TR650 fork seals - non-OEM

Discussion in 'TR650' started by nev.., Dec 11, 2015.

1. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    My fork seals have started weeping a bit of oil, and there don't seem to be any OEM fork seals at all available in Australia. All of the searches I have done on the topic in this forum and advrider give some great info an replacing the OEM seals, but noone seems to have found any non-Husqvarna replacements.

My local Husqvarna dealer is also a Honda dealer and the parts guy there did a lot of digging and eventually came up with a set of OEM Honda CR125R fork seals which he assures me will fit. They also come with dust covers which he said might not fit properly. The Honda part number is 51490-KZ4-J21.

I'm 99% sure that he's sold me a set which will fit, but if someone else has replaced their fork seals with anything other than the OEM seals I'd love them to confirm or corroborate that before the forks were completely disassembled.
  2. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
    Nev, those are the exact fork seals I purchased but I haven't installed them as yet so, I can't confirm that they fit, sorry.
  3. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Watching this with interest.
  4. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
  5. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    Pretty damn stiff at 30 Euro EACH...PLUS freight!!
    That's a cool A$100++/pair...for some lousy fork seals, ffs!!
    And that's just the basics...then add the dust seals, labour etc etc, jeezaz :eek:

I'll certainly be looking for some non-genuine stuff here, too.
    At A$12-20/ pair I'm happy to throw a set into the garage parts bin
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2X-Front...701838?hash=item35e6ef304e:g:BJUAAOSwEeFVB~v1
    PaulC likes this.
  6. Baddrapp Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
  7. danketchpel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Moto Guzzi, Ducati, Beta
  8. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    If you can buy SKF seals for your bike they are worth the extra money. They last longer, have less stiction and the wipers work better keeping the seal clean. If they get dirty and seep you can carefully clean them with a .006" feeler gauge and they will be good for another round.
  9. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    ...part number or link..?
  10. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
  11. Baddrapp Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
  12. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE

At around the 20,000km mark both of my fork seals were weeping. I did clean out one with a slither of plastic and that stopped. The other started weeping much worse than the first (left a pool of fork oil in the front disk mount bracket), but stopped weeping by itself and has run 1500km since with minimal further loss. For now the seals will stay on the shelf.
  13. hhdwtmtw He who dies with the most toys wins...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE300, '11 TE449, '10 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Royal Enfield Continental GT 650
    Chad's Offroad are a local supplier for the SKF seals (https://www.chadsoffroadsetups.com.au/products/SKF.php)

For what it's worth, I have found dirty fork oil causes leaking more than worn seals. I service my forks each year as dust, mud and grime has a habit of getting past the seals.
  14. Barra Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Vstrom 650

Howdy,
    A mate and I are putting together some spares for a ride across Australis in August and we're trying to avoid the cost of oem fork seal kits.just wondering if anyone has successfully installed the CR125R seals on a Terra?
  15. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE

I was the one who posted about those and I did report back in another thread that when it was time to replace, they did not fit. I took the bike to a bike repairer not affiliated with any brands, and he replaced the OEMs with a set of off the shelf aftermarket seals for a yamaha of similar fork tube size. I can't remember the specifics. I might have posted in another thread some more details than that.

I have since invested in a pair of these fork seal covers for both of my bikes to keep dust and grit out of the fork seal. https://kriega.com/works/fork-seal-covers They don't require removal of the forks to fit.
  16. Barra Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Vstrom 650

Thanks Nev,
    I wound up ordering a set for a bmw 1000 seals as they appear to run 46mm Sachs forks, havent arrived as yet The odd thing is if you ask Tecknic they will sell you 48mm fork seals because that is what the reference manuals have listed for a terra.
    I'm going to be sticking the seals in a toolbox and hoping we don't need them. Leaving Byron on the Great Australia Ride in a few weeks. Two Terras out of about 6 bikes making the crossing...will be interesting to see how they go vs Dr's, DrZ's and an AT.
    Chrs
    Barra
  17. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT
    Got my forks serviced this week. They are crimped cartridges and the valves are within :confused: . Not wanting to spend a fortune I settled for new seals $40, dust seals $40 and a bush set $100 with maxima 10w.
    If I want more or less damping it was suggested running different weight oil in each leg. With the right leg being rebound damping.
    Anyway they used (italian) Ariete parts. Dust seals ARI.088 Seals ARI.087 (146) and they manufactured the bushes.
    The steering was getting crunchy so i installed bearings. 2 x Koyo Japan, L45449 & L45410, cone & cup. Ebay $28. ( Thanks Sussurf )
    Get at least one gasket for when you cut/grind the lower bearing off. Husky part # 800087745 = $16.
    https://www.ariete.com/sites/default/files/prodotti/download/2018_ARI_List by SIZE_2.pdf

cafe_pic.JPG
    Gym with a jib!
    After 6 years the improvement is welcomed
  18. duibhceK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    TRX850; WR450F; XT660Z Tenere

My front forks were upgraded by Hyperpro with new springs, a modified shim stack and different oil. Started off with 10w, but after a 50k km service it was replaced with 7.5w based on my feedback. Totally happy with the setup now.
  19. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint 1050, Daytona 955i
    I had Terry Hayes replace my shimstack with racetech but kept the original springs. I run 5w and happy with the setup for my weight ~70kg.