Terra OEM Air Filter

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Rapid Dog, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Rapid Dog Husqvarna
    AA Class

Not talking about a pod mod or anything else here...I'm trying to find the cross reference number for the stock air filetr #8539189.
    Is the G650GS and/or Sertao oem filter the same?
  2. Next Strada Demolitionist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    According to K&N these are the cross-referenced air filters.
    I used the K&N airfilter for 2-3 years without issue, prior to completing a pod mod.

2011 BMW G650 XCHALLENGE 650 - All
    2010 BMW G650 XMOTO 650 - All
    2010 BMW G650 XCOUNTRY 650 - All
    2010 BMW G650 XCHALLENGE 650 - All
    2009 BMW G650 XMOTO 650 - All
    2009 BMW G650 XCOUNTRY 650 - All
    2009 BMW G650 XCHALLENGE 650 - All
    2008 BMW G650 XMOTO 650 - All
    2008 BMW G650 XCOUNTRY 650 - All
    2008 BMW G650 XCHALLENGE 650 - All
    2007 BMW G650 XMOTO 650 - All
    2007 BMW G650 XCOUNTRY 650 - All
    2007 BMW G650 XCHALLENGE 650 - All
    2005 BMW F650CS ABS 652 - All
    2005 BMW F650CS 652 - All
    2004 BMW F650CS ABS 652 - All
    2004 BMW F650CS 652 - All
    2003 BMW F650CS ABS 652 - All
    2003 BMW F650CS 652 - All
    2002 BMW F650CS 652 - All
    2001 BMW F650CS 652 - All
  3. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    no, the XCountry/XChallenge filter is. The HiFlo HFA7602 is a cheap alternative if you want to stick to the stock setup.
  4. Rapid Dog Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks guys. Yes found the HiFlo HFA7602 info.
  5. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 450 XC-W '11 BMW R1200GS
    Just an FYI. This is what the inside of my engine looks like after being stubborn and using the stock filter. What your looking at is the top of the piston with carbon an oil deposits on it caused by dust blowing by the stock filter, through my throttle body, down the intake past my intake valves, into the combustion chamber, and working like sanding grit on my cylinder walls to ultimately take out my piston rings....all bad. The pod mod only costs $30....just sayin.

IMG_1991.JPG
  6. Next Strada Demolitionist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Yeah, I just cleaned my Pod Mod filter today, replaced brakes, oil and other spring maintenance. It's a bit of a pain to clean the podmod, but it only has to be done once a year. The throttle body was pristine when I opened her up today. That said, after 8,000 with a K&N the throttle body had only a little dust on it, and we ride some dirty stuff. I'm also usually stuck at the back choking on dust.
    FabOneUp and LED like this.
  7. Rapid Dog Husqvarna
    AA Class

Has anyone here tried to remove the airbox top without cutting it in half?
    I'd like to take a peek inside without hacking up the bike.
    From what I understand, if the filter isn't seated, yes, dust gets by the filter. I get that.
    The other issue is dust coming up through the boot at the throttle body, same as on an X-Challenge.
    Pretty much seems that could be sealed better if you could get to it by removing the top of the airbox.
    Just my thought...
  8. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    The leaks are even more than such, but yes, you can remove the top by splitting the frame and tilting the fuel fill up. Be careful with the fuel injector hose, it will break the fuel rail (plastic nipple).

When you have the box apart, you can modify it it in 2 problem areas. One is the air dam above the filter area that seals the intake horn from the main box, by the cc vent filter. You need to add a gasket there. Be careful, if it comes loose, it is going into your engine. You also need to add part of a flange to the top of the air filter mating surface. Then, seal the full perimeter well with a new gasket, and tape the outside.

I do not know of the intake horn fix. If you put a heavy tank bag on, it can warp the airbox. Best is just to add the pod mod and be done.
    FabOneUp likes this.
  9. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 450 XC-W '11 BMW R1200GS
    This is a funny statement to me because I never think twice about putting my bike under the knife. :D And truthfully, I would never buy a Terra that did not have the pod mod installed early in its life.....a Strada, maybe, if I knew it was a street queen.

If you have or can get access to a bore scope, you might be able to remove all the accessible bolts for the air box cover and carefully pry it up enough to slip the camera in.
    PaulC likes this.
  10. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Remove the AIT sensor and go in there. Might have to tape the camera to a coat hanger. :cheers:
    FabOneUp likes this.
  11. FER QUILES Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLE500, HONDA NX650
    HEY I have a problem to replace the OEM air filter, somebody knows where we can buy it by internet? m y mechanic says BMW 650 challenge is small to fit it on TErra.
  12. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
  13. FER QUILES Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLE500, HONDA NX650
    this filter HFA 7602 fix exactly on Terra airbox?. did you have it working?. then i don´t understand why my mechanic say the terra filter is bigger than BMW gs 650. Thanks a lot
  14. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    i have used the HFA7602 in my Terra and it is exactly the same size as the stock filter.
    The G650GS indeed has a different air filter. The G650X has the same filter as the Terra.
  15. FER QUILES Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLE500, HONDA NX650
    ok tomorrow i look forward to tell him about it. many thanks. my terra is out of order, foollish.
  16. FER QUILES Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLE500, HONDA NX650
    FINALLY WAS A QUESTION of air filter and sensors . every thing has changed.. Terra is on again.
  17. FER QUILES Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLE500, HONDA NX650
    thanks to everybody for the advise in order to OEM filter to fit terra.
  18. bogwheel Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650?
    Other Motorcycles:
    Bultacos
    Just cut open my Terra air box to do the Pod mod, and not one speck of dirt or dust and throttle body was clean and shiny.:(
    Now know what MotoGC was talking about when he said I didn't need to do it because a lot of the bikes they sold had the top and bottom air box sealed and used the foam uni filter.
    Think I will get a new air box and throttle body rubber and go back to how it was designed.
    Mark_H likes this.
  19. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    What action you take should more be in regards to how and where you ride vs what somebody else did.

My Strada had nearly 20k miles on it, road miles for commuting and was fairly clean. But I drive the dirt and the stock setup, no matter what anybody says, is not gonna work. This has been discussed, and proven at length many times. So depending on your intentions of use will determine what setup you can "get away with". If you use the stock filter setup, at least put grease on the filter flange and run a snorkel pre filter.

If you are going to drive the dirt (dusty roads), the pod mod is the best fix.
  20. hendo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW 90/6
    I don't believe in cutting up the air box when It can be sealed very easy
    From new I sealed my air box, rubber seal to the throttle body and air senses with a heavy rubber grease. I made a upper flang where the air cleaner was to seal against (l use a Uni filter). Then I sealed the snorkel opening to the cover panel with closed cell foam and made a oiled fome per cleaner.
    I have just carried out a 19,000k service and pulled the air box apart to inspect, NO dust to be seen and I travel 70 percent dirt, I live in country Western Australia.
    The bike is great and does a fantastic job.
    Cheers
    Hendo
    Mark_H likes this.