TM Motercycles

Discussion in 'Non-Husqvarna Motorcycles' started by lankydoug, Sep 5, 2018.

1. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I like cafe husky the best of any forum out there. I sold a couple of my old trusty bikes and went and bought a TM en300 which so far has been fantastic. I thought I’d start a thread on here hoping that anyone who also has a TM can share information like what parts interchange with other brands. For example the bar clamps are the same as Yamaha. Or I can give a review comparing it to other bikes I’ve ridden and owned. Also I got it plated with zero issues in the state of Missouri for $12 after I paid the sales tax. image.jpg
  2. NH-JP 2nd Fastest Old, Slow Guy!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    1988 Honda Hurricane,
    You have a very sharp bike there!
    I have always been curious how they run.
    I would be nervous on the level of support network and parts availability, but that is the same as it was with the Italian Huskies.
    Once I knew this Network and Community was out there, I felt more comfortable in starting down the road of becoming a Husky rider.
    Now on my 4th Husky, I do appreciate the current parts availability / cost.

Hopefully you can get a bunch of like minded folks to follow your trail and gain the same network!
  3. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    I wanna hang around on here too so was thinking of doing the same with me new GG but dunno if it's kosher?
    lankydoug, Kam1 and NH-JP like this.
  4. Teambowles Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    19 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    19 ktm 6 days excf 450 n excf 500
    Imo of course it is the more info and options the better. Great forum and variety will only make it better
    steadydirt, shawbagga and NH-JP like this.
  5. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    I own a Sherco. This is the other bike section lol. Shawbagga, really want to hear about the GG too
    lankydoug, shawbagga and NH-JP like this.
  6. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    Righto I'll do a build thread then seeing as it's so easy to upload photos on this site compared to others.
    LandofMotards likes this.
  7. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    The motor is amazing, tractors down low and gobs of linear power, it revs out like a 250 unlike the KTM 300s I've ridden that pull hard in the middle and then flatten out on top like you pulled the parachute. The suspension is set up perfectly for a 190-200 lb rider... I weigh 210 so I fudged the sag on the stiff side of the spec until I lose another 10 lbs.

As for parts, the importer in California keeps one or more parts on hand for every model they sell. I ordered rad guards and had them in Missouri in 3 days which is better service than when I ordered Yamaha parts from my local dealer. I think the trick is to figure out which parts interchange with other bikes so that you can get aftermarket parts. I think cr250 Honda reeds are the same just like the Italian Husky.
    NH-JP likes this.
  8. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I plan on hanging around until they run me off which I doubt will ever happed. A few years ago I talked on the phone to coffee and he is a super nice all inclusive guy. I think anyone who contributes in a positive way is welcome on this forum.

I also want to hear all about your new GasGas.
    shawbagga, NH-JP and Trenchcoat85 like this.
  9. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    First ride tomorrow! I'll talk GG you talk TM!
  10. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    orgoglio Italiano
    LandofMotards likes this.
  11. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Always have to google your post lol
  12. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    I race with a guy who used to race them and also sold them for a while. He has only good things to say about the bikes, parts prices, and availability.
  13. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    A little update on the en300; So far I like it more and more everytime I ride it. It's the first and only bike that the jetting is spot on and I haven't touched anything but the idle and air screw since I bought it. I'm really picky on jetting and I have no desire to change anything on the carburetor. It's obvious that TM did their homework on squish, fuel and tuning. I've always set my bikes up for race fuel (VP110) and this one is perfectly set up and suited to lug at a crawl in 3rd gear or rip it like a 250 up top. I smoothly lifts the front wheel in the midrange of MAP 2 when exiting corners in the most fun and controllable way. I can ride it in and out of ruts or cross rutted lines to square a corner without and fear of knifing or tucking the front wheel. I stays hooked up and planted better than any bike Ive ever ridden which at times I find myself going way faster than I meant too. I let my friend who bought my Italian WR250 switch bikes with me the last time we rode together and he was shopping for a new bike the next day... he ended up buying a GasGas 300 and is now gradually doing mods to try to make his bike run and handle as good as my TM did out of the box. He does have an electric start to hold over my head and $700 that he saved by going GASGAS over TM... We will see who has the better bike when the the $700 is gone. :) The Mitas tires that came on the bike work surprising well and I'm really not sure what tire I'll replace them with and if it will improve the already amazing handling.

If I die tomorrow my gravestone can read. He liked curvy long legged women, Italian motorcycles & shoes, Cajun coffee with chickory, Rocky Mountains in the summer and Ozarks in the fall.
  14. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    Always loved the look and parts on the TM but they could never get a foothold in the Land of OZ.

BTW, hows the cockpit space for a tall bloke like you Doug?
  15. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    No bike is ever perfect for a 6'6" 200 lb guy with 6'9" arm span and 38" inseam but remarkably I don't feel the need to change the bars or pegs. I have considered a taller seat but it's not so far off that it's a must. Every other bike I've ever owned took bar risers, tall bars, low and back pegs, longer shift lever and a tall seat get to the comfort level that this bike already is. A couple of my shot legged friends have ridden it and liked it better than my old Italian WR250 that I had set up for me. One of my short A vet friends is considering buying one and says it's a toss up between it and a new Beta. I've been riding it on the nicer days between snow storms and as I get more familiar with it I'm starting to go faster than I was able to on any other bike... I kinda feel like the only thing holding me back is lack of youth and maybe bravery.
    reveille and ohmygewd like this.
  16. Hurky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR480F 2008
    I am not the guy that changes vehicles often, I like to stick with my stuff, not sure if I just like my stuff or to spend less money, both I suppose.
    So I'm still with my WR300 2010, doing some engine rebuild right now to keep it going... But from time to time I think about getting a newer bike, I won't go with the orange brand so the newer white 'orange' bikes they call Husky won't be an option for me.
    I like the Beta enduros, nice bike and engine, but the suspensions is not that great (Sachs). Sherco is not my favorite either, The new GasGas is a decent bike, have tried them and it's not bad, much better than the previous models, and it come with KYB suspensions. And finally TM's, I like them because they are more exclusive and come preloaded with all good parts, don't really know that much of them because nobody uses them around here, I think I never seen one in the forest. I read in a forum that the electrics could be better and that most of the parts need to be ordered over from Italy (at least here in Spain the importer is so-so), only OEM plastics available AFAIK... makes a few things more complicated and expensive to fix.

I would really love to try one of these bikes as I have no idea how they handle. As you had a WR250 before, would yo agree that the TM is more 'racing' and violent kind of power delivery ? Less suited for slow enduro (trials like) riding ? I think that TM is more suited for cross-test kind of circuits and not the slow stuff but I may be mistaken.

The 2019 model is about here, they come with electric start, the first models will be carburated but the models selling 2019 and onwards should be injected (here in europe). I would always prefer the carburated version over a new, untested, injected model.

Another thing with the TM is price, it's much more expensive than a new GasGas....

Cheers !
  17. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    We agree on a lot, I also like to set a bike up and ride it for a long time. I also maintain my bikes so they feel new every time I get on them. My 09 wr250 had 500 hours on it and was freshly rebuilt when I sold it. The guy who bought it put 300 more hours on it and is selling it now because he bought a new 300 GasGas.

I definitely recommend you try the TM. The power in map 2 is super smooth and linear and has amazing traction which is part engine tune and part superb suspension. Map 1 is ridiculously fast and lifts the front wheel everywhere wile roosting like a 450. Map 1 would be great in sand or open desert when you really want all you can get but where I ride I'm comfortable in map 2. One of my friends rode a 2018 GASGAS 300 and my TM back to back and he thought my TM was much more powerful and it was in map 2 when he rode it. I think the GASGAS could be improved and maybe run closer to the TM if you did a cylinder head mod set up for race fuel like the TM is from the factory. Map 2 is not violent at all but it does have the ability to lift the front end or break the tire loose of you want it to so you have to have some throttle control skills. Map 1 requires precise throttle control and I prefer to go with map 2 and not have to think so much which allows me to focus on line choices rather than self preservation. The electronically controlled power valve must have a lot to do with the mapping and TM has really nailed the set up.

I bought my TM for $8,400.00 but it was a 2017 and had been on the dealer floor throughout the winter so technically it was a left over. If you're going to bling out a bike the TM seems to me a better deal because it's already done but if you don't want or need to mod the engine or put billet hubs, Brembo brakes and clamps on a bike then maybe A beta or gasgas would make you happy.. The KTM/Husky bikes are just as high priced as the TM and in my opinion not as good. My local TM dealer has been selling a lot of 2 stroke MX bikes especially 80 and 100cc bikes to really fast kids who's parents typically spend thousands on Yamahas and KTMs to get them competitive for top level competition. The TM minis might require a spring change and valving for the fastest riders but the rest of the bike is ready to go to the track.

Theres so many good choices out there right now as long as you have a bag of money. I miss the days of 4-6K left over bikes. I think the best bike for the money ever made was the 2013 Italian cr125 with a 144 kit included for $3995.00. but I digress and should stay on topic with less rambling lol.
    steadydirt and Hurky like this.
  18. geastman Husqvarna
    AA Class

I will continue your digression and second your CR125 “best value ever” opinion. While my 2018 TE150 is better in pretty well every area except price (and TBD, I suspect long term durability) the price was just shy of double what I paid 4 years earlier for a 2014 CR125 with 144 kit.
    lankydoug likes this.
  19. huskyfrk Husqvarna
    AA Class

for you flat track fans, TM is selling a 450 for flat track, comes w 19's on both ends, and is first time out running with the local pro's. this is in southern calif
    lankydoug likes this.
  20. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I would really like to have one of the TM flat trackers they have a sweet 300 two stroke tracker and a 530 4 stroke that's got to be a rocket. I wish there were more races being held around the country so local amateurs could compete without having to spend a fortune traveling to races.

I'm a flat track fan from way back in the 70s and had a 76 kx125 that was set up for flat track just as flat track popularity was going away and motocross was gaining. Shana Texter is gaining well deserved popularity on her Husky and it gives me hope that Husky will start making a production flat tracker.