TE610 head gasket

Discussion in '610/630' started by coryv, May 19, 2019.

1. coryv Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te610
    I replaced the head gasket on my 610 this winter. Rode it on a few short trips around the area and gasket seemed fine. i changed the oil the other day, took it out and when i stopped to take a look, there seemed to be some glistening on the gasket from right under the exhaust port next to the cam chain. There was also moisture on the gasket(wet to touch, no drops) around the cam chain chain side.
    I pulled apart the top and retourqed but still very small amounts of moisture on gasket. There is no visible sign on the cam chain side or back of engine, just the glistening under the headers when run for a while. It seems strange too that the moisture would be on the cam chain side.
    I also had the valves replaced when i had the head. When i had the carb off the other day i saw some carbon build up on back of valve and there was small amounts of oil on valves. From what ive read its most likely oil mist from intake. Im curious if I somehow have a head gasket leak thats going into the camchain area and pressurizing the system. causing what would signs of this be?
    My plan is to ride the bike and keep an eye on coolant level and oil. I may try re torquing one more time
  2. mcnut Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    16 Beta RS500, DR650, Tiger 800, CBX
    Why was the head gasket replaced? OEM gasket?
    If reoccurring problem from same area you may need to surface the head & cylinder. I believe a very slight wicking dampness is not unheard of as long as it does not lead to fluides mixing or dribbles down the cylinder.

Bruce
  3. coryv Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te610
    Thanks Bruce. The head gasket was replaced at Bills in Salem after the previous owner overheated it and blew. I bought it about 300 miles later and it was barley driping coolant after it was hot, maybe one or 2 green drops would accumulate after shut off. When i replaced it i had the valves redone and surface checked. The gasket i replaced looked good according the shop so they where not sure why it was leaking. Good to know that the small amount of wicking is not unheard of on the fiber gasket. No smoke in exhaust, no coolant in oil. Seems to run good. Ill just keep an eye on it.
  4. Eoin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630, TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Africa Twin AS
    Overheating could cause the head to warp, leading to gasket failure. Or gasket failure could lead to overheating and cause the head to warp. In any case, if replacing a head gasket after failure combined with overheating, the head should be checked for flatness.
  5. coryv Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te610
    So i did a leak down test and head gasket to coolant held, but there was some air coming from crank case drain plug as well as both intake valves where leaking along with one exhaust valve. The intakes had some carbon build up on them after only 150 miles of riding after replacement and before i did the test i i ran the bike with the breather tube pulled off the intake and some white smoke or oil mist was coming out, more on throttle. Im thinking my rings are bad (i lined them up per spec when i put the top end back together) and maybe pushed to much oil into the intake and the carbon build is holding the valves open? valve lash is in spec. anyway to get the valves clean without pulling head. Any input is appreciated.
  6. coryv Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te610
    I took the head to the shop. the front stud had started to pull out from the head so he is going to time sert or helicoil that. There is not much room but he says he can do it. Also, is it advisable to replace all the studs when having motor apart do to stretching? This is the second time ive had this thing apart and i know it was apart right before i got it.