radar, I was thinking of cutting the wire before the plug, and putting in a connector with the tacho lead down from the head unit, and then using the same ground from the plug onto the engine. The only problem not a lot of room as the leads are quite short to the plug. The connecter will be a good poss solder the wires.
  15. 511BRAAP Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Looking back at the wiring diagram, red/black makes more sense than my earlier interpretation. I should have noted that when it comes to wiring diagrams, my input comes from one tier below amateur! Thanks Radar for correcting my creative input!

I would think for the connection, the way that Trail Tech suggests, pulling back the rubber housing on the connector and wrapping the wires together, then back in the connector housing would be the best way to go. I think soldering the wires would create weak spots around the rigid solder point. -My 2 cents for the morning.
  16. Evan Griffith Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE449
    How did you end up connecting the vapor tach? I tried connecting to the red/black wire at the coil and the tack works, but doesn't indicate correctly at higher RPMs.
  17. Olive xm Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 449
    Yeah I did the same thing and had same result. Emailed TT and they told me to change a few things but nothing helped, so I think I have to wrap it around the coil to work.
  18. Evan Griffith Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE449
    Well, tried the wrapping coil option and couldn't get any RPM readings on the tach. I sent Trail Tech an email. I'll post when they say to do.
  19. Olive xm Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 449
    Thanks keep us updated.
  20. Evan Griffith Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE449
    Olive xm - Below is what Trail Tech said to do. Did Trail Tech tell you to adjust the PPR to 0.5? What were your results?

"It sounds like the first option you used was working, but the PPR needed to be adjusted. I would reinstall it and adjust the PPR to 0.5. If you use the wrap method make sure you wrap it up high like shown in the photo below, ten wraps is too many. The other thing you want to check is how the tach wire is grounded. It should be grounded directly to the frame, by itself, away from the coil."