Tr650 Terra - Instrument Cluster Computer Is Shorted. What Are My Options?

Discussion in 'TR650' started by TacoMcNacho, Apr 22, 2019.

1. TacoMcNacho Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TW200
    This happened about 2 years ago. Having no experience with electrical repairs and having neither the patience, money, nor time to deal with it, I threw up my hands and put the bike in storage. I've been riding my Yamaha TW200 ever since. Well, I've decided to finally settle this one way or another, but I don't really know where to start.

Here's the situation:
    • A crack in the seal of my instrument cluster allowed a small amount of water to seep into the internals. When I noticed the condensation, I immediately took it apart and dried everything as best I could, then sealed it back with silicon.
    • Shortly after, my hazards started coming on and off randomly. More and more symptoms started popping up in the days following and it wasn't long before all of my gauges (speedometer, odo, tac, trip, fuel, etc.) ceased to work entirely. Even my hazards would no longer come on.
    • After about a week, when I attempted to turn my bike on it gave me a security error (I do not remember the exact code), telling me it did not recognize the key chip. I have not been able to turn the bike on since.
    • I've given the instrument cluster to a mechanic / computer technician friend of mine who is going to do his best to clean up the internals, but I'm not very hopeful.
    Let's say that the dash has irreparable damage, which I believe is the case. How much money would I need to throw at this bike in order to replace the cluster and reprogram everything? Or is that even an option? I haven't been able to even find a replacement available on any OEM part store. Thoughts?
  2. TacoMcNacho Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TW200
    I'm misremembering about the EWS error being tied to the instrument cluster. I determined that the battery was failing to hold a charge, and that was the cause. I'll be getting a new battery for it to see if that helps my other problems as well but I'd like to err on the side of caution and assume that the instrument cluster has permanent water damage for now and explore my options with that in mind.
  3. mysery1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
    Posted below is a description of an issue I had awhile back. I don't know what a new dash would cost but your KTM/Husky should be able to help. They may have to send your ECU and ignition off to be synced to the new dash for the lack of a better term.

The continuing saga of my Strada. I took my bike in on May 22nd for the recall and finally got it back on the 18th of June. I’m the guy that had the EWS error that installed the ground strap to the ECU to get it to run. My understanding is that when they tried to flash the ECU it wouldn’t communicate. I was given the option of putting the original ECU back in or installing a new one which also means the dash and ignition needed to be changed out. I opted to replace the ECU, dash and ignition. So now I’ll have to carry two keys, one for the ignition and one to remove the seat and gas cap. I’ll have to look and see if I can get the gas cap rekeyed for the new key. Also found my headlight loose from when it was put back together, 2 screws were left out. Replaced the screws and rode the bike but I had no odometer/speedometer function which I was told about before I picked it up so I just used a GPS app on my phone. I received a call from the people who worked on it before and was asked to drop the bike off again. So on October 23 I did. On December 21st I got a call saying the bike was ready but because of life I didn’t get to pick it up till January 15th. It now has the new ECU with the original dash and ignition. I rode it around the parking lot and it seemed fine so I loaded it up on the truck and brought it home. I went to ride it yesterday but wasn’t happy with the way it was running so I put back in the garage. So today I pulled it out and was letting it idle when it died. I found the positive battery cable loose at the battery and the main fuse blown. Apparently they had a problem because the spare fuse was missing and instead of a 30 amp that should have been in there it was a 10 amp. I put a 30 amp in and started the bike and let it idle thru 2 fan cycles. Went for a short ride and everything was good. Hoping to put a couple hundred miles this weekend. We will see how that goes. I thought about having them change the oil before I picked it up but I’m so glad I didn’t.
    TacoMcNacho likes this.
  4. apobateman Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XL700V Transalp 2008
    Hi - did you ever manage to fix your dash. Mine shorted / stopped working about a year ago and I tried to troubleshoot with the help of members of this forum but ultimately never fixed it. I’m thinking about just taking it into the workshop but am not sure if the potential cost of replacing a dash and /or ecu plus any recoding is going to be worth it, given the current value of my bike.
  5. Hanukkah Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Royal Enfield Himalayan, BMW GS1250
    We provide cluster replacements and ECU update for the Nuda and TR650s, if anyone needs this service just let me know.
  6. MookieWilson Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    sxv,cb
    Could you please provide pictures, prices, and more info? Obviously shipping prices will vary around the world.
  7. Adsun Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Only one bike at a time for me.
    I've also got trouble with my instrument cluster and would be interested in pricing. My got water in it yesterday and is only now playing up.
  8. Hanukkah Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Does your bike still start?
  9. Jughead Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    '78 R80/7, ' 80 SR500, '81 R80/GS
    Morning,
    Are you still offering cluster replacements for the TR650?
  10. Hanukkah Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:

Maybe in a few weeks I can start offering replacement instrument panel boards.
    PaulC likes this.
  11. 77Arnold Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ossa 350 MAR Trial
    Hi.

My dash died..does anyone find a manner of make the bike tu run. New\repaired dash... adapting generic dash... whT to do!! I want go ride... is a funny bike!!!
  12. Hanukkah Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles: