TR650 post ECU recall spark plugs recommendation

Discussion in 'TR650' started by prdeb, May 9, 2018.

1. prdeb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    HD Road King, BMW F800GS Adv
    My TR650's are running so well after the recall, they are defintely not running as lean as it used to be which I think caused the stalling. Any recommendations on spark plugs other than the stock NGK MAR9A-J. DO you think a colder plug like the MAR10A-J would be better?
  2. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Stock is just fine.
    PaulC and prdeb like this.
  3. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    Pull them out and lets have a look at them. I found the stock ones a little cold, but that was when I first got into this stalling issue, but had done 10,000km.
    prdeb likes this.
  4. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115
    Brisk AOR10LGS are the best I have found.
  5. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    I'm interested to hear....best in what respect?
  6. kyle01 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Beta 430, Honda CR 144, XS650
    Seems impossible, but after installing a pair of pulstars I wouldn’t even consider having my ECU messed with. Approx 7k miles on this set with no other mods than an iat spoofer (eruption). Bike went from something I didn’t trust enough to allow anyone else to ride to a dead reliable (and predictable) thumper I actually enjoy (I’ve stopped cursing it’s existence). Best thing I ever did to this bike (KYB swap a close second) ... can’t for the life of me explain why they work but they do!
    kiwiape and LED like this.
  7. spiderman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    07 KLR650 07 Bandit1250 85 Rokon
    The Pulstars didn't do anything for me. The ECU upgrade was the answer.
    glitch_oz and PaulC like this.
  8. kyle01 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Beta 430, Honda CR 144, XS650
    I guess I just got lucky. Who knows. I’ve learned not to question things with this bike!
  9. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    maybe new NGKs would have made the same difference? Or were they still new when you replaced them?
  10. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    i didn't experience any difference with the Pulstars either. Not when i put them in new (original NGKs had 7000 miles on them) nor when i put the NGKs back in after 8000 miles.
  11. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Nor did the Brisk. Or the Eruption, or the other spoofer-thing, whateveritsname.
    The ECU flash fixed all of it though.
  12. wferrari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom
    I think I can answer for him, I have the very same Brisk spark plugs now, and recently installed the 3rd pair. Beside the original NGK (which were mounted during the ECU upgrade), I've also installed the Pulstar and the Brisk AR10ZS in the past (but not after the ECU flash). Out of the bunch, the AOR10LGS are the ones I prefer. They are definitely better performing, especially in the engine mid-range, where the engine seemed to have suffered the most after the flash.

The Pulstar are not even comparable IMO. They may have more zest on the higher end, but not nearly as smooth anywhere else. My mechanic told me that this type of sparks may suffer from low tension at lower RPMs, particularly in smaller engines. They run rough and not at all enjoyable. The AR10ZS are plain simply dangerous. One broke on me and nearly caused damages to the cylinder.

Having said that, despite the improvements after the ECU flash, I recently re-installed the EJK (for 650GS) with conservative settings, and that still made a big difference in the overall performance, especially in smoothing out the engine breaking.