1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

81"420 ae rebuild

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by dumpbear, Mar 29, 2018.

1. dumpbear Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    360wr burl rep/74works bike/76360wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    goldwing
    Hey Guys I have started the rebuild on my 420ae when i got into it i see i have wear on the inside of the the case it looks just like this one on ebay.Do you auto guys have the same problem,if so how do you fix it? I thought if you put a thin washer on the end of the shaft against the bearing that would move the assembly over enough to keep it from rubbing and not add to the contamination of the oil.What do you think?as always thanks for your help.
    Tom

Attached Files:

2. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many vintage big bore and automatics
    Tom,
    That rubbing or lite wear on the case will not be a problem. On the end of that input shaft is a small shim #13 part# 161284201 in the part list diagram. Check it to make sure that shim is not worn down.

Marty
  3. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    My 390 cases have a similar mark to that, but it looks like it was machined at the factory to clear up casting differences.
    But do as Marty says and check all the shims (there's not many). I replaced all of mine anyway.
  4. dumpbear Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    goldwing
    Thanks Marty & Grouty so where do i get the shims
  5. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tom,
    Do you have the shim or is it missing?

Marty
  6. dumpbear Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    goldwing
    Yes Marty i do have the shim i was just thinking putting a shim between the bearing and what is called the driving wheel in the parts list instead of the driving wheel riding against the bearing.
    Tom
  7. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tom,
    If the shim is not worn you should not need to add another shim between the drive wheel and the bearing.

Marty
  8. dumpbear Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    goldwing
    The shim looks good and i guess the case is probably wore all its going to ware thanks guys should have the bottom back together this week and take the cylinder in to have it bored. Hopefully i can have it done in a week or so then on to the frame and tank, seat, ect.
  9. dumpbear Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    goldwing
    Well we got the bottom end all put together yesterday and as Grouty once told me "once you rebuild one you will wonder what the fuss was all about" and you were rite Grouty :notworthy: It was a piece of cake my cousin who is working with me on the motor said if he new they were this easy he would have bought one years ago.Now he is thinking of buying one.We did put a shim between the bearing and the driving wheel, i think that's what its called in the parts diagram it moved the clutch assembly over just a tick to get it off the center of the case.My cuz was digging through a bucket of 360wr parts and he hands me a shim as says see how that fits and it fit like it was made for it.We put the cover on and there was no binding everything turn'ed smoothly I guess things are wore enough as not to bind things up.Now i'm waiting for the piston set to arrive so i can get the cylinder bored maybe it comes today i hope.