The iBeat Thread

Discussion in '610/630' started by DYNOBOB, Aug 16, 2014.

1. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Personally I don't think that'll have much to do with it, but don't mean to answer for WickedWill. I chime in, though, because I'm in the same boat as Will with my 630 and iBeat v2- it stays greyed out for me too. This issue has been touched upon in several threads but never resolved.

As crazy as it sounds iBeat is one of my main considerations when I'm weighing the pros and cons of keeping the 630 longer term (which I'd really like to do- love the bike.) The program is antiquated as hell, quirky, and only runs on a 32 bit. I have an old 32, but it's beat to hell and not inclined to last, and then I'll be back into the headache of trying to find a decent old machine (easier said than done), then the troubles of trying to load it again, and then back to using it (and again it's just not a great program nor user friendly.) Not here to beat up on it- again I love the bike a great deal- it's just that iBeat kind of sucks.

Oh- and Bob- please don't get me wrong... Your efforts, experience, feedback and advice on iBeat are Hugely appreciated and tremendously valued. You've helped us all a great deal.
    DYNOBOB likes this.
  2. Gavin Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Sm610
    Sorry Dynobob. I do not fully understand that.

Please correct me if my understanding is incorrect.
    My understand is:
    1) The original TPS is set at 950mV (let say 0.1degree opening).
    2) The ECU will take the position at 950mV to be the "throttle fully close" position. And supply X amount of fuel.
    3) So now, I turn the hard stop screw to increase the throttle opening (let say 0.5degree) and set it with ibeat. The new registered value is 1000mV.
    4) By doing this, the ECU now know that 1000mV is the current "throttle fully closed" and therefore supply the same X amount of fuel.
    5) So now the ECU is supplying same amount of fuel at 0.5degree throttle opening(more air). Doesn't this means leaner mixture?
  3. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    I think the answer is: The amount you can change the idle stop and throttle blade opening is relatively tiny if you still want the bike to idle correctly, so the amount you're shifting the fuel table is of little consequence.

4. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:

My suspicion is the problem is not iBeat, I bet it is seeing some condition that locks out the CO setting. I'd like to get my hands on one that's doing this... (be careful what you wish for, right?)
    I'll toss out some questions:
    - Could it be a defective PU plug?
    - Factory or homebrew PU plug?
    - I'd be curious what voltage value your O2 sensor circuit is returning to the ecu..?
    - One of you tried plugging the O2 back in, did you actually have it screwed back in the exhaust (grounded)?
    - TE vs. SMS ecu?
    - Original ecu that came on bike?
    - Could it be a regional issue - do some countries forbid this adjustment?
    - Running a Vapor dash?
    - Do all your sensors work? Speedo? Fuel level?
    - Were any of you able to adjust CO previously?
    - Any history of TPS problems?

Just looking for commonalities...

5. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Thanks Bob- appreciate you giving this thought. Here's the answers, on mine, that I can provide at this time:

-Could it be a defective PU plug?
    Not sure. Bike runs well and I've no clue what the symptoms of a bad PU plug would be. Apologies for my ignorance on this one.

- Factory or homebrew PU plug?
    Factory- done by dealer prior to me picking up the bike, new.

- I'd be curious what voltage value your O2 sensor circuit is returning to the ecu?
    Not sure how to test this, but willing to try....if given detailed instructions (perhaps in shop manual?)

- One of you tried plugging the O2 back in, did you actually have it screwed back in the exhaust (grounded)?
    I've not tried this. Shoot, to be honest, I'd be afraid to wrench the old plug out (for fear of breaking the bung hole weld.)

- TE vs. SMS ecu?
    Mine's a TE with its original ecu.

- Original ecu that came on bike?
    Yep.

- Could it be a regional issue - do some countries forbid this adjustment?
    I'm here in the U.S.

- Running a Vapor dash?
    Stock dash.

- Do all your sensors work? Speedo? Fuel level?
    I've no reason to believe any don't - all seem to work just fine.

- Were any of you able to adjust CO previously?
    Sounds crazy but I don't recall with 100% certainty, but I don't think I ever have been able to.

- Any history of TPS problems?
    Not on mine- same original TPS still on it.

I haven't hooked up iBeat for some time- other than last February when I re-installed the re-assembled engine and had to set the TPS prior to it's first start. That was all I did (re-set TPS) as I recall seeing the CO greyed out and thinking "ah sh*t...right...that issue..." and didn't look into it further. Other than being a bit sluggish on cold starts it runs great, though I usually only get about 38 mpg at most (but, then again, I'm not easy on the throttle.)

