1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Te511 30 Amp fuse blown and electrical problems, need help please

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Freekman, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Freekman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511
    Ok to make a short story long (just trying to give as many details as possible) I was riding today and flipped my bike...hard. It was still running when it was on the ground so I shut it off inspected everything and rode away. I rode for like 10 miles then stopped to find the nearest gas station. I started to ride away I was in 3rd though by accident so as I was about to shift down the bike went dead. Like completely aka no lights no dash nothing. I found that the 30 amp fuse was blown. The tail of my bike got pretty messed up so I inspected the area and saw 2 blinker wires that were touching. Is this enough to blow the main 30 amp fuse? I spread everything apart and replaced the 30 amp with what I think was a spare (It didn't look like there were any leads going to that fuse, but I have seen people on here referring to have 2 active 30 amp fuses so I may be making a mistake). Now the bike will turn on the dash and give me an error message and won't turn over also the dash shuts off immediately if you let go of the starter button. So I checked the clutch cable which looked fine, and when I disconnect it (i couldn't make a jumper) the dash won't turn on so I am assuming the clutch cable is fine. I remeber that the bike would behave similarly when I unplugged my Bazaaz, so I tried to rewire it back to stock, but couldn't do it on the side of the road. So tomorrow I am going to strip the whole bike down and look for an issue, I am hoping you guys can point me in the right direction.

to summarize
    1. Can a short in the blinkers blow the 30 amp fuse
    2. based on that behavior could my bazaaz be at fault
    3. Could it be the clutch lever sensor.
    4. do i need to have both of those 30 amp fuses in or is one a backup

thanks again
  2. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Sounds like a short. We had so many problems with the bazaaz harness we dumped them and ran pcvs. Not saying that is your problem directly, but I think you have a short somewhere.
  3. Freekman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511
    So there was an obvious short in the tail light like I thought and a suspect wire in the Bazzaz harness, so I unplugged the bazzaz and went back to stock ecu, I also unplugged the entire tail light harness. Still having the same problem. I didn't see any other problems with the connections around the engine and it wasn't the clutch lever sensor. I guess I am going to check the headlight assembly tomorrow. Can the bike start without the lights? are there any common places you think I should look?
  4. Freekman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511
    Ok, today I go back and just try to start it up again without changing anything...starts up, but won't shut down. I'll press the shutdown button and will will just start to turn over again. It is like the starter button and the shutoff button are fighting. I am going to take a look at the button assembly itself tomorrow. any tips on what I should look for?
  5. danny318 ___________

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    TTR230, '72 CT90
    You may want to pull the wires off the buttons and 'fire' them manually. If starting /stopping works that way, then at least you know the problem is definitely in the button/switch mechanism and not something else further down the line.
  6. Freekman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511
    good tip. gonna try it now
  7. Freekman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511
    that wasn't the issue. I am pretty much lost at this point. I am willing to just take it to a shop, but I don't have any way of getting it there. Can you give me any other ideas of where to look? Also the battery is dead now (or the starter is slowly dying) can I hook it up to one of those car charging things just for a second to see if I have wiring straight?
  8. danny318 ___________

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    TTR230, '72 CT90
    You can hook it up to a battery charger, yeah.

I haven't looked at the fuses much myself, but I'm suspect of the 2 30 amp fuse thing. Maybe one is blown, or another fuse is blown. Worth looking at all the fuses.

Also don't give up man. Getting through something like this is worth it.
    I bet its something stupid, some short, some blown fuse, something unplugged or broke.

I can't see anything important getting fried from the short, esp since you changed out ECU's.
  9. Freekman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511
    I am about to look like a complete idiot but it is worth it...Isn't there only one 30amp fuse. I thought the other fuse was an extra. The manual I have only refers to it as a single fuse never the plural "fuses". I don't see and connections from that go into the fuse holder on the bottom side of the solenoid. I'll go out and buy another fuse tomorrow, but It is strange to me that it would do anything with one fuse completely missing.
  10. Jetmech25 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    2005 LTZ400 quad
    Not only on Huskies, but the 30 amp often blows on street bikes when you change the battery. What I'm getting at is that you should make sure your larger wires aren't loose, such as battery terminals, starter terminals, ignition wires, and all large ground wires. Dumping it can knock one loose enough to make it do all kinds of weird things that come and go. It doesn't take much either, particularly with ground wires.
  11. Freekman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511
    yeah it wasn't the fuses so I guess I have to go back to my systematic search..argh
  12. danny318 ___________

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    TTR230, '72 CT90
  13. Freekman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511
    haha I am glad to see you are as invested in this as I am at least
    danny318 likes this.
  14. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Look at the bright side! When you get this figured out, you will be intimatley familiar with your electrical system. I'm assuming you have a good multimeter to check continuity, ohm things out, etc.
  15. Freekman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511
    Nope...I was gonna buy one this weekend. classes make it hard to get to the store. I know it is a great tool to have around, but what would you suggest me spending on one? Also how likely do you guys the the solenoid being at fault is?
  16. danny318 ___________

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    TTR230, '72 CT90
  17. Jetmech25 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    2005 LTZ400 quad
    Maybe $15-$20.
  18. Dentman67 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    1979 CR250R Elsinore
    Check the wire harness in two places. If on the bike the right side, open up the harness that runs under the air box. Mine was fried there in several spots. Also left side near plug area, main thick harnes. Look in there for where the pink wire joins a blue with green trace and a diode. The diode is what keeps the starter from running and running after releasing the button. I just replaced mine yesterday. Good luck and try not to be to shocked when you see just how poorly the wire harness is made. I rewired my whole bike damn near, no more 5-18 gauge wires spliced into one connections on my bike. Also added several ground points including EFI
  19. Freekman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511
    I just checkout out all the wiring near the air box, and a little bit around the main harness, but I don't exactly know what diode you are talking about, can you post a pic by any chance. also will I have to solder a new diode on if that is the problem
  20. Freekman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511
    Also what are the specs of the diode so I can get a replacement (hopefully that is the problem). Another edit. are there basically 3 main ground wire that I should check?

UPDATE:
    I think this nightmere may finally be almost over. I tested the diode and got .001 ohms on both sides meaning that it is open. The diode type is a 1N5408 for anybody who needs to know. I am going to through in a 1N5402 which is a 3 amp diode with a peak inverse voltage of 200V instead of 1000V just to test it. I'll update again with results

UPDATE
    so it was that fuse. The 1N5402 worked, but I am going to get the right one and solder is all back up. Thanks for all the help everybody
    danny318 likes this.