Tips sought for riding solo

Discussion in 'Common Items on Husqvarnas: Tires/tubes/grips/etc' started by Nordic, Sep 2, 2013.

1. PBM457 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TC250R
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 350SXF 2004 RM250
    I would make a ride plan, letting someone know where you're going, and how long you'll be gone. I would also invest in some type of EPERB type device.
    LandofMotards likes this.
  2. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    I have ridden solo into many remote places a lot and the fact that I'm on my own adds to the thrill. The colors, smells, challenges etc are much more distinct. If we have every eventuality in adventure riding covered, is it really an adventure?
    reveille likes this.
  3. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    AMEN
  4. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    It's a dirt bike ride for me ...The 250cc Husky is the story ...

--

I ride alone lots here in this place, but guess what? I can't go 20 minutes without seeing someone on Cebu walking or riding past... So I'll just add, ride where someone will be passing by before too long and give you a helping hand ...
    frontiercat and Huskynoobee like this.
  5. Daveb511 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ktm 350 exc
    I ride alone sometimes. I do not like to but like others said it is better than not riding at all. The main thing I do is just take it easy and enjoy. Many times I have reminded myself to slow down, go easy. This works for me and let's me enjoy the ride. I save the aggressive riding for when I have friends along.
    ray_ray likes this.
  6. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    If the rider is bi-polar, is it still considered riding alone?
    Cosmokenney likes this.
  7. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    Even more so, ...maybe schizophrenic or bisexual. ;)
    Alberto likes this.
  8. Sceep Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '09 te310
    Other Motorcycles:
    '94 st1100
    I carry first aid, tools, food, water, parts, tubes on EVERY RIDE. The only thing that changes for me when solo is the pace, and route choices. Slow down, take the easier lines. stop to take some pictures. Riding solo is more time for personal reflection, than when riding with the group.
    Xcuvator, ray_ray and Radar like this.
  9. BarberPole Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT225
    I don't take the spare pump with me but I did install the $6 Radio Shack capacitor as explained in the 610 forum (maybe ADV) so that the bike will run with a bad, or apparently, no battery.
    Doing the bump start solo is the chore..........at 71. Ha.
    ray_ray likes this.
  10. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09

That, and the InReach uses a different (newer, with worldwide coverage) satellite system. I'm definitely going to get an InReach when I'm done spending $s on farkles. Strangely they stopped selling the GPS Mapping Units with the SPOT/InReach built in. Would be nice to cover two purchases in one. I've also done some research on PLBs. They are supposedly more reliable in canyons and what not, but like the SPOT, are one-way. So there is no "Hey buddy, how about bringing a gallon of gas to bum-fuk-nowhere so I can get home?" type of messages. Here's a funnyish story about how not to use PLBs: http://www.wildsnow.com/2323/plb-rescue-beacon-acr/
    Tinken likes this.
  11. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
  12. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    Your wife or GF is supposed to buy it for you so they can help if you get in trouble....;)
  13. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    Couldn't find anyone to ride with today so I took skunk dawg and stinky man...
    Here's my riding buddies, exhausted, after a three hour trail ride: tmp_20131222_170307-198466248.jpg

And the reason I can't stop riding alone: tmp_20131222_151958803542315.jpg

What a great day on some beautiful trails!
    dratharr and Tinken like this.
  14. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    That is a very good way to explain it. :thumbsup:
    I tend to leave when there is a break in work and weather and it is almost impossible to find a buddy. There is something about riding solo that gives me quite a thrill, especially when I get back into the Rocky Mountains..:)
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    juicypips and Tinken like this.
  15. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    I bought a street bike to get my riding fix in on weekends I cant find anyone to ride off-road with. I used to ride alone on a regular basis. too many close calls and it literally turned me into a very slow rider because I was paranoid all the time
  16. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    I hear ya on slowing down on your rides ... One issue with going slow is that too slow can cause crashes also. At least for me, going too slow can cause fall-overs at the wrong time.

You gotta trust yourself and your bike and let it flow but not on the cutting edge of your speed and riding ability. But before I quit working and had only 1 or 2 days a week to ride ~6 months or so out of the yr, each ride was balls to the wall and on 2-way, ST trails... The head-on collision type trails in GPNF ...

Now I get to ride very day if desired, almost 365 days a yr now so its not such an epic event when I ride. Much easier to chill on each ride if I want to go slow and pick the places I let it hang out... I know the trails here usually and that helps the safety aspect of each ride greatly.

--
    Street riding is ok and will not beat you up as bad but its not a dirt bike ride. Riding my TCs on the street here keeps the speed down and is much safer I think. My bikes are not used as a time machine to move me instantly to my next location.
    Clete and Radar like this.
  17. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    Looks like a Vizla, can't those dogs run all day? It would be a good model name for an Enduro.
  18. Micfasto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TXC 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR400, Vstrom
    I do ride solo a lot. Best advise I can give is; If you ride with others because you want them to be there to bail you out when you mess up you should not ride by yourself.
    Radar likes this.
  19. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09

Yea, he's a Vizsla. Best dog ever. Seriously funny little guy. He can run for hours. But my the other dog, a German Shorthaired Pointer (female) can go pretty much all day. She's pushing 8, so after a few hours of chasing the motorcycle, she's not as energetic when we get back to the truck as she used to be. But, she still runs around "hunting" while I load up. Both of them have been running with me from day one on the mountain bike. So trail riding is just another run them. The GSP was nicknamed "skunk dawg" by my MTB buddies, because she's been sprayed by skunks on about 5 - 8 group night rides!
  20. MorrisBetter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1200GS
    Ahhhh, that's a screamin' deal. $499 less then an iPhone unless you go with one of the older models (4 or 4S) from Virgin ($30/Mo. and up) or one of the other discount carriers.