1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

The world is changing ? Bearing talk upside down

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by GaryM, Jul 11, 2017.

1. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 430cr second 430 CR 500cr
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
    Well its looks like soon we are going to lose supplies from bearing manufacturers.
    The 3205 is soon ending for production from ZKL and SKF at least the double row max
    capacity version.

So been talking to folks.

So been talking to a few folks and a person with great knowledge and test bearings everyday says today with the cost of labor in China and capital improvements in new equipment that going on that the bearings made from China have reached a new level and now may be making some of the best. Why ? just that basic cost is less more is put in product and world market is demanding high quality. Wow can't believe I wrote that.
    So the world may be changing. So made in China by major manufacturer thats, not a knockoff may be great. How would one ever know?

Don't despair looking into the reason why bearing was over engineered for the main bearings. We may not need that bearing. It may have been done by Husky to account for strength in mag bore and allow for any production flaw in the in-line boring.

Sorry this is my geek part of me talking but interesting.
  2. Up-tite Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Have over 400 FAG 3205 bearings in stock genuine German.
    Called risk management running a Chinese bearing NFW.
    Later George
  3. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
    We are not talking about knock offs. We are talking about true new world changes. Now do you know that tons of counter bearing have been
    seized and destroyed last two years mostly in Ca?

Do you one of the highest reported bearing were repackaged FAG bearings with German labels.

Also when you purchased those verify from factory authenticity I do as a matter of fact I have the distributor ship direct from SKF. SKF will pay for shipping for a direct distributor
    86 400 XC likes this.
  4. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    the Chinese can make anything as good as you want it you just gotta be willing to pay for it
    DaveM likes this.
  5. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    I was contracted as a moldmaker only to find all molds are now made in China. I was disappointed in that as I was a very experienced as a toolmaker before becoming an engineer. I lost that job for being too slow. Because I took it upon myself to make sure the assembly functioned after assembly and that would not cut the inspector. I came from the old culture that you never passed in a job that would cut the inspector unless the edge was not required to be knife edge.
    DaveM likes this.
  6. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
    Again just bringing up changes. Like i could not imagine buying a bike years ago from. India. Yes Ktm has its duke lines of bikes being built in India and in future
    adding street Husqvarnas to the production line
  7. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 TE 510, 1982 CR250, 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    70's Triumph , Bultaco , Maico, etc
    Sounds Like you had fun! Some great achievements.
    Show us some pics- I'll post some too.
  8. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
    I looking at having some made up. Removing the any poly cages, having new cages made. Maybe ceramic balls. So far looking
    not bad on price. No bad but more expensive. Been having race and bearing guy look at why husqvarna is using this bearing in first place
    as he has engines with twice the horsepower and 50% more rpm running single row.

if i go back to old day as QC guy, overing engineering this bearing may be a way to reinforece the using of the magnesium cases. Which is not a bad idea
    at all. So in 80s bikes with have two 6205 in left and wide 3205 in right. That right their is a lot of reinforement - lots. Also its a great back up to the production line as the inline boring done at the same time on both sides of cases would also be great idea. I really like it.

Think about that again, big two bearings on right and big wide one piece ( one bearing with two rows of balls) on right. Thats strong !
  9. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
    By the way all this is not for performace. This is all for preserving are Huskies. And preserving our mag cases.

As talking to Kennie Buchanan ( rim and Spoke people ) last year at barber he was very worried about serveral vintage bikes that still used old Magnesium
    hubs. They just cant handle aging and the stress anymore.

But good news on mag cases - the late 70s and early 80s vintage formula 1 cases for tranmissions are holding up well, when cared for. ( lucky to be in Austin tx
    for the old vintage F1 races ) Basically sealing inside and out any exposed mag to air and moisture.

I am just worried once we lose are backlog of good used bikes and cases. You know what I mean
  10. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
    Having that looked at just to have options. I have 3 3205 E C3 here to use. Max capacity SKF made by
    MRC for SKF in Ohio. This is is the one that is disappearing off bearing distribitors order list.

But just like the Uptite owner guy many 3205 are in shops and warehouses there for us to install.
  11. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    When the owner of the 250CR ordered his crank bearings from Phillip, he he was supposed to get 2 narrow bearings for the left but he was sent (2) 3205 bearing to use for both right and left. There were 5205 in both cases so I know it is the same requirement in each case. The point was that Phillip has 2 narrow bearing to be used in the left case so I was surprised he ended up with 3205 for both
  12. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    what do you mean when you say static balance? measure and eliminate runout?
  13. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    WELL POOP [ BUT HAY IM WORKIN ON IT ] SO WER TALKIN BEARING ! WHO KNOWS THE NUMBER FOR THAT LITTLE CAGED NEEDLE JOB THE KICK START GEAR SPINS ON THE LITTLE S.OB. WENT AWOL ON ME
    Big Timmy likes this.
  14. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    hello is this thing on??
    :excuseme:
    Big Timmy likes this.
  15. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    :naughty: Quit tearing stuff up Troy.
  16. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    WELL DAMN IT SHIT HAPPENS
    Big Timmy likes this.
  17. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    ha never mind i found it. gotta love daylight:thumbsup:
    Big Timmy likes this.
  18. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
    Just is case here is the number. K16x20x10 this is the INA number.
    I have seen additional letter in front with other manufacters.

I have big boxes of them if need two. Replace them often.
    Big Timmy and husqyhamm like this.
  19. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    WELL THE CLUTCH SIDE IS ALL BUTTONED UP NEW SEAL AND O-RING IN THE W/P AND THE CARBS BACK ON IT NOW FOR SOME WIRING:thumbsup:
    Big Timmy likes this.
  20. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Properly constructed there would be no runout in the crank. I do recall that making the crank cheek diameters concentric to the stub ends eliminated much of the vibration in a 400WR LC. After that there was no reason to add balance holes. The con rod for the 1987 430 is lighter than previous to minimize vibration.