Tr650 Inspiration

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Mal, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Mal Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2017 Yamaha MT09
    If you are like me then you love your TR650 for all the right reasons, but sometimes get distracted by shiny new models like the Husqvarna 701, or perhaps the new unicorns in the form of the Yamaha T7 and the KTM 790.

So I thought it was time to show off some of the reasons why we bought into the TR650 in the first place. Here are a couple of the early Husqvarna prototypes that got us inspired. I particularly like these prototypes because they remind me of my early riding days with the XT500 and TT600.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/photo-gallery/husqvarna-baja-concept-first-look/

https://www.cycleworld.com/2012/11/16/husqvarna-baja-650-concept

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2011/11/08/2012-husqvarna-concept-moab-scrambler/

And this one, almost the production model:

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2011/12/02/2012-husqvarna-concept-strada-intro/

For me, to park my TR650 and part with lots of cash on a new model, it will need to be able to tonker around at low revs, sound like a single or V-twin, and capable of pulling down low without being snatchy. It will also need to be large enough to suit my 192cm frame yet light enough to get myself out of trouble if riding on my own.

The TR650 is not exactly light, but I am working on that and looking at a goal of 180kg fully fuelled with ABS. If that doesn't sound too impressive, the KTM 690 rally raid is around 170kgs and anything bigger like the KTM 1090R are 225+kg with the same fuel range and so not really suitable for sand or solo dirt riding.

Feel free to add posts on anything you find on the TR that might inspire us, or perhaps something customised.

Attached Files:

PaulC, Ziggy and P-A Calmhede like this.
  2. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 450 XC-W '11 BMW R1200GS
    I would like to know your plan for making a TR650 180kg's. That would be impressive! :popcorn:
  3. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Can't see much of an issue there. It's only a few kg's.
    Ditch the rear rack/ remove rear footpegs + hanger brackets and some small crap like sidestand-switch etc, replace the stock bars and mirrors with aftermarket stuff , ditch footpeg-rubbers and you're just about there.
    Want more? Mod the connector pipe and ditch the R-muffler, open+mod... or replace... the left muffler.
    Done.

Stock figures:

Weight Terra 165 kg (364 lb)
    Terra ABS 166 kg (366 lb)
    Strada 168 kg (370 lb)[1] (dry)

Terra 183 kg (403 lb)
    Terra ABS 184 kg (406 lb)
    Strada 186 kg (410 lb)[1] (wet)
  4. Johnn Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    T4 Moto Guzzi
    Just to add to Gltch's Post.
    Standard Mufflers weigh 3 kg each and a Lithium Battery is 1.5 kg opposed to 4kg for a standard battery.

Lots of scope to reduce weight as per Glitch's comments.

How much do you want to spend? (law of diminishing returns):thinking:
  5. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Something a bit more involved were those two:

From a stock-186kg dry....to 171kg wet incl. all mods and extras.
    Yep, that started life as a K6 V-Strom 650

[IMG]

To make sure things hadn't gone wrong the first time, there had to be another.
    K9, V-Strom 650, 178kg wet, the rear subframe is as stock as the pillion accomodation.
    Nothing much else is, though.
    +40mm ground clearance due to re-routing of header pipes and raising links , shock etc
    Going with a single disc up front would've saved another 2kg. Using a different front tyre to the K60 would have reduced weight by a 0.5kg.

[IMG]
    Ziggy likes this.
  6. Mal Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2017 Yamaha MT09
    Yep there is a limit to how far we can or should go, and you guys just about summed it up. See one of my advrider posts for some of what I have done, noting that Strada with ABS plus screen, plus bash plate, plus bar raisers, plus tall seat, plus bark-busters, plus hand warmers, plus bigger footpegs makes the task a little harder. My TR is at 182kgs now with removed pillion pegs (1.1kg), a new Altrider bash plate, no SW-Moto radiator guard and recon I can get 2kg less with a smaller or titanium muffler and carbon bash plate to crack 180. However, I am planning to put the Safari tanks on so that might upset my plans. Not sure where I'll get any more weight off after that...

