1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

TE449 Voltage regulator/rectifier replacement

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Marc Noel, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Marc Noel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    I have a handlebar-mounted voltmeter. Today, I saw that the voltage output on the highway dropped from about 13.3 to 12.5, then waivered between 12.4 and 12.6. I will be using a multimeter to check things, but, if it turns out my regulator is shot, can I use a universal one? It doesn't appear that I can find an OEM replacement. Also, is the original AC or DC? I've found conflicting information regarding that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    hey Marc-
    check your regulator mount & wire connections first. sounds like your reg wants to work. Use oil, wd40 or silicone grease on the cleaned & tightened electrical connections. these regs (which also function first as rectifiers) have full power going through them always when the engine is running. aka shunt regulator. they can take it.

most modern motorcycle regulators will work if spliced in correctly (exception is the keyless street legal huskies).

I searched on #8000 H5045 and found them available (6-8weeks! which could mean not available) for $60USD and up ($225!). Seems like some Husebergs used them also.

good luck.
  3. Marc Noel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Trenchcoat:

Thanks for your advice. That's what I've read elsewhere.

The part # I found in the 2011 parts catalog is 8000H3368. Where did you find the one you posted?
  4. Marc Noel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    The part number for 2011 is the one I posted. The 2013 is the one you posted. Should I switch over, if necessary?
  5. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    i think i got it from the 2012 parts catalog (my 'average" 449/511. the 2011 is slightly odball). i'd guess there would be no problem using the newer one but do the research (why the change?)

couple of points: do the wire, mount, switch, connection, grease thingy first before you do anything else. this will solve your problem I bet. the other point: talk to the FB group. not enough 449 action here anymore.
  6. Marc Noel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Trenchcoat:

Turned out to be some burned-out windings in my stator. Got it re-wound here in Victoria for $ 224.00 CDN, taxes included.

Voltage output at idle and maximum is 14. I did see 13.9, 13.8, then 14. It never occurred to me that my alternator was degrading over time. I got a handlebar-mounted voltmeter a couple years ago, and thought 12.6 at idle was just the battery's charge, thinking the charging system wouldn't kick in until 3,000 RPM.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.