Tr650 Strada, The Big Question, "what Type A Bike Is It?"

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Rocket_, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Rocket_ Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr650 Strada
    Had a lot of discussions with people about what type of bike my Strada is, some of my friends make fun of it saying its not meant for the dirt at all. That it even looks like a street bike and even going as far as to saying its not even tall. So my question is, what type of bike is it? Also am I wrong for taking it to some light dirt roads?
  2. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    So many bike brands have "cross over" models that are sort of "dirtish", but are really more at home on the street....and some are more dirt capable than others. I don't think it really matters. I take my 675 MV Agusta Brutale out on light dirt roads from time to time, and that isn't dirtish at all.:rolleyes:
  3. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    I like to call mine a dual purpose bike. This is the same classification that husky used for the TR when it was new. No matter what, use it however you are comfortable. If you need to justify its dirt worthiness, look at the travel and clearance specs (7” and 9” respectively, if I remember).
  4. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Definitely a street bike. Notice the mirrors and headlight?
    redington-fire-2.jpg
    jimmyc and Rocket_ like this.
  5. Ziggy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    The Terra in my book is a trail bike. Maybe the modern term for that is dual sport. The styling is motard.

AFAIK the only differences in the Strada are a lower front guard and 17" and 19" wheels*. In other words it's very similar and I have little doubt that with dirt tyres on it, it would be almost as capable. So: good clearance, remarkably capable suspension for a mass manufactured bike**, decent grunt, and it's reasonably comfortable standing up on it. Drop a front cog tooth or two for better trials riding performance.

* some of course came with ABS
    ** for a 75 kg rider with modest luggage

BTW I have both.
  6. isldtime Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 STRADA
    Other Motorcycles:
    2002 Ural Tourist
    In my book, the Strada is a light weight road bike. It's brother (Terra) is a light weight adventure bike. The Strada isn't a supermoto and Terra isn't a dual sport. But they both do very well for their design.
  7. Ziggy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    The Terra's perfectly at home on formed dirt roads, rough and smooth, and it will go quite a way on single track in the right hands.

AFAIC 'adventure bike' is just a marketing pitch. It covers quarter tonne lard arses that have to have traction aids to be useful in the dirt down to small singles that are can be put to trials-style riding.
  8. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Don't care... I just ride it where I want/ when I want and don't listen to any dipshits telling me otherwise.
    jimmyc and FabOneUp like this.
  9. Next Strada Demolitionist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    I have a Strada with Terra wheels on it because I really wanted to have ABS. I also put TKC80s on the cast Strada wheels and rode the heck out of it. For the price, this is a great smaller ADV/Dual sport. I've ridden mine all over dirt, gravel, muddy messes, crossed tons of water and creeks, and it's still plugging away. It's a great all rounder that is (and has been since new) difficult to beat for the price.
    PaulC likes this.
  10. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint 1050, Daytona 955i
    It is what it is.
    Johnn likes this.
  11. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    I've had a few Huskys...the last great one was a TE510. One of the best heavy dirt bikes I've owned. (Heavy as in a big Thumper)
    Sure it wasn't nimble like my 300xc Gasser. But the power was phenomenal. It was a great dirt bike that was licensed for the road.
    Sadly it was stolen from my house.
    I bought the TR650 for more of a dual sport...I'd like to say a street bike that will do dirt...but IMHO...best you're gonna get is some fire roads.
    It weighs a lot, seems to have a high center of gravity. The tranny is kinda clunky. You don't dare shift without a clutch which is cable not hydraulic.
    (510 was very smooth could shift up or down all day without the clutch)
    The TR Strada/Terra will run all day...from coast to coast...just maybe stay on pavement or secondary roads.
    Now before you all jump at my post...I am trying to be honest. I still love my TR...and now that I have excepted it's a road bike good for all day adventures...
    just not good in the deep back country.
    :cheers:
  12. Mal Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2017 Yamaha MT09
    In standard setup it's a modern day scrambler. Good for getting around any kind of dirt road and slower off-road riding, great for commuting and winding back roads. With some suitable upgrades can be a competent adventure bike (in the true sense, not the marketing sense). It would not be cheap and there are lots of things to upgrade, but is worth the trouble in my opinion.
  13. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    My Terra is capable of significantly more duty than the 2 previous posts suggest.
    Sure, it's no enduro but I've taken it to some pretty lofty heights when I've had to and it shines in its versatility.
    I'm too old to be racing through the bush at break neck speed and where I go you don't want to break down or crash.
    I'd ride it across the globe if I had the chance. What a great idea?
    duibhceK and P-A Calmhede like this.
  14. duibhceK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    TRX850; WR450F; XT660Z Tenere

Just do it. It's easier than you think! ;)
    And the TR is an excellent world travelling bike. I'm taking it to the Caucasus again next year.
    IronRod and nev.. like this.
  15. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    You're inspirational mate
    duibhceK and nev.. like this.