Te630 - Exhaust Sytem Very Hot?

Discussion in '610/630' started by ede356, Mar 14, 2019.

1. ede356 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    HP2 (2x); R1200GS; LC4; XT500; XT600
    Hello Folks,

About 6 months ago I bought a TE630 with approx. 6k miles.
    The bike is fun to ride on the road as well as on dirt.
    But there is one thing that I absolutely don't like:
    The exhaust system including the silencers with the heat shields are getting very, very hot and if you don't pay attention you get burned.
    I've been riding all kind of motorcycles since more than 35 years. But I have never had a bike that created that much heat.

What could cause that excessive heat?
    Has anybody the same problem?
    Is there a solution (Adjustments? Other Exhaust system? Modification of the existing exhaust, etc.) ?

I once landed on the exhaust pipes of a Husaberg.:eek:
    I still have the branding on my bud cheeks and don't what to experience melted plastic on and in my skin again.;)
  2. mekanik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    The original exhaust is very hot. Melted luggage straps I had. It is the catalytic converters that creat all the heat. I replace the entire system to a single sided muffler. Normal heat now.
  3. ede356 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    HP2 (2x); R1200GS; LC4; XT500; XT600
    Mekanik,
    Thank you for your feedback.:thumbsup:

Can you give me a little bit more information about the replacement exhaust?
    Is it just the muffler or do you also have to exchange the exhaust pipes?
    What brand is it? Or where can I get it?
    Does it change the performance (less or more power)?

BTW: The previous owner of my bike must have had blue straps - as far as I can see it.:)
  4. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    I could easily be wrong but I don't think the major suppliers for a single mid-pipe and can are making them for our bikes anymore. Those were Leo Vince and FMF. Both utilize the stock head pipes.

Some preferred removing the catalytic converters- some because they liked the look of the dual cans and some, I'm assuming, for cost. Here's a link to that thread:

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/my-take-on-converting-630-cans-to-flow-throughs.19706/

If going for a single can you need the mid-pipe, as that is larger in diameter and allows more flow. The mid-pipe should be easy for an exhaust shop to fabricate, and then you can choose a can (would also be easy to do a band mount to mate up to the existing sub-frame mounting point.) You could also keep an eye out for a used set-up to go up for sale.
  5. mjskier Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 KTM 990 SMT
    The heat is because the mufflers have catalytic converters in them. These need to be at a certain temperature to operate correctly, so the mufflers get hot by design. Same deal on my KTM 990 SMT.
    I found a 2 into one FMF Powercore 4 for my TE 630 a while ago, and even then it was real hard to find (most places had the 2 muffler system)

[IMG]
  6. Eoin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630, TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Africa Twin AS
    You can get Arrow end cans that replace the OEM and eliminate the cats / reduce weight as well. Mine were fitted without the DB killers and were way too loud. I had some simple DB killers made and welded in, which reduces the noise considerably. Look at the ibeat thread - the Arrow cans free up the exhaust and if you get the power up kit, you can tune with the ibeat software.
  7. mekanik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    I bought the the full Titanium kit from Leo Vince, shaved off 17lbs as well.