1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Austria - About 2014 & Newer
    TE = 2st Enduro & TC = 2st Cross

TE/TC Testing comp and leak down

Discussion in '2st' started by HS507, Mar 6, 2017.

1. HS507 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Te 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yz450,crf150r,crf100f,crf50f
    Can a leak down test kit do compression too, or are they usually 2 different kits? Also approx how many hours on motor is leak down tested? I take it it means testing main seal?
  2. arbortodd Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 xc250
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 Rupp RMX 125
    Just bought my first Husky, a 1983 XC 250. Performed a leak down test to check for air leaks around the main seals, intake and base gasket. I usually perform this test on any older 2 strokes I have bought to determine the amount of engine work required I.E. Whether or not Crank seals need replacing. About 8 psi is all that is needed for this test. A hand pressure/vacuum pump available at most auto parts stores and a bottle of soapy water sprayed on the engine can help find the source of any air leakage.

In addition, I will also perform a compression test to determine if top end parts are worn. In order for a 2 stroke engine to start, it should have a minimum of 100 psi compression but that low would indicate a top end rebuild is needed. The 83 XC only had 110 psi so I am figuring on rings at a minimum. 150 psi is considered good compression on the 125 Sachs engined machines I am used to. You will need a compression test gauge for accurate results. Husky guys please chime in.....as I am new to this forum and the Husqvarna brand.
  3. HS507 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Te 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sach engined types? Are you referring to the original european 2stroke engine design? Like a historical referrence?
  4. arbortodd Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 xc250
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 Rupp RMX 125
    Sachs as in the German made 2 strokes found on Penton, Monark, Rupp, etc. mostly 125cc and 5/6 speed gearboxes.
  5. HS507 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Te 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Oh i meant modern ktm/huskies