Tear down or not to tear down; That is the question?

Discussion in 'Older Single cams' started by RickyDZero, May 16, 2017.

1. RickyDZero Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2020 Tx 300 i and 2015 Fc 250
    I have a 1991 Te 610 barn find. The poor thing has been neglected and left out in the cold so I got it cheap. Of course it didn't start so I took it apart had the valves done, rings were good. Needed a new wrist pin, but other than that everything inside ok. When I changed the oil I found a big chunk of metal on the magnet that is foreign to the bike. My guess someone dropped it in there on assembly and did not bother to find it. I flushed the engine as best I could and found no further chunks. So I decided to start it up. After fixing the choke my friend and I got it started. The valves were a little loose so we adjusted them to spec but bike still has a slight rattle from the engine. I here these bikes rattle anyway. Question? should I run it a little or just tear it down.
  2. photoguy_43420 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 Husqvarna's from 1973-2001
    Other Motorcycles:
    73 Norton Commando 850
    You should check the timing chain tensioner. You will need to count the notches. George from Uptite is a pro on these motors. You can ask him.
    RickyDZero likes this.
  3. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Those motors do have a bit of noise.
    DaveM and RickyDZero like this.
  4. RickyDZero Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Thanks for replies guys. Honestly the bike has got me a little frustrated. The last time we started it. It took 15 to 20 kicks to get it started. In those tries it back fired through the exhaust twice before it finally started and when you turned the bike off, it refused to start again. Oh yea it started smoking a little when trying to adjust the carb. I think I will walk away for a day or 2 before trying again.
  5. photoguy_43420 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 Husqvarna's from 1973-2001
    Other Motorcycles:
    73 Norton Commando 850
    This is what I do to start my 410. I put the choke on kick it 5 times to prime it. Do not touch the throttle. Find TDC give it a good kick and it will go. If not hold the compression release and kick it a threw a few more times. Then go back to the five kicks then TDC. After warm first kick.
  6. RickyDZero Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Hey guys update on the 1991 610. So I broke down and took my bike into the Moto center here in Yakima. The owners pretty good with older Husky's. So I let him have a shot at the bike and this is what he found. The float level on the carb was way too lean. It had a 70 main jet instead of the stock 62. The starter/ choke jet was not there at all. He put in the stock 60. I think the other jet he looked at was the needle jet (190) instead of the stock 170. He said it was a wonder we got this bike to start at all. Needles to say after he replace carb with correct jetting the bike started right up and even started right back up when warmed up. NICE!! The bike is a little nosier than normal. It is either timing chain or valve adjustment or both. The $50 I spent on him to look at it was well worth it.
    DaveM likes this.
  7. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Good move on that !
    RickyDZero likes this.
  8. DaveM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2001 TE 570
    Other Motorcycles:
    Motorised Bicycle
    Some pics would be good!