1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Te450 Head Gasket ??

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by pe-te450, Aug 27, 2018.

1. pe-te450 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 te450
    Hi Everyone , new to the cafe , first post.
    Just became the new owner of a 2008 te450.
    Bought it with a " blown head gasket " , it came with the parts required .
    I did start the bike when purchased and it ran fine , i didnt run it for long as i was aware of the supposed problem., and had assumed the coolant had been removed , the oil was clear when inspected before starting but was noted to be milky the next day ( there was still some "water " in the system )
    This was the first one of these motors i have disassembled, and after pulling it apart i am not sure the gasket was blown at all , there is no marks to indicate any failure.
    Is it possible the water pump seal was the problem all along ( it didnt look bad ) ??
    These motors have a different set up with the seal as its only a single, double sided seal not 2 x seals with a gap so there is no weep hole to indicate seal failure. are the seals a common failure ?
    Has anyone fitted 2 x seals and drilled a hole to allow the water into the weep hole area ??
    Thanks in advance for any help
    Peter
  2. csnipes Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE310
    Welcome Peter,
    I am new here also, so I don't have any good information for you. I just wanted to welcome you and wish you luck on your project.
  3. pe-te450 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 te450
    Thanks for the welcome.
    I could have used the dfeckel " foolproof cam timing " thread last week when i was trying to put the cams back in !! would have been alot quicker.
    Any way , i have the head on with new gasket , cams in and timed .
    Waiting for the water pump seal to turn up ( soon )
    hopefully this will stop the water in oil issue ?
    Peter
  4. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF 100, Kawasaki KLX 110
    I don’t recall any head gasket failure threads on the Italian big blocks. The sight glass on my 510 has looked milky for the last nine years, but water levels have never dropped. I’ve never noticed any water in the oil during oil changes, but like I said, the sight window always looks like there is water in the oil.
  5. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

When these 4 st bikes came out in 04, they had a nasty habit of blowing the small crossover hose that connected the radiators. The bike would then overheat and blow the head gaskets. Uptite used to sell a "crossover fix". It seems the hose they used on 2 strokes did not contain the heat and pressure of the 4 st motors in tight woods. it was fixed on later models.

I had a friend that had an 05 or 06 that always smelled of coolant once it warmed up and he just kep adding coolant after every ride.
  6. pe-te450 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 te450
    Thanks for the replies .
    It seems to be ok now anyway , have run it a few times to get it hot enough for the fan to come on . coolant level hasnt dropped so fingers crossed its fixed.