Tips on inspecting an '06 610SM

Discussion in '610/630' started by lavrider, Apr 10, 2014.

1. lavrider Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati MTS
    First post so please bear with the noob.
    I've sold my Ducati Multistrada and I've been on the hunt for a 610 or 630SM. Never owned or ridden a Sumo but you guys make it sound like so much fun.

There have been a few nearby (Connecticut) on CL, ADVRider, etc. I'm somewhat on the fence on buying a newer ('09-'11) model with low miles in the $5000+ range and blowing my whole budget, or getting an older model and having cash left over for mods, other projects, etc. Since it's my first Sumo maybe it makes sense to go cheaper to try it out. Plus the depreciation would be less down the road.

I may be checking out an '06 610SM in upstate NY this weekend. The bike has about 8800 miles and the owner says the cam chain was done at about 6K. I'm not afraid of servicing myself.

Can you give me some tips on what to look for, both visually and during a test ride? Bike has an Arrow exhaust and some jetting. What's a fair price?

Thanks for the feedback.
  2. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    Items are basically the same as any other used bike, especially if the cam chain is known to be ok (since this is one of the few unique issues to these bikes). Wheel bearings, swingarm/linkage bearings, drive chain & sprockets, wheels/spokes, engine oil leaks...

The valve inspection covers are known to weep on these bikes is not installed properly, so you may see a bit of that. Could check countershaft sprocket for spline play, as some guys have reported wear in that location. The aluminum subframes can break on these if overloaded, check near the rear of the seat for cracks there. The battery box (part of the subframe) also tends to crack. I wouldn't let issues like this keep me from buying a bike, but they would mean that you'd need some repairs.
  3. lavrider Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati MTS
    Thanks for the advice. Was going to look at an '06 today but the seller flaked out. I hate Craigslist!