Test Ride Sunday 01/28/18

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by Dirtdame, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Welp...the 125 pooped out on New Years day, and I finally got a hold of an ignition on Saturday, so I bolted it in place on the little WR on Sunday morning and took the bike out for a test ride.
    Santa Ana winds blew fiercely out in the east county, and the temperature was quite warm, as it often is during this sort of weather event....but wind gusts can get quite strong. So you have to be careful, or get risk getting knocked down. Strongest gust was clocked at 89 mph. Pretty sure I experienced that one.

I was making the fire road loop at speed with the machine, and all was going splendidly. I decided to make a stop at a paved helicopter pad on the peak of one of the mountains. It would be a nice spot to get a panoramic view of the valley below, and grab a sip of water....or so I thought. I parked with my back to the wind and had sat on my bike with both feet firmly planted on the tarmac. I had my water bottle in one hand and had tipped it up for a swig. Just at that point a violent gust slammed into me from the side and I was on the blacktop before I could even react. Bruised the heel of my palm on my left hand. I picked the bike up and wisely rolled it down below the top of the peak. Phooey on this wind. I decided to duck into the first sheltered canyon that I knew had some single track and ride that stuff.

I could see that not many people had been riding those trails, and I hadn't even been on any of them in 5 years. They were all sort of faint, washed out and overgrown....but still comfortably familiar to me. I knew where I was going, through the tangled mazes...at least until the end, where the trail gave out. But I knew the main route was just yards away, so I parked the bike and scouted the path back to the beaten path.
    The little bike, performed well, never missed a beat, and was my faithful friend in the tight, rocky stuff.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpsXumkOA1w

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqcokD9adTY
    pvduke, Huskynoobee, PaulD and 2 others like this.
  2. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    you need a hug after getting blown off the ridge.....yes im volunteering mreeep mreeep
    Dirtdame likes this.
  3. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    :love:
    pvduke likes this.
  4. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    The trails do look pretty deserted DD. Do you have a spot tracker when you are riding on your own?
    Once again thanks for being about the only contributor to the ride video section and as always, most enjoyable.
    Many thanks.
    pvduke, robertaccio and Dirtdame like this.
  5. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    You are welcome. I have a satphone that I take with me. Surprisingly, the cell phone often gets good reception out in some of those places. Somebody gave me a Spot, but i haven't subscribed to any service for it.
  6. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    the cave man is workin' on helpin this sich out....im tech challenged, big time...i ordered the wrong SD card (big instead of micro!) oops!....after not knowing the cam needed one lol. yeh...so there's that. lol. will be postin some stuff soon...

20180128_195118.jpg

20180128_204133.jpg

20180128_204002.jpg
    Dirtdame likes this.
  7. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    I would suggest some sort of tether for when the camera gets knocked off. I use 50lb test mono filament fishing line.
  8. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    this one came with a little cable with looped ends. this one is strapped on with the bayonet clip base. gona use the cable too. its a chicom knockoff so...well see. mreeep mreep!
  9. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Chicom...thats one I have not heard in like forever.
  10. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    i say that cuz i caint pronounce Zhongdhui Xizntalu lol
    Huskynoobee likes this.