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/husky-tr650-new-owners-stupid-questions-thread.850525/page-407

20171105_103946.jpg
    PaulC likes this.
  7. Mal Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2017 Yamaha MT09
    That's impressive, I am struggling to see where 25-30 kgs went. If that bike and engine have that kind of potential, why would Suzuki not make a more off-road model?
  8. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 450 XC-W '11 BMW R1200GS

Oops...your right! I got my conversion wrong. For some reason I thought it was an ever 2.0 conversion to pounds. :confused: I have not weighed mine since the last go around of modifications. I am sure I shaved at least 15 lbs. or 6.804 Kg's. See....I can be taught. :)

Didn't a few of us weigh our bikes awhile back and decide that advertised weight was way off? Wasn't actual weight somewhere around 430 lbs or 195 kg's?
  9. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    All documented in the build threads (short versions of that on ADV)
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/at-it-again-thinstrom-650.251613/
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/the-mongrel-the-last-hooray-of-the-original-thinstroms.684727/
    Also knocked off a good 20kg's from each of the earlier DL1000s
    (one at each end in this line-up)
    Built threads of those also on ADV somewhere.

[IMG]

Guess, Suzuki didn't want to get into making things complicated or single-minded, make them more general purpose and keep the price of the bike at a target-level.
    Want "hot-dirt"? Buy a Katoom.
    Want a Jack-of-all-trades" at a bargain basement price? Here's the Strom.
    They succeeded brilliantly, no question.
    Ziggy likes this.
  10. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada

Looking to trim weight while adding bling and extras.... sure is a struggle. :-))
  11. Ziggy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Coming from a big Adv bike the Terra feels light and agile to me ;)

The 701 Husky looks tasty but what a price! The upcoming KTM 790 will doubtless be a contender but also at a price. The T7 will be more affordable but we'll have to see about the weight.
  12. Mal Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2017 Yamaha MT09
    Yeah, I had originally added some things without too much concern for weight, but now reviewing the choices I made more critically.
    The image below shows it fitted with the new bash plate. It is worth noting that the Strada alloy front wheel with Pilot Road 4 weighed 11.6kgs and the 21 spoked wheel as shown with tractionator tire only weighs 10.3kgs.
    20171203_140001.jpg
    Ziggy and vodka like this.
  13. Mal Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2017 Yamaha MT09
    Yeah, I think the TR650 is downright flickable on winding roads and manageable in most tight or sandy trails that I an likely to venture down.
    My son has the 701 supermoto and it definitely has light weight and power to burn, but I am just not a fan of it. It is a little temperamental, needing revs to pull smoothly and the riding position would need more work than the TR650 to fit me. I am probably just too old for it...
    20171203_172020.jpg
    Adsun, Ziggy, PaulC and 1 other person like this.
  14. vodka Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra ABS
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1200R , Yamy WR250R
    Useful weight for off road camping v unloaded light fun machine with potential.
    Need a flick switch the just drops un needed stuff for a quick fang off road. Rapid turnaround to adventure bike that can support you loaded for a week anywhere.
    I think battery is first step..
    Sadly i do like my centre stand...call me pathetic.....sigh
    Mal and PaulC like this.
  15. Ziggy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    I put the Terra on a weighbridge the other day.

Weighed myself first and figured a correction factor from the error.

It was c. 205 kg. That's in standard form with a third of a tank, a substantial toolkit and other stuff for a day ride, plus the bolt-ons of crash bars, pannier frames, bash plate, barkbusters, Nomadic rack, top box and centre stand.
  16. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint 1050, Daytona 955i
    Sounds about right.
    That's why I'm very discerning about what I bolt on to this bike.
    glitch_oz likes this.
  17. Mal Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2017 Yamaha MT09
    That sounds heavy until you compare it to the true running weight of other bikes with similar setup. I would prefer to pick up your bike than a similarly setup Africa Twin, 800GS or Tiger800. Even a Tenere 660 would be quite a bit heavier I imagine.
  18. Ziggy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    My previous bike in running form would've weighed around 250 kg. Never knew whether I'd walk again after picking it up. That spoils the fun out in the bush forcing cautious choices on you.
    Mal likes this.