TR650 Owner Concern?

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Netteb16, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Netteb16 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Hi All,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I have a deposit down on a new Terra due to be picked up March 1st. With Husky being sold, BMW influence ending, and KTM influence beginning, I'm not sure I see the Terra/Strada platform sticking around. There's just too much BMW in that bike. I might be wrong, but I hope not.

Worst case scenario, they discontinue the bike. What problems am I looking at as a new owner of an about to be discontinued bike? (Parts, service, etc.)

I'm a guy that worries, help me out here everyone! :(
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I just bought a TR650 Terra, and am asking the same questions... there have been a LOT of TR650s sold, though the exact numbers have not been disclosed, so it is my hope that there will be parts for a long time - at least from the other TR650 owners selling & parting out bikes - but they are supposed to provide parts for 10 years.

From what I can tell the engine is uber reliable..
    Terramack likes this.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I think you will be fine. They have to support it one way or another and it is a great bike.
  4. mario33 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra'13 - Lady in Red 2
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    Same position here. Deposit given... I was even thinking about giving up my deposit but its just too much. And I will be the first to buy TR650 in my country... :-( pretty scary now.

The problem here is IMHO not the parts, not support, but aftermarket. I dont really expect it to develop as much as I thought..
  5. Netteb16 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    That's an excellent point, I didn't even consider the aftermarket issue. A once promising and budding area of aftermarket accessories might now be dead?
  6. Netteb16 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    The following quote was stolen from "Butters" on Advrider.com, it put me a bit at ease...

"I've never once regretted buying my one-year-run G650X. The Terra seems head and shoulders above anything comparable (KLR, G650GS) in the bigger DS niche. If it does end up being a one year run, which I doubt as it seems to very selling quite well unlike the G650X bikes, I would only worry about aftermarket. Skid plates and factory racks already exist, so I can't think of too many Terra-specific items that one would need. All else can certainly be easily adapted.

Seriously, what parts would you reasonably envision needing that is specific only to the Terra? Do you really want to be putzing around on a KLR three years from now because you were worried about getting a headlight protector?"
    cc'er and Coffee like this.
  7. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Nett - I really could not read your post, so I took the liberty of editing it slightly (color of text red->black)
    Netteb16 likes this.
  8. BILLF CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    92WXC350 /Lamson CR250/701 Vitpilen/
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph900 Scrambler 1200 HD Nightst
    I really see no reason why they cant continue building this bike,hoping BMW is done with offroad smaller bikes and just hook Kymco up with Husky on this deal.If iwas Mr Pierer thats what i would want Great bike ,selling out fast why not put forth every effort to ride the wave and keep making money.
  9. Beemermcr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Terra - "Burro"
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 BMW 1200 GSA, 2000 DRZ400e
    My understanding is the TR 650 bikes have jumped Husky sales 25% over prior year - the buyer has been pretty successful in taking a dirt bike brand and moving it up into adventure bikes (640/690 and 950/990s). Buying Husky at this time, the TR bikes may have been a real positive in his plan for the brand -
  10. farp Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Beta 400rr
    I have a deposit on a TR650 Terra and I expect to pick it up within a week or so. I'm not worried in the slightest. I was talking to the Husky rep at the recent Vancouver motorcycle show and he told me Husky expects to sell more TR650s than all their other models combined, and the info I've gotten from surfing the web bears this out. It seems inconceivable that Husky, or Peirer, would discontinue such a promising bike. And considering what KTM has done under Peirers' direction the most probable assumption is that the TR650 will be improved in coming years. Peirer would undoubtedly have secured all the parts and processes needed to continue manufacturing the bike before he bought the brand. I think he wanted more autonomy running KTM than Bajaj would allow so he got out and is now in charge of Husky, and I don't think that's a bad thing.
    Netteb16 and Terramack like this.
  11. Terramack Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 terra
    I think this is the best thing that has happened to husky is a long while. I hope it continues to build other Terra and strada type bikes.
    I have been in the bike business for over 25 years and its the same deal everytime a new bike comes out. It takes six months for accessories to come on the market. I sold KLR's back when they came out. You couldn't buy squat for them for 10 years.
    Now you have all sorts of smaller grass roots business building accessories as well as the big companies.
  12. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I did some digging around, and parts will be available from the current suppliers. Husqvarna was building the 650s with 650 engines under contract from a supplier, and Stefan Pierer's holding company bought Husqvarna (and the contracts with suppliers).
  13. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    I would be more concerned about this as someone that hasn't bought one yet. I was hoping that I could get my hands on this next year after I buy a 310 this year...

Being a one year bike means nothing to me. Wheels can be replaced independently, parts are still all current BMW, and there isn't much I'd add that motosportz doesn't make :)
    FabOneUp and jugglingogre like this.
  14. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    It is [almost] inconceivable that anyone would purchase Husqvarna from BMW without securing an ongoing supply of BMW sourced stock or parts for any models which were reliant on same. I think your fears are unfounded. The Terra has been a huge success since it's launch so far, has received great reviews from people who have ridden it and people who have bought it. It's hard to imagine that the buyer would be prepared to dump the model just because it had a few BMW emblems on it.
    KaterM and Netteb16 like this.