Tr650 With Potential Ecu Problem

Discussion in 'TR650' started by badaboum, Aug 31, 2020.

1. badaboum Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    not yet / looking for a TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    GTR1400
    Hi guys

New to the forum, i am a Japanense bike rider but was looking to buy a TR650 Terra for occasional country ride

I found one that is in quite nice shape, but the bike as 2 issues (I assume linked)

1) The speedometer / odometer are not working
    2) the ABS is not working

From my japanese background I assumed it was a sensor issue but the seller is telling me that the shop he is taking the bike says all the sensors are fine, that the ECU is the issue

Is it a ''normal'' issue on the bike? I it an ECU issue? Easy to fix?

Thanks

Here is a link to the bike

https://www.leboncoin.fr/motos/1809866695.htm
  2. mysery1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
    There is a tone wheel and sensor on the rear wheel that is used for the speedometer/odometer. The sensor is connected to the dash unit. If the bike is fitted with ABS there is a tone wheel and sensor on the front wheel with sensor connected to the ABS module. If I remember the gap between sensor(s) and tone ring(s) is about .040". Yes it could be an ECU issue and no it is not an easy fix.
    PaulC likes this.
  3. mysery1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
    I made an error in my post above. If the bike has ABS then both the front and rear tone wheel sensors are connected to the ABS unit (assembly). I would check fuse F7. You can check out the ecu-issues-ground-strap.86512/#post-620830 for a link to a wiring the diagram for the ABS version of the bike. From the description of the problems I think the problem lies with the ABS unit or connection to it. Sorry for any confusion.
  4. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Terra= most likely not an ABS model ex factory.
    got the tone ring, but no actual ABS pump or plumbing

Check the front brake line...if that routes straight down the front leg from the master/cyl it's NOT an ABS model.
  5. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    i think all Terra (and Strada) in the EU are ABS models and the one in the ad certainly is.
    mag00 likes this.
  6. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    I would say check the rear abs ring sensor or tone ring for clearance and wear (chafing). The rear sensor feeds the speedo and abs, the front only the abs. Check the plugs and length of the wires from the sensor for issues. It does not sound like an expensive issue, as I doubt it is the ecu. If it is the ecu, walk away, or run away.