Thinking about lowering your bike?

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by robertaccio, Jan 25, 2019.

1. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Consider one of my heros, Gaston Rahier (5 foot 5 inches/ 1.65meter) 2 time world MX Champion and top tier offroad competitor from Europe to Africa to even Baja California. This guy was epic his ego was 10 feet tall as was ability to back it up.
    Gaston Rahier PtoD.jpg
    PS being sponsored by Penthouse magazine was fairly cool as well
  2. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    360CR 360WR SM610 TC450 TXC250 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hondas, Harleys, Yammys & a squid
    Not taking anything away from him, but wasn't his "prime time" (such as the pic above) when seat heights were 4-6 inches lower than they are today?
    Bill502 and WoodsChick like this.
  3. LRM Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2018 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 KTM 350 6Days
    I lowered my TE250. I feel much more in control. I only have a 27" inseam and ride primarily single track in Utah forest. I had to be able to dab in this type of terrain. I did this to my KTM 350 before I bought the Husky, so had it done before I ever rode it.
    WoodsChick likes this.
  4. LRM Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2018 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 KTM 350 6Days
    I lowered my TE250. I feel much more in control. I only have a 27" inseam and ride primarily single track in Utah forest. I had to be able to dab in this type of terrain. I did this to my KTM 350 before I bought the Husky, so had it done before I ever rode it.
  5. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    I met Gaston at a 125 world championship round in 1977. I was 15 and about the same size, though I don't think he was even 5'5"

It was at that event that I first saw this running in the 250 support class

[IMG]

Nobody believed me about that rear suspension until years later when the internet came along and I was able to find pics and prove it

Fortunately I got my growth spurt shortly after that year and shot up to the lanky 5'6" that I am today
    Bill502 likes this.
  6. geastman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ha! I was at that same event, Mosport. I didn't meet Rahier, but I remember him in one section. Downhill, off-camber u-turn, back up. There was the barest rut/berm and he rode it perfectly lap after lap, both feet on the pegs like he was on rails. Made time on everyone there.

Saw lots of heroes of the day for a few years in the seventies with Trans-AMA and GP events at Copetown, GPs at Mosport. Off topic, but my dad got a photo of Heikki Mikola crashing at Copetown. I sent it to Motocross Action and it ran in the March '76 issue.

Heikki crash2.jpg

And I neglected to mention that I was just submitting, that it was Philip Eastman who should have had the photo credit. And the $10 :rolleyes:
    rancher1 likes this.
  7. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    Those were the days!

I remember one crazy weekend when me and my Dad and two of my friends decided last minute to go to a world championship round in St. Gabriel de Brandon Quebec. I was 14 or 15 at the time and had to drive all the way back because everybody else was either too drunk, or still hung over.
    Got to see Roger DeCoster race that weekend.

The club I (still) belong to put on those Copetown events and I ran some of them in the late 70's.
    Those tracks were incredible. Real motocross!
  8. rwgregory Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1985 500XC, 1987 510TX, 1990 510WMX
    Other Motorcycles:
    1979 Honda CR250,'88 CR500,'92 XR600
    I saw Gaston up close and personal in 1985 at the Baja 1000. That was the first of 9 Baja 1000's I competed in and our team was in the same class as Gaston and Eddy Hau's BMW entry. Well, we were in the same class on paper,(riders over 30) but were not even close to the same class talent wise. Gaston and Eddy won Class 30 and were in the top 10 overall and only beat our team by about 12 hours. Yeah, it was a real dog fight of a race between us right up to the time the Starter dropped the green flag to go...
    JonXX and Zomby woof like this.