1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

TE511 Torque Limiter

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by mlorenzini, Nov 11, 2015.

1. mlorenzini Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    '98 Ducati CR, '12 VStrom650, KLR650
    Anybody know if I can use the torque limiter from the 2008-2010 BMW G450X in my TE511? The BMW part is $60 cheaper. Also, would like to know what, if any, differences in these parts. Thanks!
  2. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    I think it's been done. If you don't get a reply here, you might ask Big Timmy.
  3. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    It is the same part. Exactly. What is the price you were given? If you have the holding fixture or a 3 jaw chuck and the proper socket that grabs the smaller gear the only difference would be one from another in the release point with a Newton meter torque reading. You don't want to do that though. Each one is different. Last time I checked "Bike Bandit" had listings for both the "A" and "B" series TL's and they were about 10 or 15 bucks more for the later "B" series updated version. They are each marked or laser etched with the breakaway point. Probably be about 237 NM marked on the "B" unit. Plug it in and ride.

Bike Bandit listing below: As of right now.

Description BikeBandit
    Part # Qty Retail
    Price Our Price
    4A:
    IDLER
    (Z=20/36) 2691676 $169.19 $153.81

4B:
    Idler
    (Z=20/36) 2720284 $188.35 $171.23
    duggoey likes this.
  4. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Thought so, but knew for sure you'd have the correct answer.
  5. mlorenzini Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Those prices are still the same at BB. Damn. I already ordered it from the local BMW dealer for the same price as the "B" (though I have no idea if that's the one I ordered). Plus I have to pay about $12 in sales tax. Wish I would've gotten our message sooner. The BMW part number I ordered was 11277728517. Any idea if that's the B version?
  6. mlorenzini Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
  7. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sorry, I don't keep track of the BMW part numbers, Or cross reference them much anymore.

If I need more parts, I do the "Bike Bandit" Thing.

We have people over on the "BMW G450 Riders Forum and Registry" that do keep track of the cross reference Numbers though, from all over the planet, trust me.

I am the "Forum Moderator" of the "G450 sections, G450 Classifieds and Husky Talk", over there and we can find just about anything your engine would need. Including complete ready to go crate engines.
    mlorenzini likes this.
  8. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I got it to pull up the first and the last numbers by changing the model years on that website between 2008, 2009 & 2010 but could not get the middle number to come up at all. Price was the same on both, They don't even know what they got?

If the etched marking number is under 230 NM its probably an older "A" unit, but just run it. Look, its a consumable wear item. Just like gloves, plastics, helmets and riding gear. It wears out quicker the harder you beat it, so don't worry about it. It's in there for a reason, so it protects and minimizes damage and doesn't break the transmission gears. It is what it is.

Check the bearing in the inner case too. Just replace it with a new one and remove the orange/red colored rubber seals to expose the rollers, so it will get more oil lubrication. The outer bearing comes already mounted on the TL so it's not needed to be purchased.
  9. mlorenzini Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hmmm... I only ordered the TL. Remove seals? Really?
  10. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    You can do it or not do it. I'm not going to force you to do anything. I'm only suggesting to check that bearing while you are in there and replace it while you are in there. Here's why I pick out the seal.

I have an early BMW inner case torque limiter bearing in the box that has no seals. It came that way. All the later Husky engines have the seals. When its in the case this happens to be the smallest diameter shaft bearing in there and it's sealed from getting additional lubrication, "stupid". Think about that bearing and it's small diameter, add in the engines RPM while its spinning in the engines cases and think about taking a single ball bearing out of the race of that bearing and rolling it across the floor and measuring how many feet per second it travels? Do you want to calculate that out how many miles per minute perhaps? With limited lubrication (sealed) or with unimpeded lubrication. Think about that !!

SAM_1403.JPG SAM_1405.JPG SAM_1406.JPG SAM_1411.JPG
    Here's a picture of my new early BMW inner TL bearing, It's slipped onto a new TL which is an "A" unit which is etched 227NM. This a new one, which is out of the package so you can see the other (outer) side that already has the bearing installed when you buy the TL. I have the bag somewhere and the box for the bearing. I've pictured it before on here on this same issue. That issue was? To remove or not to remove the seal. The size is. 35x17x10, BMW part number # 11277707171 I think they are all sealed now from Husky or BMW. Part/Item number #4 in the BMW drawing. From http://parts.bmwmotorcycles.com the sight you bought the TL from. Above.

They even show the bearing in the parts picture without a seal. Take a look. I have picked mine out deliberately when I have replaced the bearing and my Original BMW bearing had no seal in it either.

Getting my FAA A&P License many years ago and Building Turbine engines and APUs for aircraft. One of those requirements was taught to us to actually calculate the travel speed in feet per second of single rollers out of a caged roller bearing. First by measuring the diameter of the individual balls diameter in that bearing and with consideration of the inner race it was rolling around. The numbers were astounding.

For instance a Garrett Turbine TPE 331 series engine spins at 41,230 RPM at 100%. Think about it. That's like a few miles per second, on an individual ball in some of those bearings. Massive amounts of oil for lubrication is what allows that to happen.
    aha2070, Campbell, 268fords and 2 others like this.
  11. mlorenzini Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks for that very thorough response!
    Big Timmy likes this.
  12. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    You are very welcome sir.
    No thanks is necessary.
  13. mlorenzini Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    So my part came in and it's etched with 233nm on it. Hope to install tomorrow. I'm a bit nervous about it as I'm not a mechanic.
    Huskynoobee likes this.
  14. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Nothing to worry about.
    If it's not out already?

You can tap out the old one with a soft wooden dowel or a brass drift, go lightly. You may not even need to do that.

Warm the case a bit with a heat gun and the other one will slip right in. It may come out that way also if you don't want to tap it out.

You'll need an expandable mandrel blind bearing puller to do the inner case bearing. It's not that hard to get out, Unless your going to keep running it. If so and it feels good still and is servicable, pick the seal out and toss it.
  15. Campbell Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMWG450X
    From my experience testing TL's the NM etching is not worth a pinch of #%!* most test well above the etched value and rarely below. The one I used for my positive oil feed mod was the BMW part# above etched 224nm if I remember correctly and actually tested 280nm and slightly higher after immersion in 80 deg C oil. Speaking of TL's what became of the Zipty TL thread? Tim any idea? I haven't been over here for awhile, but it seems to have been deleted inc my TL mod post....not sure why I bothered.
    Big Timmy likes this.
  16. Barries Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT660Z
    Big Timmy

Would the following from the Bike Bandit fit the 2011 TE511 torque limiter?

BMW Idler Part # 11277719129

Also, the Husky manual is not very clear on where and how to remove and replace the TL and I am not a mechanic by any means

Cheers in advance

Johan
  17. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Campbell, not sure myself haven't been around for a while.
    I could appreciate the work you did and what you hoped to achieve, but with the greatest of respect, the number of failures vs the work involved it really would be wiser to just replace the TL if it eventually failed.
    I'm certainly not trying to detract from what you achieved, but my own TE449 is now plus 300hrs on the original limiter. I'm certainly not a racer and it never sees high grip surfaces like bitumen, but I don't mind opening the throttle.
    I'll be putting a new one in during a freshen up down the track a while.