1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Te510 starting/eletrical/fuel issues

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by RideLI631, Apr 12, 2013.

1. RideLI631 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 FE501, 09 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hypermotard, Honda Shadow ,DR650
    My 09 te510 has been giving me a serious headache for a while now. So I go to start my bike, after iTurn the key on and click the run/stop switch to run position (normally the fuel pump will prime for a few moments then the bike is ready to start.) all that happens in my case is one click from the fuel pump relay no fuel pump prime and the bike does not start. It cranks fine but will not start. The problem has been intermittent and sometimes the bike will work ok and start like it should. But then I will be out riding and the bike will randomly die and have the same no start symptoms for any given amount of time. Then randomly I will go try to start it and it will work again later on. Sometime 2 minutes later sometime 2 hours or even days later. I removed the fuel pump and hard wired it to test and it works fine. I switch the fuel pump relay with other (fan) relays on the bike and the same things happens. I purchased a new wiring harness and installed it as well thinking I had a ground problem or frayed connection somewhere. Installation of the new harness changed the symptoms to when the tank is disconnected and you turn the run switch on you hear the fuel pump relay click twice like it is supposed to. But when I connect the fuel pump it only clicks once like it did before I replaced the harness. I have another 09 te 510 that I swapped the tank with to see if that did anything and it was the same result as the original tank. I am truly stumped at this point and want to see if anyone has any insite or experience with a similar issue. Any help is greatly appreciated!
  2. James Patton Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2012, WR125 2006
    Other Motorcycles:
    1250S Bandit, DRZ400S
    The only thing you have not changed is the fuel pump. Voltage the same, hooked up on bike as on bench?
    What about the muti connector, going to the fuel pump, often problems are that simple. Hard to help, as
    Your saying each component is good. If its like other fuel injected bikes, it may be another component causing
    Fuel pump to stop prime, (should be error on dash though) temp sensor, if you saying its fine with tank off,
    Is a line collapsed, plugged, bent, system vent, if it has one, keep us informed, maybe someone with this bike
    Can chime in, good luck...
  3. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Since you have used 2 different wiring harnesses, 2 different fuel pumps and different relays and the problems persists I will suggest the following:

The Green with red stripe wire is critical to our bikes, it connects to all of these:
    Fuel Injector
    Fuel pump relay
    Fuel pump
    Coil
    If there is any grounding out on this circuit, the ECU shuts it all off, since the pump, the injector and the coil all represent a fire hazard.

Check the wire from the coil that the Green wire with red stripe connects to, make sure there is not a bare spot or a tear in the wire under the sheathing or that the plastic connector is bad .

Check the wire from the fuel injector that the Green wire with red stripe connects to, make sure there is not a bare spot or a tear in the wire under the sheathing or that the plastic connector is bad.

You have used 2 different tanks, but you should still check the fuel pump Green wire with red stripe wire, for continuity, and for grounding.

Also, replace the P fuse and check the Green wire into the P fuse for continuity and grounding, that Green wire and P fuse is where you get the power for all the above mentioned parts.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  4. pointman449 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 txc449
    well mine is a 11 txc449 but it sounds like the same problem that i had , i checked , re-checked and checked some more . i changed out several parts and finally bought the fuel pump and that was it . now i run ONLY ethanol free fuel in my scoot and it runs great.
    good luck
  5. Motardski Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 510 smr
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 WR400
    I have the absolute exact same symptoms on my 2010 Husky 510 SMR. I have checked all wiring and replaced all fuses. I talked to Brian at halls cycles and he thought it would be the relay...$10 is worth a shot. Relay should be here in 2 days. From what I read here it looks like the problem is the fuel pump. Where did you get your fuel pump and have you had any issues since? Also did you just order the fuel pump or the entire assembly. The fuel pump i was recommended by Halls Cycles is $135 from California cycle works. The entire fuel pump assembly is $750. Did you also replace the fuel pump filter? If so where should i get that, is there an aftermarket one since the OEM are discontinued?
  6. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Check the connection at the fuel pump, check the Green with red stripe wire all thru the harness for bare spots.
  7. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF 100, Kawasaki KLX 110
    Deffinately check the whole harness. While your checking it, try to alleviate any rubbing issues. A little bit of clear silicone will work. After all the problems older husky rider had to deal with, I went through mine with a fine tooth comb.