If I can I'll hook it up again this weekend to see what I can see. Thanks again man!
  6. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
    No codes stored.What i do have is a higher restiance pu plug that came with my bazzaz,which i thought was the problem,however with o2 sensor plugged in there is still no adjustments
  7. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
    Yes i have had 3 different tps inuts on this bike.
    Yes i was able to adjust co once before
    Its not ibeat as i have had Stu's bike plugged into it and it worked.
    When i get more time i will go thru Bob's list one by one and check off
  8. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    I fried my bike once- it was a short very close to the voltage regulator, followed by me f'ing up with a bone headed jump start (hooked cables up wrong and popped the main fuse.) Do you think this may have fried my PU plug? If so, where can I get a new one to try?
  9. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Was the O2 screwed in the bung?
  10. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
    No.It was resting against it.Thats how i got it up to 107 originally i think.Also the settings could be changed with pu originally,then i put in bazzaz pu with the piggyback.I have another resistor to test and will also try earthing o2 sensor.
  11. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    As a reference for you guys, my factory PU plug measures 2180 ohms (2.18 kohm).

WickedWill likes this.
  12. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
    Good news.This is the order i did things and got back CO adjustment.First i plugged the o2 sensor back in and earthed it.I could then do CO.Tried a 2200 resistor and could adjust CO.Then the bazzaz pu plug which is 9960ohm and could also change CO.FB and 02 are still greyed out.Until i went in those steps the 2200 resistor had no adjustment as did the bazzaz pu plug.
    Weird
  13. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Thanks Will- this is good news. Thanks in advance for you patience w/ the dumb questions- I'm a dolt when it comes to electronics...

What exactly do you mean by "earthing the o2 sensor? I'm assuming grounding it, of course, but curious as to exactly what you did.

Also (and this is thick)- where, exactly is the PU plug/resistor? My "PU kit" was done by the dealer, so have never really given it thought.

Thanks again- hoping this info will get me on track to get my CO away from being greyed out.
  14. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Will may have figured out the mystery. Someone else should try installing the o2 sensor and see if that resets things. My guess would be the ecu doesn't like the 10k ohm Bazzaz plug, that seems quite a difference from the stock PU. But I'd think Bazzaz has determined that this value also forces the ecu onto the "open loop" map (same as the PU plug does) and they are adjusting fueling from that known map. Next time I have my Safari tank up I'll check my Dynojet plug resistor.

Yes Eric, earthed=grounded, sensor screwed in port or touching securely.

15. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
    I just connected a set of jumper leads from the o2 sensor to the pipe.
    Pu is under tank i didn't take any pics sorry,google will find it same as the the 610
  16. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Thanks guys- I'll look into it more closely.
  17. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
    A bit more info
    it's gone back to this back to this
    With the bazzaz 10k resistor in it highlights FB & 02 not CO
    FB is still stuck on 107 100 100 NON ACTIVITY 100% this cannot be adjusted
    With 2200 ohm resistor it highlights CO only and adjustment can be made
    With 02 sensor it highlights FB & 02 and same screen as bazzaz
    I am guessing that the bazzaz resistor mimics the 02 sensor.
    Tempted to try the normal 2200ohm pu resistor with the bazzaz,might email bazzaz and see if this is the norm.
  18. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
    Eric had the tank up and here is the pu 20151212_161344.jpg
  19. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Will, This is my under standing of how the FB function works: It gives the ability to offset the feedback value coming from a functioning O2 sensor while the bike is in "closed loop" operation. This becomes irrelevant when we lock the bike in "open loop" mode using a PU plug. So I'd forget about FB not being highlighted, no O2 sensor = no FB. I'm no expert on Bazzaz, but I think it's basically a Power Commander. I know that when Dynojet built maps for our bike they were starting from a baseline of the "open loop" map in the ecu and modifying those values. CO should be set at 100/100/100 for Dynojet's overlay maps to be valid. I'd assume Bazzaz to be the same, but again, I know little about Bazzaz.

I do feel safe saying you could put in a 2200 resistor and set CO to 100/105/118 and have a good running bike without any piggyback tuner.
  20. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    I never noticed this before, but my version of the iBeat manual doesn't even show/talk about the CO or O2 settings. Does anyone have a iBeat manual that does?