Tr650 gas tank

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Raymondwhiteley, May 13, 2017.

1. Raymondwhiteley Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 husqvarna tr650 strada
    Does anyone know what type of plastic the gas tank is made of on the tr650? I have a small whole in my gas tank and I have to find exactly the right type of epoxy to make sure it bonds. I have bought something made by Permatex. Its called black plastic weld but it says that it will not bond to Polyethylene or Polypropylene plastics. Anybody know if I should use this or something different? Please help.
  2. turtlemoye Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE511, TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 BMW 1200GSA
    I can tell you the inside is lined with what looked like a thin translucent green plastic liner. Are you the guy I was chatting with on You Tube?
  3. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    You may want to check into the Scotch-weld dp 8005

It has been used on these bikes with great success.

You can also take a page out of the Safari tank install. Run bolt or screw through with sealing washers on both sides. That would most likely be the safest fix depending on the size of the hole.
  4. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada

No idea about the specific material used on the Husky (BMW?) tanks, but most m'cycle plastic tanks are made from HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) as a core material with another layer of Copolymer (EVOH) to prevent the permeating action of petrol (fuel / fumes "bleed" through the PE, the reason those kind of tanks are usually not painted, the fumes lift the paint sooner or later).

If it's Polypropylene (PP) I'd highly advise to NOT use any glues or epoxys as PP does not bond well at all (the reason, all glues/ resins/ epoxies/ etc carry warnings or exclusion labels for PP).
    Less crucial for modding an airbox, but I wouldn't take my chances on a fuel tank!!
    If there's anyone with a spare tank around (or currently removed one for servicing etc), they will be "stamped" with some raised letters (PP/ PE or such) to denote the basic material.
    (have to be stamped for recycling purposes)
  5. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    nothing sticks to PE or PP very well. That being said, you can often get a satisfactory bond using expoy-resin, especially if the hole is small and not caused by mechanical stress. Epoxy is gas-resistant.

you can plastic weld the tank (if it's PE). if done successfully it's strong & permanent... but it's hard to do right. getting the parent plastic to the right temp brings you very close to the liquid point and stuff starts sagging.

Try the epoxy. If it doesn't work, you can probably pick it off.
  6. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada

...and if not, the tank is rooted anyway. (maybe together with a few square feet of skin into the bargain).
    While not being shy in a lot of ways, I know I'd quit at a plastic fuel-tank!! Yikes!
  7. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    two tanks on ebay.com, cheapest for USD270 or best offer. Both are listed since years so i'd guess you can bargain quite a bit.
  8. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    A new tank is $300, so go from there.

A guy over at ADV is parting out his, that he seized the motor on. He is going for half the AOMC price, so 150 should get it plus shipping if he still has it.
  9. Next Strada Demolitionist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Hey Dave,
    If you have a link for that ADV part out bike you might post it up. I just did a little searching and couldn't find it--but I will keep looking. Side note--Just got back from a 1000 mile camping trip in Kentucky, and your shorty levers performed perfectly. Thanks again!
  10. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
  11. Raymondwhiteley Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Yep
  12. Raymondwhiteley Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I ended up using the Permatex Black Plastic Weld and it worked great. I even tested a sample in gas and it held. I sanded the area good and cleaned it with alcohol and applied the Permatex and it bonded super tight! Im currently putting it all back together. But I did unplug my ECU and surprisingly some of the electrical prongs were oxidized. I got a good spray and a plastic brush and cleaned them and now I will seal the plug with dielectric grease. But thanks for all the advice!
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  13. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Thanks, glad you like them.

The guy is the one Carsten posted link to. You could PM him and ask what parts he may have left. I noticed he is selling on ebay now. Low feedback count, don't remember his handle.