Throttle body variations?

Discussion in 'TR650' started by kjackbrown, Jun 19, 2013.

1. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    I was just looking through the Husky parts catalog and noticed that there are three different part number listed for the throttle body on the TR650. I looked up the part numbers on ktm-parts.com and they are all valid numbers...
    TR catalog ktm-parts.com
    43kW #7674930 "Throttle Body BMW" $399.30
    USA #8538970 "Throttle Body USA" $408.98
    35kW #8538803 "Throttle Body" $408.98

Do some countries have larger or smaller throttle bodies than USA? The only major parts contained withing those part numbers are the TPS, IAC motor, injector, and the throttle body (cast part) itself. The only I could see possibly being different would maybe be the cast body and the injector.

Anybody know what the difference is between the three different sku's? I'm just curious.

Kev.
  2. msmith345 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 WR250, '92 360, '80 390
    Other Motorcycles:
    '72 Yamaha R5, '17 SV650
    The 35kW/43kW labels make me think those are for the restricted/unrestricted euro models. Then the USA model I would assume is the CA compliant model.
  3. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    The TR has a de-rated power option for certain countries. This can be seen with the 43kW vs. 35kW parts. But, I would have thought the USA got the 43kW and am confused why the third part? I would have also thought that software changes would have been the only thing necessary for the de-rated power, not physical part differences.
    chris1261 and Coffee like this.
  4. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    Same here! :excuseme:
  5. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Looks like the throttle cable holder is different between 43kW vs 35kW. This is part of the throttle body assembly:

43 kW 4 7654888 1 Throttle cable holder
    35 kW 4 8539613 1 Throttle cable holder

None of the other parts in the assembly list out separate parts, so I guess the throttle body itself is what's different.

The USA apparently gets a unique fuel tank:

1 8000H5306 1 Fuel tank
    USA 1 8538806 1 Fuel tank

I couldn't find any differences in the canister parts, but I'm guessing the USA specific throttle body is emissions related, like the fuel tank.

It would be interesting if stumbling/lean running issues are at all related to USA specific emissions.
  6. Lekolite Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Where did you get the parts catalog? Maybe a stupid question but, whatever.
    Thanks
  7. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
  8. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
  9. Lekolite Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
  10. chris1261 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada

I think you're right. I believe that the USA throttle body has a vacuum tap for the charcoal cannister. One of the guys on here was trying to install a scottoiler on his euro model, and there was no vacuum take-off on his bike.

--Chris
    engineerk9 likes this.
  11. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
    Hmmm...good eye Chris!
  12. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    Here's a pic of one of these. This is the 35kW model. I didn't see the 43kW version but I'm told that the rise for the cable holder is much shorter. Apparently the 35kW version gives a slower throttle opening rate for the same amount of throttle twist as well as reducing the maximum throttle opening.
    [IMG]

[/quote]
    Nope. My Terra, when new (35kW variant) suffered these issues. It stalled right outside the shop when I bought it. I figured it was just because I wasn't used to the controls on this bike. On the trip home (The long way - 100 miles or so) it stalled another 3 times, both when taking off from a stop and when decellerating with the clutch in. That same day the ECU shit itself and when I got the bike back it had been on the MOSS tool (for diagnostics etc so I assume that when they fitted the new ECU they also loaded the latest maps etc or whatever else "MOSSing" involves. They also replaced the throttle cable holder to power it up to 43kW. (I had one of the very first in the country and the throttle cable holders weren't available in Australia for the first month or so). It still occasionally sputters out when stopped at a red light, and I am always careful to give it enough throttle to get over the flat spot from a 1st gear standing start. I'm hoping the Wuka-king plug will solve those issues as it appears to have for many other riders. Mine was shipped 10 days ago so I'm hoping it arrives in the mail today or tomorrow so I can get it fitted before the weekend.
    alekloy, PaulC and Chuffa like this.
  13. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT
    Thanks for the info Nev, Ive got a LAMs version until the bikes run in
  14. gary6 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    gilera cx125
  15. gary6 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    gilera cx125
    Hello, looking a the picture of the throttle body and the bolts/screws holding in the cable locator, does any body if they bolts/screws have a key or slot on them?
    Do they need to be cut across in order to remove them?
  16. alekloy Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R
    Nope. My Terra, when new (35kW variant) suffered these issues. It stalled right outside the shop when I bought it. I figured it was just because I wasn't used to the controls on this bike. On the trip home (The long way - 100 miles or so) it stalled another 3 times, both when taking off from a stop and when decellerating with the clutch in. That same day the ECU shit itself and when I got the bike back it had been on the MOSS tool (for diagnostics etc so I assume that when they fitted the new ECU they also loaded the latest maps etc or whatever else "MOSSing" involves. They also replaced the throttle cable holder to power it up to 43kW. (I had one of the very first in the country and the throttle cable holders weren't available in Australia for the first month or so). It still occasionally sputters out when stopped at a red light, and I am always careful to give it enough throttle to get over the flat spot from a 1st gear standing start. I'm hoping the Wuka-king plug will solve those issues as it appears to have for many other riders. Mine was shipped 10 days ago so I'm hoping it arrives in the mail today or tomorrow so I can get it fitted before the weekend.[/quote]

Hi Gary
    Do you know if changing just throttle body and throttle cable holder is enough to upgrade tr650 strada from 35kW to 43kW or ECU also needs to be reprogrammed?