TE630 Tank Cover Screw Spinning

Discussion in '610/630' started by Eoin, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Eoin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630, TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Africa Twin AS
    One of the tank cover captive nuts (rear / top / right) spins when I try and undo the screw. I did try when the weather was really cold and there was no improvement. what is the best way to deal with this? If I just grind the head off the screw, I'm still going to be left with the stub in the captive nut.
  2. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    There’s lots on this...try a search. Here’s one thread:

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/air-box-bolts-spinning.83708/#post-574424

The good news is that yours is an easy to get to spot. I had one of these happen last week, on tank. As it spun I could feel a “tight spot” and simply queued up to that and then gave the wrench a sudden/snap twist. Tried that several times and the threads broke loose and the bolt came out. Whew.

Given where it’s at I may try drilling a tiny/shallow hole so that half of the hole is on the edge of the insert and the other half the plastic, then fill with epoxy (or use a tiny/short piece of rod that fits that hole and forms a key to hold it from spinning.)
    Eoin likes this.
  3. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Might also try your drill w/ socket on end and spin the sucker fast until the insert is free enough to come out w/ bolt, then re-affix w/ epoxy or something.
    Eoin likes this.
  4. Eoin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630, TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Africa Twin AS
    I've done the air box already. It's a good idea to get at the nut by removing part of the screw head, I'll try and cut off part of the head and see if I can get some epoxy in the spinning nut.
  5. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Yes, it’s the same issue/configuration on the tank and airbox. If it were me I’d try the drill idea: put a socket in the chuck then spin it out fast. It’ll either break loose or spin the insert free and out (and then you can epoxy it in, or affix as to your preference.)