1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

TE511 EFM autoclutch installed and use...

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Motosportz, May 25, 2015.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I traded a used Lectron carb for a used EFM autoclutch for my TE511. When it came I was a little shocked by the high school shop looking parts and no real instructions. Installed it as per what instructions could be found and a guide from the previous owner. It slipped like crazy. Parked the bike and forgot about it as i had other bikes I was really riding. Then the other day got an invite to go DSing and wanted to take my TE511 as it is a monster DS bike. Took 2 of the spacing shims out and got it to not slip. It does drag slightly when in gear and the bike tries to creep forward slightly but it engages well and holds strong. Was a little spooked I'd get a few miles into the ride to find out it slips or something is going to come apart. Basically was not super confident this this part. Rolled the dice and headed out. Had a fantastic ride. http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/awesome-140-mile-ds-ride.80221/#post-529970

Clutch works amazing. Nearly impossible to stall the bike. I got it to stall like twice but you have to really try. Clutch engages so smooth you can't feel it. Feels like an automatic but has a nice strong engagement and does not slip. shifting is easy up or down. Other than the slight drag making neutral hard to find stopped it works great. Zero issues in 140 miles and lots of fun was had. Even did a few miles of very tight single track where were were on and off a lot in the lower gears and in hot weather and no issues. Not a squeal or peep out of it. Worked just like I had hoped. BTW you do loose the use of your clutch lever, I thought I would miss this but after a few miles I was not missing it at all. I removed the lever completely.
    Dangermouse449 likes this.
  2. Russ Henry Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TXC 310
    How was the engine braking ? My buddy had a TXC 511 with the efm and said it made the bike over heat
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

I know. I rode yours with it in there remember? Engine braking is normal. I did a 140 DS and zero issues. Was not a ton of single track but did about 5 miles of very tight single track in 85 degree heat, zero issues. Seem to work well. When I first installed it in slipped like crazy in taller gears. Removed 2 shims and it fixed that. I was EZ on it as first as it freaked me out with the reports of slipping and over heating. By 30 miles into our 140 mile rip I treated it like I thought there was no issues and had no problems. Was yanking many 4th and 5th gear wheelies, no slippage. Seemed to work perfect other than a slight creeping at idle in gear. I'll live with that. Could probably tune it out but as I have zero slippage now I don't want to introduce some. Will be changing oil today and will see if it is cooked, don't think it will be.
  4. Husq-a-daygo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    15' TE300, 16'FE450
    I gave the efm a shot. Didn't like the lack of engine brake and I just couldn't get over the lack of clutch lever as I tend to rely on feathering the clutch. Note: I had to call Gerry (the guy who makes them) to interpret the instructions.
    Glad it's working out for you Kelly.
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Engine brakes just like normal. :excuseme:
  6. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    I had an efm on my 08 te250. bought used. bolted right in and work from the gitgo. I was curious about the 449/511, isn't the clutch mounted on the crank or something? I read those clutches spin faster than others
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Yes clutch is small (as it has mechanical advantage) and on the end of the crank so spins faster than a standard gear reduced clutch.
  8. Russ Henry Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TXC 310
    My 449 did not have the EFM. That must have been my friends 511
    Now we need to get you converted to the LHRB
  9. PawPaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TC 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Crf450R + old CB750
    I have not heard of an "EFM". What is it?

Paw Paw
  10. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    It's like a Rekluse, but a little different design. It's the only auto clutch available for the 449/511 I believe. I dunno I'd really have to try one first. Seems weird not having a clutch. I have experimented with the idea of a LHRB on really nasty downhill sections where I need both feet and use the clutch as a rear brake with the engine off.
  11. PawPaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TC 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    I have a Rekluse on my CRF450R and just love it. I have used it for 3 years now.
    I did not know anyone made a slipper style clutch for the 2013 Husqvarna TC449.
    I found the web site for EFM and they don't show one for the bike either.
    Are we sure they make one for it?
    Part number?
    Thanks for the help.

Paw Paw
  12. PawPaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TC 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Please explain the install of this unit. I found that they do make one for my 2013 TC449, but I have no idea as to how hard the install is for this unit. I have installed and used Rekluse units of different types.

Thank you,
    Paw Paw
  13. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    You remove your stock clutch and send it to them. They rework it and send it back with installation directions which I found to be more than adequate. In my case it was returned to me in a little over a week and required no adjustment other than cable slack.
    It is no different than installing a stock clutch.
  14. PawPaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TC 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    The TC449 has a hydraulic clutch. When I contacted the business they told me I would not be able to use my clutch lever and none would be needed. They have however been very vague on what is needed to get one installed nor have they told me the stock unit has to be sent to them for reworking.
    They don't seem to be very forth coming with info.
    All they have told me is that it would cost $675 plus shipping.

Paw Paw
  15. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    That's interesting, I found Gary (the owner) very helpful.

Maybe Kelly will chime in here, if not PM him to get his attention:)
  16. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    From what I've read the owner is basically a one man band. Good luck Paw Paw
  17. PawPaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TC 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    I was in contact with EFM again today and I was assured that the unit for my bike is complete when shipped. All have to do is remove my clutch and install the EFM unit. I don't have to send in my clutch.
    I am really considering it at this time as I love my Rekluse units.

Paw Paw
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Sorry was gone for 4 fantastic days of racing and riding. Yes, EFM makes one. No, you don't need to send them anything as the stock pressure plate already bolts to the clutch hub as needed. Just remove your center hub and install the EFM and adjust. It works just like a rekluse. No, you cannot retain your lever which for me seems to be a non issue. I will know more as I get more miles on it but working fine so far. I like it.
  19. domrvt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    1978 CT90, 1982 NU50M
    I just picked up one of these used on here from Robster. Shipped it from Sweden but got here quickly and for a good price. He also took pics and made instructions since those are pretty lacking from EFM! He's got some other 449/511 parts in the classifieds if anyone's interested. There's an older thread where the adjustment and install is addressed that I also found useful: http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/will-rekluse-make-a-clutch-package-for-my-11-tc-449.39529/
    I've got it installed and loving it so far. I think I'll try the LHRB with the useless clutch lever next.
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Got those but thanks. Last ride it or the TL was slipping some. Crap.