1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

TE511 rides 2 (dualsport) and 3 (single track)

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Motosportz, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    OK, I have 133 miles on the clock now and have ridden everything from street to tight single track. We have a winner, the bike is the goods. Very versatile, super fun to ride, runs PERFECT all the time, feels light and handles GREAT. Stock suspension is very good, bike feels great on all surfaces and is just a joy to own. This bike is a winner and if it holds up should be a GREAT bike for husky. Much better than i had originally hoped. If you need a versatile, one bike does it all mount, run to your dealer NOW.

So Saturday I got my plate and hit the street. bike works fantastic on the street, Very planted feeling, smooth, pulls hard, handles like nothing else. Fells like a 125 with a 450 engine in it on the street. Awesome street manners. Flogged it pretty good and got 43 MPG. Needs geared up for any serious highway miles. 55 is fine 60 is starting to be to much for sustained speeds. The up side is for DSing first is plenty low so gearing it up for street is a good option. Geared up a little I can't imagine a better DS bike. Fantastic street manners, great off road bike. If it had a gallon more fuel capacity and a taller 6th this would be hands down the best DS going.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Sunday I mad the 140 mile one way trip to hit the only open single track not under snow. I had to find out about the handling. It was me and two buddies on a wooded out and well set up YZ250 and KTM300, this is tight woods and where i like my 125/144, this will be a great test. I got there about a half hour before them so I got some suspension setup and feel for riding the bike in single track. Did about 5.6 miles before they got there and then we headed out. James on the 300 and I are similar speed in the past when i was on my 250 or 144 2 smoke. This will be a good test of how much speed the beast can carry through tight rooty, rocky 1-3 gear single track. Not sure what was wrong with the testers that said this bike does not like to turn!!! I feel it turns great, not RM dart and twitch handling but turns excellent, smooth and controlled. And this is with the crappy stock FIM DS tires Feels planted at all times, gets into a flow EZ and feels light, yes, i said light. I rode 46 miles of tight single track. In this area than is good miles and you are usually cooked. I felt not worked at all and this morning feel great. This is a great bike. I loved riding the single track on it. Felt much like the FE390 Berg I loved but to me better. Feels lighter and the lack of engine braking is brilliant especially in single track. Your not fighting the on / off power, feels much like a 250 2st to me but with better power, great traction and planted everywhere. I was able to keep it in front of James all day (he loved the bike BTW) on his 300 which is saying a lot and a testament to how good the bike is. i have ridden a 08 TXC510 here and hated it, way to much bike and felt top heavy, this bike feels nothing like that. My own 08 TXC450 was not near as good here ether. The smooth and perfect power (lots of power that never wears you out), lack of engine braking, sweet flowing turning, great suspension and complete connection with the terrain make this bike an excellent single track machine. The handling, the last big performance question has been answered in my mind. The bike handles GREAT. This is a fantastic do it all machine. It has been a turn the key and hit that type of ride. On top of all that it is REALLY fun to ride. Maybe not 125 fun but really close. The snappy power, the great traction and the willingness to jump off and respond to anything is great and fun.

This bike really is MUCH better than i had hoped or thought it could be.

I do have some vid but unfortunately when we got to the tight stuff my batteries were dead!!! Fark as there was some really good stuff. Single track day...

Note I took the rear lights and lic plate bracket off (two bolts and th entire thing slides off, excellent), took the mirrors off and put the stock hand shields on.

[IMG]

trails there are rooty and rocky and tight. 1st gear tight in many areas.

[IMG]

Rollie had a little issue with staying on the trail and yanked his throttle cable, fixing it here...

[IMG]

I took very few pix as we kept the hammer down but this is what the area and more open single track looks like.

[IMG]

Will up load some vid today although i did not get much.

This is a great do it all bike and i am very happy with it. It is basically a stick gas in it and ride whatever you like kinda machine. Always starts right up and is happy to please. Really EZ to be around and ride. Makes things EZ, always feels in a flow and accommodating, not fighting you. I really like this bike. The FE390 Berg was my top 4st choice until now, this bike out Bergs the Berg IMHO. Feels lighter, has great balance and EZ to ride flowing feel to it and never seems to get in the way. IMHO this bike should be a huge hit for husky regardless of the three country stepchild origins.

A few points about the bike so far...

- things that seem goofy and superficial at first might not be. The front fender, not my favorite looking part is VERY functional in that unlike many other DS bikes is well braced, stays vibrations free at highway speeds and seems like the aerodynamics of it do not impart feeling on the handling.

