Thermostat failure

Discussion in 'TR650' started by gscrasher, Nov 23, 2012.

1. gscrasher Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW 1200 GS, Triumph Tiger 800xc
    I took my Terra in for an overheating problem. The dealer diagnosed the problem as
    due to the thermostat. Engine hot, radiator cool, fan OK.

Husky wanted to replace radiator and thermostat as a unit. No part number showing for separate thermostat. My dealer checked BMW parts and found that for them the thermostat is shown as a separate part. This is what they ordered. Comparison of the two thermostats showed them to be the same, so the OEM part was replaced with the BMW part. All seems well.

Husky USA requested picture showing both thermostats and seemed satisfied.
    Kenneth Webb likes this.
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Interesting...
  3. GemSTateSt Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Not good failing in the closed position.The ST1300's always failed in the open position.Most owners thought it was due to the factory coolant.
  4. Thumpa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    CCM Dakar, G650X
    Could you tell a little more about the things your bike exhibited. i.e did the temp gauge just spike? As i also experienced an over heat a while back. The level on the expansion tank was fine, so i returned to the dealership. They discovered the rad was a cup or more low and there was an air lock in the system. It hasn't risen excessively since then, though temps have cooled and little time to ride. But on start up there is a discernible sound that only goes away once thoroughly warmed up. I believe i have also heard or read of others experiencing low radiator fluid levels.
  5. gscrasher Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW 1200 GS, Triumph Tiger 800xc
    I noticed the overheating on a 150 mile ride that included 50 miles of dirt road. The first time that I noticed anything, was half-way into the ride when I stopped to take a picture. Left the bike idling and when I took off I noticed the triangular red light (indicator for hazard switch) was on and the temperature bars full to the right and blinking. Thinking (hoping) that the bike just didn't like idling, I just took off. The red light went out immediately, and the temp moved down, though it may have been a little hotter than usual. This occurred one more
    time when I got back to town at a stop light where I sat for several cycles. Again, once moving and also on the way into the shop the next morning, everything seemed OK.

The head technician said that the system was full of coolant.
  6. Thumpa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    CCM Dakar, G650X
    Sounds pretty similar to my experience. Although relieving the airlock from the system and replenishing the coolant to where is should be seems to of helped. I still have my suspicions about the thermostat being suspect. Might be peace of mind getting it replaced. Thanks again for posting this.
  7. PARTSDUDE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TERRA 650
    I just picked up my new terra this past weekend , did not get much of a chance to ride it yet, the weather turned to crap the day i got it, but it gave me a good chance to go over the bike , i found the coolant level low right from the dealer , the overflow bottle had almost no coolant in it, i had to add almost 9- 10 onces of coolant 50/50 mix, i used bmw coolant , easy to come by. list for around $ 24.oo a gallon. i would highly recommend checking the coolant level on these new bikes , it seems as if they are just barley putting enoung coolant in from the factory.