This Months AMA magazine

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by robertaccio, Aug 25, 2016.

1. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Has a feature on the late Ron Bishop's Rokon that was donated to the AMA Museum by Café crew member Ron Menchen's family (Nephew of RB)
  2. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Beta 350RR & 1986 430XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1975 Rokon and 2004 Kawasaki KX65
    When I opened my magazine and saw the bike our family donated to the HOF I about crapped myself... NEVER expected it to be in the magazine and really didn't want the credit (it was the whole family).... and they did that bike justice it was dusty and now its a thing of beauty.... I'm sorry but for the day that bike was awesome, auto clutch and dual disc brakes.... Thanks Roberto I think the gear we sent was just as cool.... Skunk Helmet, leather leathers, red white and blue jersey, uvex goggles, crazy duct taped on shin/knee guards, gardening looking gloves and hipoint boots.... ya
  3. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Some notes-

I first met Ron when working on my 510TX aircooled Husky, I spent some cash at RB's shop to get that air hammer dialed in, it was a mess from the previous owner.

Also dealt with the Auto (Husky and Rokon) expert Ron when I was restoring a friends 420 Auto......that's a story. It was abandoned at one my friends rental properties the crankcase was filled with water the bore was somewhat pitted from corrosion and even the ignition was under water. I cleaned everything and dried it out lubed it up, drained the gearbox added the Husky Univis Auto trans oil that Ron got me and the freaking bike started up, and even the gear clutches worked fine. I rode the thing a bunch of times as it was- it needed a bore job at the least!! Anyway It was Ron that guided me on that one.

Not enough times but I did stop in from time to time when up in Escondido to say hey.

Also biggest memory of Ron is from the final check of the 94 Tecate Enduro on my KTM300EXC next to the highway near Testarazo BC Mexico......I was ragged and houred out but still completed the course---mostly because there really wasn't an easy less miles escape route from the Tecate hills!! I came in not even recognizing him, probably not even able to recognize my family at that point!!, but he recognized me and shot the shit for a minute and congratulated me for finishing to ride out the course. That was a great moment that I will never forget. ( I DNFd the next one in 97 as well.)
    Trenchcoat85, Norman Foley and bigjon like this.
  4. rwgregory Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1985 500XC, 1987 510TX, 1990 510WMX
    Other Motorcycles:
    1979 Honda CR250,'88 CR500,'92 XR600
    I remember checking out Ron's Rokon in his shop just a few months before his passing. Remember joking with him about the pull starter it had like a lawnmower and asking if there was a mower attachment offered for it.

Met Ron in the mid 1980's when I got my '87 510TX and bought a fair amount of parts from him over the years. I would also see him at the start area of the Baja 1000 most years that I rode the lead off leg for our team and we would exchange plesentries and wish each other good luck.

I will never forget the morning I saw the obituary write up for Ron in the local newspaper and couldn't believe he was gone. RIP
    robertaccio and Norman Foley like this.
  5. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Beta 350RR & 1986 430XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1975 Rokon and 2004 Kawasaki KX65
    Thanks guys I love the memories....

One of my favorite memories-

My first ride in Baja.... 1985 pre-running for the 1000 on my 250xc... I asked to ride "the whoops"..., my dad didn't want me to hold RB up so just told me to ride until I hit the pavement.... Ron left me but after about 5 minutes I caught back up... He just said damn kid guess you need to ride down here more... The same year I houred out of tecate in a total ball buster.... Barely made it to lunch