- the bike is very quiet and stealthy

- I am not getting good single track mileage and might try the lean map there to see if that improves.

- the rear blinkers, tail light assembly comes off in a minute with one 8mm wrench, nice.

- the bike is fun to wash as it is sexy and curvy but complicated and lots of pockets of features to wash. Is kind of a PITA to wash.

- Rear fender is a non issue and does not mess with me at all (6 foot 205 pounds)

- the bike is EZ to live with and is set up great for push the buttn and go.

- The CTS works, i have never ridden a bike where the rear end feels so connected and the power feels so instant and connected to the ground.

- EFI is flawless, bike starts perfect,m runs perfect and has amazing throttle response. If you are loose with the throttle you will pay though. It doe exacly what you ask, right now, make sure to ask the right things. :>)

- This bike handles great and feel light.

- Very nice street manners, the SM guys should be super happy with this platform.

- I bet the TC makes a fantastic EZ to live with and rewarding Vet or average guy MX bike. Sweet power, flowing handling and likes to jump / land.

- Clutch is smooth, predictable and disengages the clutch completely unlike in the past.

- Bike has nearly no rolling resistance when pushing it around the shop etc.

- Has a tall, above the trail, not going to smash the frame or feet into anything feeling i like.

I'm having a real hard time finding negatives on this bike. Needs to hold more fuel and have a taller 6th, then it is near perfect. I am a completely happy buyer. Much better than expected.
  2. hamiltonuh60 Husqvarna
    A Class

Very good ride report as usual Kelly. Can't wait for updates. I was very skeptic on the new model and design, but you guys are just making me jealous. Now I need to tell the wife that it's time to upgrade.

How's the R&D coming for new parts on these beauties?
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    there will be no parts for this bike, every spare second i have will be riding it. [IMG]
  4. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

From the spec sheets, the gearing in the new 511 is very close to being identical as the 08-10 510. Is this not correct?
  5. HomeFinance Husqvarna
    A Class

Just talked to Garry at EFM. Someone is sending him their clutch off of a 449 so he can make a auto clutch. He said that he made them for the BMW. Rekluse said that they would look at it but did not sound to enthusiastic.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Clutch is super smooth, EFI is perfect and the motor is sweet, not sure i need an autoclutch on this one. Stalled it once all day on heard rd side tight single track and that was my fault.
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Semi lame vid of me warming up the bike on the 2 track stuff awaiting my friends...

8. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    Wow that does sound quiet. I like that. Quieter bikes piss off greenies less. Plus, it's better for your hearing and being able to hear something besides the bike's exhaust is nice.
  9. boisedave Husqvarna
    AA Class

Nice write up Kelly. What do you expect for range in the woods?
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    50 miles as is but i think it is running rich (even though it runs perfect) so will try the lean map next time on sigle track. I bet it gets much better. Got 43 MPG DSing it. I think it is rich off the bottom which is where you spend a lot of time in single track tight stuff.
  11. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    I hope those are supposed to be 1 way trails, if not my nerves would be shot, if the speeds went up.
  12. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Must. Fight. Temptation. Own. Too. Many. Bikes. Already. Must fight! Must. Fight. Temptation..... [IMG]
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Two way trails on a busy weekend. Scary to say the least. Hence the slow it down around corners riding. Once out of the area and into the single track that my video did not get, it is on.
  14. ioneater Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Sprint
    "Now my feet are wet! Bleep!" [IMG] That thing is quiet, though. Any word how much louder the Akro would be?
  15. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Great report Kelly. [IMG] Sounds like you found a new great bike.
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I had to rewatch the vid as I was wondering why everyone kept mentioning my wet feet. [IMG] oops.
  17. Raku Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks for the report, Kelly. I'm going to head down to Tasky's this week to see one in person. Man, that thing is quiet!
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    You are back [IMG] Lets hook up for a ride ASAP.
  19. Planepower Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TC 250/ 450 6spd, 2007 SMR 530
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducat 1198S, SV1000, CBR125, DRZ125
    You're a great salesman! Now how do I get rid of my TC 250 to get a new 511?? ;)
  20. firffighter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Agreed, great report Kelly.

Dang you! I just got all settled into a long term relationship with my Gasgas. Now you got me thinking evil thoughts about the ability to head out of my house and hit nice fireroads and trails in 5 min. and still be able to attack singletrack and enduros with 1 bike!