TR650 no blinkers or flashers

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Sturgis, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Sturgis Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several Harley's, Drz400sm, KLR650
    Bought a 2013 Strada only 2000 miles rear number plate holder and turn signals gone. Replaced with after market LEDs but both front and rear blinkers don't work nor do the flashers. Used test light and no power to front or rear but they flash in the dash. Headlight, tailight and brake light work fine. Have found that these have an integrated flasher in the dash. Any way I can bypass and hook up these lights or is there something else to check? Abs light flashes also. New to the Husky the rest of the bike is like new. Thanks for any input.
  2. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
  3. Sturgis Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    I thought that this had LEDs from factory, maybe I'm wrong, also is that why no power to either front or rear? The fronts are originals.
  4. Next Strada Demolitionist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Do you have a voltmeter? Have the fuses been checked? I had a similar issue with some heated grips and finally found a break in the hot wire. Took me a bit to find it. Start where you have power and work your way towards the lights. Good luck.
  5. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    The TR did not come with LED lighting, just standard bulbs all around from the factory.
  6. Sturgis Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes you are right, just checked. I checked for power and it goes to the instrument panel from turn switch but nothing from there. Moisture in the dash, have taken it off to dry out, maybe that affected it.
  7. SpittingCobra Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLX400
    Sturgis, there should be some voltage coming FROM the panel TO the turn switch. The Turn switch grounds (Brown wire) either left or right to tell the Panel to flash. The Panel then pulses 12V to either left or right indicators. Does your numberplate light work? Check that you do have a good ground on the brown wires to indicators, License Plate and Turn Switch as a poor earth can cause weird issues. Another clue to observe is the frequency of the flashing, if a globe blows the rate of flash speeds up. If your indicators are not working, is your panel light flashing really fast?
  8. Sturgis Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Spittingcobra, thanks for the reply. My number plate light and tail light work, it does flash fast in the dash as do the flashers. I've checked the ground from battery to each ground wire and it does have ground just no power. Took the dash apart as there was signs of moisture, cleaned it up but no difference. So what you're saying is if it flashes in the dash than the integrated flasher is still ok? Not great at electrics but this site has been helpful.
  9. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    You will most likely have to find 4 resistors and bridge each of the LED winkers to give the proper resistance for the bulb. The LED draws little to no discernible current, which acts like a blown bulb to the rest of the circuit. I do not know if this is the case for the TR650, but it is on other bikes and vehicles.
  10. Next Strada Demolitionist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
  11. snail_72 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR 650
    My bike will now be on its 3 dash because of Blinkers not working. First it started with the right hand side not working at all (wiring and lights all checked out ok and was traced back to the dash being faulty) that was replaced under warranty. Then 3 months later the back left hand side stopped working and was traced back to the dash a 2nd time. when it was put on the moss tool it did put up a fault code. My dealer has been very very good about it all. All work has been done under warranty but my only thing is oct this year my warranty will be up and if it happens again after oct will i be up for a $1200 dash + labor? Being a known fault before more then once.
  12. SpittingCobra Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLX400
    What Magoo says is absolutely correct, I removed one globe to check and they do flash faster. Whilst your flasher circuit is apparently working, there are 4 individual outputs for left, right, front and rear. We don't know how these are controlled internally but I would be checking them to see if there is any battery potential. Analog meters are better for observing pulsating voltage because you will see the needle kick in sequence with the dash. It may be worth making a "Test" light with any old globe, about 5W I would think, and a couple of bits of wire which would also load the indicator circuit properly. It becomes a bit tricky holding wires so clip one side of the globe to earth and if it is too hard getting to the connector, a pin pushed into the wire (not into your finger on the other side) makes a good temporary connection point. Make sure you have the right wire though else you could do more damage. I presume you have a circuit diagram, there have been some posted in the forum. If there is no output from the dash I would be looking for an alternative aftermarket flasher instead of replacing the $1200 dash.
  13. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT

Odd, anyway on expensive individual items the warranty should start again or be at least 12 months... Have they checked out the voltage regulator?
  14. snail_72 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR 650
    all of the above my self and so has there head mechanic old and new head mechanic. all 3 of us found the same thing....... but i did not have the moss tool to give me a error code. so i'm thinking its some thing else. i have worked a lot of PCB boards in my time but because the dash is one big layered pcb........................ thing just done die like that and for the same reason. it has to be some thing else. i have only done tests on my bike because if i do any thing else it will void warranty and its warranty job any way.
  15. Sturgis Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
  16. Sturgis Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Is there a place to find out how to wire in an aftermarket flasher to eliminate buying a dash? Local parts store has different flashers and may be a good option if I can hook in to the switch area and work to the blinkers.
    snail_72 likes this.
  17. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
    Maybe you could adapt a lighting harness from Baja Designs and eliminate the need for computer control for blinkers. Should be doable as it is just a wiring circuit, fuse, blinker relay and power source.
    snail_72 likes this.
  18. SpittingCobra Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLX400
  19. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    What you can do to make it work (if this is the problem) cheap and easy is:

unplug a stock winker
    measure the resistance
    figure out the watt/amp draw
    buy a resister of a higer resistance and watt rating
    solder resister in inconspicuous place on wires to winker, across the leads (one per winker 4 total)
    Weather proof it.
    Done.

The winker will now draw the correct current to initiate the winker relay.

BUT, there may be a better alternative which I have not researched as of this writing. I myself tend to forget the signal, and look like an idiot riding with the blinker on. My Honda scooter has a loud clicker.

If I could find a good clicker/indicator assembly, that I could incorporate instead of resisters, I would do that instead. This may be able to be added on the "Power In" to the dash relay and serve to initiate the LED as well. stead.
    PaulC likes this.
  20. Sturgis Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles: