Tires (tyres) for muddy ride

Discussion in 'TR650' started by JimKelly, Nov 7, 2017.

1. JimKelly Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R75/5, Suzuki Stinger, Yamaha YB
    Hi all

I’m going on an 11 day ride around Tasmania with 3 mates in a month.

We’re going to head for mostly off-road riding - Jacob’s Ladder and a few other other road icons are planned.

Tasmania has a bit of a reputation for being wet and muddy. I’m currently running E-07 tyres back and front that have not worked well in deep mud (I’ve got the broken finger to prove it).

I’m riding a Terra with full camping load some of the time but will drop the camping stuff for day rides.

Does anyone have recommendations for tyres for this sort of riding?
  2. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada
    After a dozen Tas-rides on + offroad I've never found it any different to Vic/NSW... or the rest of Aus.
    E07s are fine...and with a little gravel-experience many routes incl. Jacobs Ladder/ Western Explorer etc. are rideable on a road-bike with road-tyres.
    That also goes for near all of the beach-runs, the North-East quadrant/ Mt. William, Apsley NP and many other areas (something like an 07/ K60 etc front with a Tourance-type rear are absolutely fine...@ road-pressures, too).

The only areas habitually wet + soggy are some of the tracks around the North-West (Tarkine area, Balfour, Montezuma Falls via Dundas-Tramway Track etc etc)
    and SouthWest (minor tracks of the Florentine Vly, Hartz Mtns, Scotts Peak and the old gold diggings etc)
    Some good (and correct) info here: http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/indeX.aspX?base=7542
    (as always, take with a pinch of salt, weather can change things drastically)
    Also more info here http://www.4wdtasmania.com/
    Climies Track between Granville + Trial Harbour is more a matter of steepness/ washouts and rough creek crossings/ rocks before any mud comes into it.
    Have fun, great place.
    JimKelly and Mark_H like this.
  3. Ziggy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    I'm a fan of Karoo 3s. They're surprisingly good leaning into blacktop bends and have enough bite for the average Victorian boghole (which has a firm base). My comparators are the K60 and TKC 70 - which are around the 70/30 ratio, so not quite in the same category.

The drawback is wear. My tours include a good amount of riding on bitumen in order to get to the interesting stuff on the Terra and I get around 3,500 kms out of a rear.
    JimKelly likes this.
  4. duibhceK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    TRX850; WR450F; XT660Z Tenere
    The TKC70 is a 100% road tyre with a slightly adventurous look. I had them out on in Turkey last year to replace my K60 because that was all there was available at the time. I would definitely not take those where I took the K60.
    Imho K60 is a 50/50, at least the rear and when you use the 130 width (without the centre band). The front K60 I don't like so much for muddy terrain, I replaced that now with a Shinko E700. That works really well with the k60 rear for proper dual sport.
    TKC70 is ok for tarmac and dry hardpack.
    If you're talking serious deep mud, I'd go for a Mitas E09, Michelin AC10 or something of that ilk.
    JimKelly likes this.
  5. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 450 XC-W '11 BMW R1200GS
    How about a Motoz Tractionator Adventure rear and a D606 front (I do not recommend a Motoz for the front). That combo will get you through anything.

I have been wanting to try the Mitas E09's. But lately I have been leaning towards some inexpensive tires to try. I am tired or paying !50-200 for a rear tire. The Shinko 805 and Kenda Big Block are both under $100. The ever loved TKC 80 has dropped in price too at about $200 for a set. Though I don't think a Big Block or a TKC 80 would be a good choice for mud and sand.
    JimKelly and Motosportz like this.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Goldentyre GT723 The front is awesome and the rear is very good.
    JimKelly likes this.
  7. glitch_oz Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada

This is Australia. NO tire is below $100 ,
    Front or rear, whatever the brand + model
    Just for a little check, try https://motorcycletyrewarehouse.com.au/metzeler-karoo-3-11
    JimKelly likes this.
  8. Ziggy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650

With the TKC70 and banded K60 you need to drop the pressures. They don't work with the recommended hardtop settings. Then in softer dirt you get the lug edges engaging.

The K60 is a shocker on wet bitumen. Hard compound and stiff sidewalls. It's only virtue is long life and you may pay dearly for that.
    JimKelly likes this.
  9. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    I have a set of Motoz Tractionator Adventure fitted at my last service, but I haven't really done much dirt road riding since, but they feel fine on the bitumen. @ AU$350 for the pair, fitted, they're the cheapest tyre I've run on the Terra since new, having previously given the Karoo T, Karoo 3, and a couple of sets of E09/E10 a whirl.
    JimKelly likes this.
  10. Ziggy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Be interested to hear how they go nev.

The Tractionator models have generated quite a bit of interest. I would've fitted the Adv version to my KTM 1190 if it'd been available in time.
    JimKelly likes this.
  11. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT

I found the karoo 3's gave a nice comfortable ride with loads of feedback as expected from metzeler. The front was excellent on bitumen but the rear was positively scary in the wet.
    On single hard pack trails I felt there was little control, probably due to the lack of side knobs and I found myself always sideways. Frustrating me no-end.
    I dont take the terra off road much. I leave that for the Zeds. If you like this style of tyre (as I do) may I suggest Avon Trekriders. Love em

And to the question from Jim, I have mentioned elsewhere Motoz Tractionator Desert for the mud.
    Just my take

edit; probably take a gearing option too
    JimKelly likes this.
  12. JimKelly Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R75/5, Suzuki Stinger, Yamaha YB
    Thanks. All good advice. One of my riding mates and I are heading to Pablos next weekend to get some new rubber. I’ll take all this advice with me but also ask their advice.

Jim
  13. duibhceK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    TRX850; WR450F; XT660Z Tenere
    I have actually not had any major issues with the K60 in the wet, and we don't really take it slow. Used it in a drizzle, in torrential rain in all kinds of temperatures and in continuous rain with temperatures only barely above freezing in Scandinavia. I found TKC80s worse in the wet. TKC70s did ok on wet tarmac.
    But that's tyres for you, everyone has a different idea/experience.
    JimKelly likes this.
  14. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ah, but wait.....This isn't too bad. On that site I found a Dunlap D606 130/90-18 for 129.95 which converts to 100.00 even in US dollars, which brings me to another point that I had completely forgotten about. Our stock 140 wide tire is a very bad selection for the mud. The wider tire doesn't leave much room to shed, so our chains wind up wiping off the mud on the left side and dragging it through the drive train. I have experienced this first hand in Utah. Of course it was that nasty stuff that stacks up on the bottom of your boots as well. Regardless, since that day, I have been running 130's. If I knew for sure that I was going on a trip that was going to be wet and muddy, I might even try and stuff on a 120.
    JimKelly likes this.
  15. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    You don't need to ask Pablo's. WE know it all! :D
    JimKelly and PaulC like this.
  16. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint 1050, Daytona 955i
    Just came back rom a 4 day mid-north coast hinterland trip in a mixture of dry & wet conditions.
    606 on the front (2nd one I've fitted) & Motoz Tractionator Adventure 140 rear.
    Road performance with this combo is excellent, but I don't push my luck in the wet. On the dry you can almost corner sport bike speed.
    Off-road, this combo was probably the best I've had on this bike. That comparo includes the (rear) stock Metzelers, K60 Scout, Mitas EO7. The Scout I would rate a little better than the Metzeler Sahara, but it didn't last all that long. Both lasted about 10,000k. The surprise was the Mitas EO7. It was a bit more 50/50 and road performance was great, off-road very respectable. I took it off after more than 20,000k and still not right down to the wear bars!
    We'll see about the wear life of the Tractionator but it has the deepest tread I've seen ~15mm.
    Can't knock the 606 as a front all round tyre for ~$100.
    Both spooned on with normal track riding tyre levers. Tractionator cost about $220.
    FabOneUp, JimKelly and PaulC like this.
  17. vodka Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra ABS
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1200R , Yamy WR250R
    Hi gang,slightly appropriate for this thread. Talk of mud and all. Was adjusting chain tension...started hearing slight hiss undoing locking nuts...suddenly realized I hadnt drilled under end of wheel supports...and there indeed some ancient brown water . I have now sealed usual water egress plugs back at rubber curtain and washed out water with dw40. About 40 mls total...have no idea in ounces...sorry.-
    Just a dutiful reminder.